Is Georgia Tech Worth the Added Debt for an Aerospace Engineering Degree?

• Thread starter Dedouls
  • Start date
In summary, as a South Carolina resident, you have been accepted to both Clemson and Georgia Tech as a transfer student. Clemson does not have an undergraduate aerospace program while Georgia Tech's program is highly ranked internationally. The cost of attending Clemson is significantly lower at ~5-10,000 a year compared to ~30-40,000 a year at Georgia Tech. You plan to attend graduate school and are questioning if the added debt from attending Georgia Tech is worth it for the name and career-specific degree. The suggestion is to attend Clemson as an in-state student and save money, especially since the city is built around the school. It is also possible to pursue a degree in mechanical engineering as an undergraduate and then move into aerospace engineering for graduate school
Dedouls
I am a SC resident looking to get into aerospace engineering. I have been accepted to both Clemson and Georgia tech as a transfer student but which school should I attend considering the following:
-Clemson does not have an undergrad aerospace program while GT's is rated in the top 5 internationally
-Clemson will cost me ~5-10,000 a year where GT will be ~30-40,000 a year
-I plan to attend grad-school
My big question is the added debt that I will accrue at GT worth it
will the GT name and the career specific degree outweigh the cost

Physics news on Phys.org
I say go to Clemson and save a lot of money just because you are an in-state student. Plus I love how the whole city is built around the school.

How do you plan to get into aerospace engineering if your school doesn't have a program in it?

My understanding is that a large number of aerospace engs. do mechanical eng. as their undergrad and move from there, though I might be wrong.

OK, let's go one more level, then. Why do you think a graduate school in aerospace engineering will accept you over a candidate with a degree in aerospace engineering?

1. What is the difference between GAtech and Clemson?

GAtech (Georgia Institute of Technology) and Clemson University are both well-respected institutions, but there are some key differences. GAtech is known for its strong programs in engineering and technology, while Clemson offers a wider range of majors including business, agriculture, and the arts. GAtech is located in the city of Atlanta, while Clemson is in a more rural area. Additionally, GAtech is a public university while Clemson is a private university.

2. Which school has a better reputation?

Both GAtech and Clemson have strong reputations, so it ultimately depends on your field of study and personal preferences. GAtech is consistently ranked as one of the top engineering schools in the country, while Clemson is known for its strong focus on hands-on learning and community engagement.

3. What is the student life like at GAtech and Clemson?

The student life at GAtech and Clemson can vary greatly. GAtech is located in a bustling city, so there are plenty of opportunities for internships, networking, and entertainment. Clemson, on the other hand, has a more traditional campus feel and a strong sense of community. Both schools have a variety of clubs, organizations, and events for students to get involved in.

4. How do the tuition costs compare between GAtech and Clemson?

Tuition costs can vary depending on factors such as residency status and field of study, but in general, GAtech tends to have slightly higher tuition costs than Clemson. However, both schools offer financial aid and scholarship opportunities to help offset these costs.

5. Which school has a better sports program?

Both GAtech and Clemson have successful sports programs, so it ultimately depends on your personal preferences. GAtech is known for its strong football program, while Clemson has a successful football team as well as strong programs in basketball and other sports. Both schools have a strong sense of school spirit and offer a variety of sporting events for students to attend.