Integrating F over a Paraboloid Region

In summary: Sorry to be so late getting back to this thread, but I think something is getting missing in translation. Usually in describing limits on an integral when you say from ##a## to ##b## you would assume ##a## is the lower limit and ##b## is the upper limit.Since ##x≥0##, is it implied that the lower limit should be taken to be ##-\frac{3\pi}{2}##?Yes, but that doesn't pin down the bounds on theta. For example, π/2 to 0 would seem to be right if you base it only that. I don't think you can do better than consider what the physical region looks like and deduce the range for
lumpyduster

Homework Statement

Let F = <x, z, xz> evaluate ∫∫F⋅dS for the following region:

x2+y2≤z≤1 and x≥0

Homework Equations

Gauss Theorem

∫∫∫(∇⋅F)dV = ∫∫F⋅dS

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the graph of the entire function:

upload_2014-12-17_21-31-15.png

Thank you Wolfram Alpha.

But my surface is just the half of this paraboloid where x is positive. So I thought if I looked down the x-axis I would get something like this:

upload_2014-12-17_21-36-46.png

But only the right half of the circle (from -3π/2 to π/2)...

The integral I set up is the following:

∫∫∫xdzdxdy (x is the dot product of ∇ and F)

I converted to polar coordinates

∫∫∫r2cosθdzdrdθ

Bounds:
r2≤z≤1

0≤r≤1

-3π/2≤θ≤π/2

I ended up getting

-(4/15)∫cosθdθ
-3π/2≤θ≤π/2

(4/15)[sin(π/2)-sin(-3π/2)] = 0

Answer should be 4/15 according to the back of the book.

Attachments

• upload_2014-12-17_21-31-2.png
    upload_2014-12-17_21-31-2.png
    9 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org
lumpyduster said:

Homework Statement

Let F = <x, z, xz> evaluate ∫∫F⋅dS for the following region:

x2+y2≤z≤1 and x≥0

Homework Equations

Gauss Theorem

∫∫∫(∇⋅F)dV = ∫∫F⋅dS

The Attempt at a Solution

But only the right half of the circle (from -3π/2 to π/2)...

That is not the correct range for the ##x## positive half of the circle. Do you really mean ##-\frac{3\pi}{2}##?

The integral I set up is the following:

∫∫∫xdzdxdy (x is the dot product of ∇ and F)

Check ##\nabla \cdot \vec F## again.

Likes lumpyduster
lumpyduster said:
This is the graph of the entire function
Well, no, it shows the region (at least, it would if truncated at z = 1 instead of z = 4).
lumpyduster said:
x is the dot product of ∇ and F
Are you sure? I get another term.
lumpyduster said:
-3π/2≤θ≤π/2
Think about that lower bound again. Where is -3π/2 in the plane?

Edit: beaten to the post by LCK (again).

Likes lumpyduster
LCKurtz said:
That is not the correct range for the ##x## positive half of the circle. Do you really mean ##-\frac{3\pi}{2}##?
Check ##\nabla \cdot \vec F## again.

haruspex said:
Well, no, it shows the region (at least, it would if truncated at z = 1 instead of z = 4).

Are you sure? I get another term.

Think about that lower bound again. Where is -3π/2 in the plane?

Edit: beaten to the post by LCK (again).

Not sure at all about the lower bound... Should it be 3π/2? I was going to also say 0 to π, but if my upper bound is correct then that would be wrong.

lumpyduster said:
Not sure at all about the lower bound... Should it be 3π/2?
That should work.

haruspex said:
That should work.
So I will integrate from π/2 to 3π/2? I guess I'm confused how to take into account that x≥0 when switching to polar coordinates. I just know I want to go from x=0 to x=1 on the Cartesian coordinate system. Would 0 to π also work?

lumpyduster said:
So I will integrate from π/2 to 3π/2?
No, you said 3π/2 for the lower bound, not the upper bound.

haruspex said:
No, you said 3π/2 for the lower bound, not the upper bound.
Yeah I probably sound like a total noob here, but I've never done an integral where my lower bound was greater than my upper bound... Will try and report back if necessary :)

lumpyduster said:
Yeah I probably sound like a total noob here, but I've never done an integral where my lower bound was greater than my upper bound... Will try and report back if necessary :)
You can take the lower bound to be -π/2 if you prefer. It should give the same result.

haruspex said:
You can take the lower bound to be -π/2 if you prefer. It should give the same result.
I just don't know how to get these bounds though... Can I say that since 0≤x≤1 and since x=rcosθ and r=1, that arccos(0)≤θ≤arccos1?

Thank you for your help!

lumpyduster said:
I just don't know how to get these bounds though... Can I say that since 0≤x≤1 and since x=rcosθ and r=1, that arccos(0)≤θ≤arccos1?
Yes, but that doesn't pin down the bounds on theta. For example, π/2 to 0 would seem to be right if you base it only that. I don't think you can do better than consider what the physical region looks like and deduce the range for theta from that. Just bear in mind that running theta continuously from the lower bound to the upper bound (together with the ranges on r and z) must reach each point of the region exactly once, and no points outside the region.

Likes lumpyduster
haruspex said:
Yes, but that doesn't pin down the bounds on theta. For example, π/2 to 0 would seem to be right if you base it only that. I don't think you can do better than consider what the physical region looks like and deduce the range for theta from that. Just bear in mind that running theta continuously from the lower bound to the upper bound (together with the ranges on r and z) must reach each point of the region exactly once, and no points outside the region.

Sorry to be so late getting back to this thread, but I think something is getting missing in translation. Usually in describing limits on an integral when you say from ##a## to ##b## you would assume ##a## is the lower limit and ##b## is the upper limit, and ##a < b##. You integrate in the positive direction. So you would say from ##0## to ##\pi / 2## to describe the first quadrant, not ##\pi /2## to ##0##. If you want to describe the right side of the circle you could go from ##-\pi /2## to ##\pi /2## or from ##3\pi /2## to ##5\pi /2## or something similar.

LCKurtz said:
Sorry to be so late getting back to this thread, but I think something is getting missing in translation. Usually in describing limits on an integral when you say from ##a## to ##b## you would assume ##a## is the lower limit and ##b## is the upper limit, and ##a < b##. You integrate in the positive direction. So you would say from ##0## to ##\pi / 2## to describe the first quadrant, not ##\pi /2## to ##0##. If you want to describe the right side of the circle you could go from ##-\pi /2## to ##\pi /2## or from ##3\pi /2## to ##5\pi /2## or something similar.
I think you misunderstand the point I was making. I was saying that in order to find the limits on theta for integration it is not sufficient to consider the range of values that cos(theta) can take. You might miss part of the range (since over the range of theta some cos(theta) values are repeated), or include regions which are not in the range (like going from 0 to 5pi/2), or, as you note, get the upper and lower limits reversed.

What is the formula for integrating F over a paraboloid region?

The formula for integrating F over a paraboloid region can be written as:

∫∫∫R F(x,y,z) dV = ∫∫D0√(R2 - x2 - y2) F(x,y,z) dz dA

where R is the radius of the paraboloid and D is the projection of the region onto the xy-plane.

What is the general approach for integrating F over a paraboloid region?

The general approach for integrating F over a paraboloid region is to first find the projection of the region onto the xy-plane. Then, set up the triple integral using the formula for integrating over a paraboloid region. Finally, evaluate the integral using appropriate techniques, such as changing to polar coordinates or using the substitution method.

What are some common applications of integrating F over a paraboloid region?

Integrating F over a paraboloid region has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used to calculate the volume of a solid with a paraboloid shape, such as a water tank or a satellite dish. It is also used in calculating the center of mass or moment of inertia of objects with paraboloid symmetry.

How do I determine the limits of integration for a paraboloid region?

The limits of integration for a paraboloid region can be determined by considering the projection of the region onto the xy-plane. The limits for the z-variable will be determined by the equation of the paraboloid. For the x and y-variables, the limits will be determined by the projection onto the xy-plane. It is important to carefully consider the shape and orientation of the region to determine the correct limits of integration.

Can I use other coordinate systems besides Cartesian coordinates when integrating over a paraboloid region?

Yes, other coordinate systems such as cylindrical or spherical coordinates can also be used for integrating over a paraboloid region. In fact, using these coordinate systems can often simplify the calculation and make it easier to determine the limits of integration. However, it is important to make sure that the integral is set up correctly and that the appropriate conversion factors are used.