Is Flow Rate in Open Channels Affected by Backpressure?

In summary: No, I meant after a certain amount of time, the flow rate will gradually decrease until it reaches zero at the entrance to the piezometer. No, I meant after a certain amount of time, the flow rate will gradually decrease until it reaches zero at the entrance to the piezometer.
foo9008

Homework Statement

I was told that the flow rate in open system at 2 points in the pipe system are not the same, is it true??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
foo9008 said:

Homework Statement

I was told that the flow rate in open system at 2 points in the pipe system are not the same, is it true??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Who knows? You talk about open systems, then you mention pipe systems. We weren't there when you were told something vaguely related to flows, so you'll have to provide us with more details and context for the statement in the OP.

SteamKing said:
Who knows? You talk about open systems, then you mention pipe systems. We weren't there when you were told something vaguely related to flows, so you'll have to provide us with more details and context for the statement in the OP.
i mean open pipe system . The example of pipe is shown in the picture

Attachments

• DSC_0545[1].JPG
    DSC_0545[1].JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 305
The two points are very different. One is in then middle of the flow, while the other is at the entrance to a pipe that, ultimately leads nowhere.
Clearly the flow at the second point must eventually taper off to zero.

haruspex said:
The two points are very different. One is in then middle of the flow, while the other is at the entrance to a pipe that, ultimately leads nowhere.
Clearly the flow at the second point must eventually taper off to zero.
so , for this type of open pipe , the flow rate at 2 point are not the same ?

foo9008 said:
so , for this type of open pipe , the flow rate at 2 point are not the same ?
Not sure what you mean by a "type" of open pipe. It's not the type of pipe, it's the obstruction placed in the flow.

haruspex said:
Not sure what you mean by a "type" of open pipe. It's not the type of pipe, it's the obstruction placed in the flow.
why this is not a type of pipe ? for open pipe system, teh flow rate at any 2 points of the pipe , wouldn't be the same , right ?

foo9008 said:
why this is not a type of pipe ? for open pipe system, teh flow rate at any 2 points of the pipe , wouldn't be the same , right ?
As I wrote, I'm not sure what you mean by a type of pipe. The presence of another pipe (the curved one) inserted into it does not, to me, make it a different type of pipe, merely a different arrangement. If I have two dogs of the same type, but one is chained up, I know which one will run faster. If you put obstructions in a flow then clearly the flow will not be the same at all points.

haruspex said:
As I wrote, I'm not sure what you mean by a type of pipe. The presence of another pipe (the curved one) inserted into it does not, to me, make it a different type of pipe, merely a different arrangement. If I have two dogs of the same type, but one is chained up, I know which one will run faster. If you put obstructions in a flow then clearly the flow will not be the same at all points.
sorry , i left out something , the 'pipe' that inserted to the horizontal pipe is piezometer , which is used to measure pressure between 2 points... so , are the flow rate at 2 points same ?

foo9008 said:
sorry , i left out something , the 'pipe' that inserted to the horizontal pipe is piezometer , which is used to measure pressure between 2 points... so , are the flow rate at 2 points same ?
The flow rate at the entrance to the piezometer clearly cannot be typical of the flow in the rest of the pipe. The water will flow into the piezometer only until the backpressure matches the pressure in the flow. At that point, no more water is flowing into it, so the flow right at its entrance must be zero.

haruspex said:
The flow rate at the entrance to the piezometer clearly cannot be typical of the flow in the rest of the pipe. The water will flow into the piezometer only until the backpressure matches the pressure in the flow. At that point, no more water is flowing into it, so the flow right at its entrance must be zero.
do you mean when the water start flowing in , the flow rate at that instance may be equal to the flow rate at the rest of pipe , byt after sometime , water will stop flowing when the backpressure matches the pressure in the flow.so , at that instance , the flow rate reduced to 0 ?

foo9008 said:
do you mean when the water start flowing in , the flow rate at that instance may be equal to the flow rate at the rest of pipe , byt after sometime , water will stop flowing when the backpressure matches the pressure in the flow.so , at that instance , the flow rate reduced to 0 ?
Yes.

1. What is the definition of flow rate in open channel?

Flow rate in open channel refers to the volume of water passing through a channel per unit time. It is typically measured in cubic feet per second (cfs) or cubic meters per second (cms).

2. How is flow rate in open channel calculated?

Flow rate in open channel is calculated using the Manning's equation, which takes into account the characteristics of the channel such as slope, roughness, and cross-sectional area. It is given by the formula Q = (1.49/n) * A * R^(2/3) * S^(1/2), where Q is the flow rate, n is the Manning's roughness coefficient, A is the cross-sectional area, R is the hydraulic radius, and S is the slope of the channel.

3. What factors affect flow rate in open channel?

Flow rate in open channel is affected by the slope of the channel, the roughness of the channel walls, the cross-sectional area of the channel, and the hydraulic radius. Other factors such as changes in elevation, blockages, and changes in channel width can also impact the flow rate.

4. How is flow rate in open channel measured?

Flow rate in open channel is typically measured using a device called a flow meter. There are various types of flow meters available, such as velocity meters, propeller meters, and ultrasonic meters. These devices measure the velocity of the water and use it to calculate the flow rate.

5. Why is flow rate in open channel important?

Flow rate in open channel is an important parameter in many engineering and environmental applications. It helps in designing and managing irrigation systems, flood control systems, and drainage systems. It also plays a crucial role in water resource management and in predicting and mitigating the impacts of natural disasters such as floods.