Is Gaining Work Experience in Patent Law Beneficial for an Engineering Career?

In summary, the individual is nearing the end of their chemistry degree in the UK and is considering applying for jobs as a trainee patent attorney. They have a BSc in Chemistry with a year of experience in R&D, but do not have a degree from a highly ranked university. They are considering pursuing a Masters or PhD degree, but are also interested in gaining language proficiency through an internship in Germany. They have contacted an IP law firm for work experience and are seeking advice on the value of this experience and the competitiveness of the patent law field. They are also considering the potential for a career in engineering.
Chemist125
I'm coming to the end of my chemistry degree (in the UK) and I've been looking into applying for jobs as a trainee patent attorney. I'm hoping that someone here can give me some valuable advice. Am I a suitable candidate? What's the competition like?

- My degree is a BSc in Chemistry, this has included a year working for a German chemical company in R&D (lab work, which I have really come to hate).

The options availabe to me now are:

1) Get a Masters degree ( 1 year, costs me at least £7k/year including living expenses).
2) Get a PhD (3 years, paid ~ £15k/year) for which I don't need a Masters degree, BSc+experience is fine.
3) Start applying for trainee patent attorney jobs - these are very scarce, and I imagine that competition is extremely high.

Although I will have a 1st Class degree, it's not from a particularly good university. I speak some German, and I have the opportunity this summer to go to Germany for 3-4 months (an internship, £600/month) and become fully fluent. Am I right in saying that German/French language skills are a bonus?

I have almost no money, and I don't particularly want to put myself into more debt just to study for a Masters degree.

Any advice welcomed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I'm an undergrad electrical and mechanical engineer going into third year.

I recently contacted a local I.P. law firm about doing some work experience with them. They said that although they hadn't ever taken on students at that office before they would be interested in talking to me about it and that I should send my CV as a first step.

I'm hoping to get a bit of advice from anyone in IP law or who knows the field about how useful experience in this area would be at this point in my education, and how valuable t will be for when I apply for jobs, not just in patent law offices but in engineering more generally, further down the line.

It seems like intellectual property is a good career move if I can get in but from what I've heard its competitive, and here in the UK anyway is dominated by ex-oxbridge types.

Any thoughts?

1. What is patent law?

Patent law is a branch of intellectual property law that deals with protecting inventions and discoveries. It grants inventors the exclusive right to make, use, and sell their inventions for a certain period of time.

2. What is the role of a patent lawyer?

A patent lawyer is a legal professional who specializes in intellectual property law and assists with obtaining patents for inventions. They help clients navigate the complex application process and ensure their invention is protected.

3. What are the qualifications for a career in patent law?

To become a patent lawyer, you typically need a degree in a scientific or technical field such as engineering, chemistry, or biology. You also need to pass the patent bar exam and obtain a license from the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

4. What is the importance of work experience in patent law?

Work experience in patent law is crucial for gaining practical knowledge and skills in the field. It allows individuals to understand the complexities of patent law and how to effectively protect inventions for clients.

5. What types of work experience are beneficial for a career in patent law?

Prior experience in a scientific or technical field, such as working in a research laboratory or in a technology company, can be beneficial for a career in patent law. Additionally, internships or clerkships at law firms specializing in intellectual property can provide valuable experience in the legal aspects of patent law.