Is Google's Ad Blocker the Solution to Improving Internet Experience?

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary, Google has announced plans to improve the internet experience by implementing a new ad blocker that will target ads that do not meet certain standards. This move has been met with both praise and criticism, with some questioning whether Google will favor its own ads and gain more control over the ad market. However, Google has stated that the standards were created in conjunction with independent organizations and are easy to comply with. Time will tell how this new ad blocker will affect the internet and its users.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
Google will try to improve net experience by blocking some types of lesser preferred ads.
The ad types are:
https://www.betterads.org/standards/

For North America. The problem with this approach (my opinion) is that a lot of ads on sites that originate in Asia are horrible offenders - India Business Times is an example. Google news actively refers to these sites for new articles. Hmm.

Maybe @Greg Bernhardt has some more definite views on this.

Computer science news on Phys.org
There is always a dark side to these blockers like will Google favor ads from its more profitable sponsors or partners? or just basic censorship of certain types of adverts?

Likes QuantumQuest
I see this as an existential reaction from Google. The majority of their bottom line is still tied up in their ads. Many publishers have taken to unsavory practices and eroded the public's tolerance for ads. Google actually has very good quality control however by association they are lumped in with the more predatory publishers. This is a way to force those publishers to clean up so people don't have the knee jerk reaction of installing blockers.

Likes jim mcnamara and jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
There is always a dark side to these blockers like will Google favor ads from its more profitable sponsors or partners?
Something that may not be obvious is that Google's ad blocker is not a full blocker. Only blocks ads they find that don't meet reasonable standards they have made up. Of course that doesn't include Google's ads, but to their credit they have very good standards already.

I also read about it today in cnn.gr and while this is a good thing in general - given that there is already a lot of ads that behave in an offensive manner, on the other hand I see it as a move that will favor google ads and at the same time will create some "google standard" about ads, that will clearly broaden google market given Chrome market share.

Blocking some ads instead of having an adware blocker (which blocks almost all) is a good thing for the companies / individuals being advertised but not necessarily for users - I don't preclude it, it may be and it will ultimately be judged by various percentages. On the other hand, I think that the main motivation behind it is total control of ads. I'll agree to @Greg Bernhardt that Google already has a good quality control but I can see no way of being objective - as any form of template or set of rules having to deal with so many different things anyway, Google is not to blame for this. Ultimately time will tell and I hope in some positive way.

QuantumQuest said:
On the other hand, I think that the main motivation behind it is total control of ads.
From what I've read the standards have been set in conjunction with a consortium of independent organizations and from what I've seen of the standards they are very easy and reasonable to comply with. Obviously Google has many different objectives, but I don't see any problems with this. Full disclosure I own Google stock :biggrin:

Likes QuantumQuest

1. What is a Google ad blocker?

A Google ad blocker is a software tool that blocks advertisements from appearing on the Google search engine or other Google products, such as YouTube and Gmail. It is designed to provide a cleaner and more streamlined user experience by removing ads from the page.

2. Why is Google implementing an ad blocker?

Google is implementing an ad blocker to improve the user experience and address concerns about intrusive or annoying ads. By providing its own ad blocker, Google can control which ads are blocked and ensure that only the most intrusive ads are filtered out.

3. Will the ad blocker block all ads on Google?

No, the ad blocker will not block all ads on Google. It will only block ads that are deemed to be intrusive, such as pop-up ads, autoplay videos, and ads with large flashing images. Google will still display non-intrusive ads that meet its criteria for acceptable advertising.

4. How will the ad blocker affect advertisers?

The ad blocker may affect advertisers who use intrusive ad formats by reducing the visibility of their ads. However, it is also likely to improve the performance of non-intrusive ads by reducing competition from more intrusive ads. Advertisers should focus on creating non-intrusive, high-quality ads to ensure their ads are not blocked.

5. Can the ad blocker be disabled?

Yes, the ad blocker can be disabled by users who prefer to see all ads on Google. However, it is not recommended to disable the ad blocker as it may result in a less enjoyable user experience with more intrusive and potentially harmful ads.