Is fluid mechanics (aerodynamics) still being discovered?

Is fluid mechanics, particularly aerodynamics, still being discovered or has everything already been done long time ago?In summary, fluid mechanics and aerodynamics are well understood, but there is ongoing research to find more accurate and efficient ways to model fluid flow. The notorious turbulence problem remains unsolved, and there is debate about the role of mathematical modeling versus experimentation in finding a solution. Overall, there are still many areas of active research in these fields.
Jurgen M
Is fluid mechanics,particularly aerodynamics still being discoverd (like math for example) or everything has already done long time ago?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aerodynamics is well understood.
Finding ways to numerically model fluid flow more accurately or more quickly continues.

Likes vanhees71
Is the notorious turbulence problem considered solved now?

vanhees71 said:
Most of the 'solutions' to it that I've seen invoke chaos theory and talk about pendulums for some reason.

Division of a fluid into dynamic zones of differing behaviors is very difficult mathematically if you want the same set of equations to work everywhere at all times. There is no guarantee such a model even exists that isn't... well, observation of experiment.

IMO the 'turbulence problem' is more a side effect of a belief that all parts of reality can eventually be represented by predictive mathematical formulations - perhaps that is indeed true, but that seems to often be paired with a belief that the mathematical formulation is always going to be easier to deal with than experimental setups. Sometimes the most efficient way to analyze a thing might just be recreating the thing and observing it.

Likes manueljenkin, russ_watters, anorlunda and 1 other person
Navier-stokes equation are not solved, they are basics for flow simulation CFD.

Last edited by a moderator:
InkTide said:
Most of the 'solutions' to it that I've seen invoke chaos theory and talk about pendulums for some reason.

Division of a fluid into dynamic zones of differing behaviors is very difficult mathematically if you want the same set of equations to work everywhere at all times. There is no guarantee such a model even exists that isn't... well, observation of experiment.

IMO the 'turbulence problem' is more a side effect of a belief that all parts of reality can eventually be represented by predictive mathematical formulations - perhaps that is indeed true, but that seems to often be paired with a belief that the mathematical formulation is always going to be easier to deal with than experimental setups. Sometimes the most efficient way to analyze a thing might just be recreating the thing and observing it.
I very strongly disagree with this assessment. The very purpose of mathematically modeling systems is to save the cost (sometimes very expensive) of constructing numerous configurations of equipment to manufacture and improve products or provide other functionality. Although crude CFD models are now available to analyze systems involving turbulence, they are still often somewhat inaccurate, and substantial improvement of. these models would be very desirable. Anyone who has had to design or analyze a real world system involving turbulent flow, where real money is at stake in the outcome, is well aware of the potential value of more accurate CFD models that include turbulence.

Likes S.G. Janssens
Chestermiller said:
I very strongly disagree with this assessment. The very purpose of mathematically modeling systems is to save the cost (sometimes very expensive) of constructing numerous configurations of equipment to manufacture and improve products or provide other functionality. Although crude CFD models are now available to analyze systems involving turbulence, they are still often somewhat inaccurate, and substantial improvement of. these models would be very desirable. Anyone who has had to design or analyze a real world system involving turbulent flow, where real money is at stake in the outcome, is well aware of the potential value of more accurate CFD models that include turbulence.
I don't mean to say that such a model would be useless - quite to the contrary, for all the reasons you stated.

All I'm saying is that there is no guarantee that such a model must exist. That said, I also don't mean to imply that trying to create one is a waste, even if one doesn't exist.

My main worry is that a focus on mathematical modeling might ironically distract from the eventual creation of such a model by de-emphasizing the necessity of observation and experiment. At the end of the day, that's what the models have to match.

InkTide said:
a belief that the mathematical formulation is always going to be easier to deal with than experimental setups. Sometimes the most efficient way to analyze a thing might just be recreating the thing and observing it.
That is excellent. We frequently get posters who think they can calculate in cases where they should experiment. If you could reduce it to a memorable quote short enough to print on a Tee-shirt, we could quote it again and again.

anorlunda said:
That is excellent. We frequently get posters who think they can calculate in cases where they should experiment. If you could reduce it to a memorable quote short enough to print on a Tee-shirt, we could quote it again and again.
Maybe something like, "If the math must model reality, a real model might be easier"? I think that still contains the gist of the idea.

I'm sure someone else can come up with a better formulation (and I'm sure there's some concise theorem in philosophy of science somewhere that expresses the idea).

InkTide said:
I don't mean to say that such a model would be useless - quite to the contrary, for all the reasons you stated.

All I'm saying is that there is no guarantee that such a model must exist. That said, I also don't mean to imply that trying to create one is a waste, even if one doesn't exist.

My main worry is that a focus on mathematical modeling might ironically distract from the eventual creation of such a model by de-emphasizing the necessity of observation and experiment. At the end of the day, that's what the models have to match.
My experience is that it is not an either-or prospect. Experience has shown that, for best results, modeling and experimentation go hand-in-hand in an overall development, and are complementary, rather than competing. It is up to the judgment of the researcher to determine the extent to which each is used in a particular development.

Likes TeethWhitener and boneh3ad
Jurgen M said:
Is fluid mechanics,particularly aerodynamics still being discoverd (like math for example) or everything has already done long time ago?
There are many, many areas of active research in fluid mechanics/aerodynamics. More specific examples would need more specific questions, however.

Here is a link to the proceedings with list of talks and their abstracts at a recent meeting of the American Physical Society (APS) Division of Fluid Dynamics (DFD). That should give you a good idea of the sorts of things being studied. You can find a similar list of talks at the recent meeting of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) here (you'll probably want to use the filters to narrow down categories since there are many).

Baluncore said:
Aerodynamics is well understood.
Finding ways to numerically model fluid flow more accurately or more quickly continues.
This is categorically false. There are many open problems in fluid mechanics. One avenue to solving them is through new numerical models and algorithms, but those models and algorithms themselves are far from the only active areas of research.

vanhees71 said:
No.

Likes manueljenkin, Twigg, vanhees71 and 1 other person
anorlunda said:
Y'mean something like this?

1641862300913.png

(maybe without accidentally chopping off the ##\lambda## on the lhs)

Likes anorlunda
anorlunda said:
I think back to my high school physics class where we were basically given a bunch of formulae that covered various situations with very little context for why they applied. Obviously this was rectified later in my education when taking calculus-based physics and learning first principles, but not everyone has that or escapes the original mindset. I think that's why we get a lot of posters who think they can find a simple formula for anything.

Likes vanhees71
boneh3ad said:
I think that's why we get a lot of posters who think they can find a simple formula for anything.
I agree, but there's another factor. Even if you have a formula, you're still stuck if you don't know the values of the coefficients. Finding the coefficient with a bit of experimentation is the best advice sometimes.

In real life science, we call it model validation & verification using experimental data.

Likes vanhees71
Sure, there are many quantities one can only get from experiment, among them on what's considered the most fundamental level today, all the free parameters of the standard model of elementary particle physics, as well as Newton's gravitational constant.

anorlunda said:
I agree, but there's another factor. Even if you have a formula, you're still stuck if you don't know the values of the coefficients. Finding the coefficient with a bit of experimentation is the best advice sometimes.

In real life science, we call it model validation & verification using experimental data.
I think that's wrapped up in the same issue as before, though. My favorite example is when we get someone asking about calculating drag on an object. They say things like "I found the drag equation, ##D = 0.5 C_D A \rho v^2##, but how do I calculate the drag coefficient?" That's a good example of an equation where students and other curious minds are deceived by its simplicity without realizing the amount of complicated physics baked into ##C_D##. Like you said, that isn't something that can generally be calculated, but must be measured in an experiment.

anorlunda said:
If you could reduce it to a memorable quote

How's this?

Feynman said:
If it disagrees with experiment it's wrong.

Likes sysprog, anorlunda, berkeman and 3 others

1. What is fluid mechanics (aerodynamics)?

Fluid mechanics (aerodynamics) is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) in motion and the forces that act on them. It is an important field in understanding the behavior of objects in air or water, such as airplanes and ships.

2. Is fluid mechanics (aerodynamics) a new field of study?

No, fluid mechanics (aerodynamics) has been studied for centuries, with early contributions from scientists such as Archimedes and Leonardo da Vinci. However, with advancements in technology and research methods, there are still new discoveries being made in this field.

3. What are some recent discoveries in fluid mechanics (aerodynamics)?

Recent discoveries in fluid mechanics (aerodynamics) include the use of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to simulate and analyze air flow around objects, the development of new materials for more efficient and streamlined designs, and the study of turbulence and its effects on fluid flow.

4. Why is the study of fluid mechanics (aerodynamics) important?

The study of fluid mechanics (aerodynamics) is important for various reasons. It helps in understanding the behavior of fluids and their interactions with objects, which is crucial in designing efficient and safe vehicles and structures. It also has applications in industries such as aviation, automotive, and marine, as well as in weather forecasting and environmental studies.

5. Will there be more discoveries in fluid mechanics (aerodynamics) in the future?

Yes, it is likely that there will be more discoveries in fluid mechanics (aerodynamics) in the future. As technology and research methods continue to advance, there will be new insights and developments in this field. Additionally, as we continue to face challenges such as climate change, there will be a need for further research in fluid mechanics to address these issues.