Rate of flow - thermal physics

In summary: In this case, we need to solve for ##\dot{m}##.In summary, the problem involves finding the rate of flow of air needed to extract 7.0 kW of waste power from an air-cooled engine with a temperature difference of 30.0 K. The specific heat capacity of air at constant pressure is given as 1.01 kJ/(kg.K). To solve this problem, the equation to be used is $\dot{m}\Delta h=\dot{Q}$ where $\dot{m}$ is the mass flow rate, h is the specific enthalpy, and $\dot{Q}$ is the rate of heat transfer to the coolant air.
Kathhhriine
Homework Statement
"The temperature difference between the inlet and the outlet of an air-cooled engine is 30.0 K. The engine generates 7.0 kW of waste power that the air extracts from the engine. Calculate the rate of flow of air (in kg s–1) needed to extract this power. Specifc heat capacity of air (at constant pressure)
= 1.01 × 10^3 J kg–1 K–1 "
Relevant Equations
power/specific heat capacityXtemperautre
Frankly, i don't even know how to start this. I deducted from the solution, that they must have used power/(specific heat capacity x temperautre), however i don't understand how that will give the rate of flow of air. Could anybody help, please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kathhhriine said:
Frankly, i don't even know how to start this.
Isn't good enough: we are not allowed to help if you don't post your own attempt

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-help-guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

Kathhhriine said:
pressure/specific heat capacityXtemperautre
What on Earth is that for an equation ?

Kathhhriine said:
Homework Statement:: "The temperature difference between the inlet and the outlet of an air-cooled engine is 30.0 K. The engine generates 7.0 kW of waste power that the air extracts from the engine. Calculate the rate of flow of air (in kg s–1) needed to extract this power. Specifc heat capacity of air (at constant pressure)
= 1.01 × 103 J kg–1 K–1 "
Try to re-formulate this in your own words, clearly separating the givens from the results asked for

Kathhhriine said:
Specifc heat capacity of air (at constant pressure)
= 1.01 × 103 J kg–1 K–1 "
You mean 1.01 kJ/(kg.K) ?

There is a subscript button under
1606825108486.png
in the edit window toolbar
Kathhhriine said:
I deducted from the solution, that they must have used pressure/(specific heat capacity x temperautre)
unlikely: pressure isn't mentioned in the problem statement.

Kathhhriine said:
how that will give the rate of flow of air
Have you done other exercises before ? Call the flow F (kg/s) and manipulate the relevant equation until you have F = ... :smile:

This is a problem in the application of the open system (control volume) version of the first law of thermodynamics for steady state flow. Are you familiar with this equation. If so, please write it down and also identify the control volume that should be used in this problem.

BvU said:
Isn't good enough: we are not allowed to help if you don't post your own attempt

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-help-guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

What on Earth is that for an equation ?

Try to re-formulate this in your own words, clearly separating the givens from the results asked for

You mean 1.01 kJ/(kg.K) ?

There is a subscript button under View attachment 273489 in the edit window toolbarunlikely: pressure isn't mentioned in the problem statement.

Have you done other exercises before ? Call the flow F (kg/s) and manipulate the relevant equation until you have F = ... :smile:

I meant power, where i wrote pressure, sorry. :oops:

BvU said:
Try to re-formulate this (the problem statement) in your own words, clearly separating the givens from the results asked for
Another tip: look carefully at the units

I guess I'll answer my own question. The correct equation to use is $$\dot{m}\Delta h=\dot{Q}$$where ##\dot{m}## is the mass flow rate, h is the specific enthalpy, and ##\dot{Q}## is the rate of heat transfer to the coolant air.

1. What is the rate of flow in thermal physics?

The rate of flow in thermal physics refers to the amount of heat energy that is transferred per unit time. It is typically measured in units of watts (W) or joules per second (J/s).

2. How is the rate of flow calculated?

The rate of flow is calculated by dividing the amount of heat energy transferred (Q) by the time it takes for the transfer to occur (t). This can be represented by the equation: rate of flow = Q / t.

3. What factors affect the rate of flow?

The rate of flow is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the two objects, the thermal conductivity of the materials involved, and the surface area of contact between the objects.

4. How does the rate of flow relate to temperature difference?

The rate of flow is directly proportional to the temperature difference between the two objects. This means that as the temperature difference increases, the rate of flow also increases.

5. What is the significance of the rate of flow in thermal physics?

The rate of flow is an important concept in thermal physics as it helps us understand how heat energy is transferred between objects. It is also used in practical applications, such as in designing heating and cooling systems, and in understanding the behavior of materials at different temperatures.