Is Information Really Preserved in Quantum Systems?

• I
  • Thread starter LightningInAJar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Information
In summary, the idea that information can't be lost or destroyed is supported by some recent models of quantum systems.
LightningInAJar
TL;DR Summary
What physics states that information isn't lost or destroyed?
I don't know what category this fits in but how conclusive is it that information can't be lost or destroyed? Is this mostly just Stephen Hawking talking or do others support this idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually on questions like this, things are much clearer for everyone if you cite a specific article about your question(s). Take this a friendly notification. Right?

Likes vanhees71, Doc Al and berkeman
That article is too complex for me. I mean with perfect math we can calculate all that came before the current moment. Even if matter fell into a black hole at some point.

If I send a radio message from Earth, it will spread out in space and after a certain time will become weaker than the background noise. Then it is lost.

LightningInAJar said:
That article is too complex for me.
OK, then try this simplified version.

There are many definitions of the word information.

When physicists say that information is conserved (can't be destroyed), they mean the boring definitions that you don't understand.

All of the common definitions of information that you do understand are things that are not conserved.

Likes jim mcnamara
LightningInAJar said:
Summary:: What physics states that information isn't lost or destroyed?

I don't know what category this fits in but how conclusive is it that information can't be lost or destroyed? Is this mostly just Stephen Hawking talking or do others support this idea?

The idea has slowly crawled into physics, starting maybe from this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_demon

-----

If a demon has a container of warm gas, a winch and a black hole, the demon may lower the container into the black hole and get the energy contained in the motion of the gas molecules. And that is some kind of a problem for thermodynamics and information theory.

tech99 said:
If I send a radio message from Earth, it will spread out in space and after a certain time will become weaker than the background noise. Then it is lost.
Isn't the background noise also information? And with God sized means couldn't even that we filtered out?

Most theoretical models of quantum systems assume that the wave function evolves according to a unitary operator, and this approach is supported at a fundamental level by essentially all experimental observations where unitarity is relevant (i.e. it generally isn't supported or refuted by experiments that involve open quantum systems, or where the detailed behavior of all outgoing products of the system of interest isn't important, e.g. when verifying Planck's law of black body radiation.) Moreover, all experimental studies of open quantum systems (or experiments that address questions where it isn't necessary to measure a complete set of observables) are consistent with the non-unitary dynamics of a reduced (incomplete) system induced by unitary dynamics of a ('complete') wave function.

What is preservation of information?

Preservation of information refers to the process of protecting and maintaining information in a way that ensures its accessibility, accuracy, and authenticity over time. This includes physical preservation of documents and digital preservation of electronic data.

Why is preservation of information important?

Preservation of information is important because it allows for the retention and accessibility of important historical, cultural, and scientific knowledge. It also ensures the integrity and reliability of information for future use.

What are some methods of preserving information?

Some methods of preserving information include digitization, which involves converting physical documents into electronic format, and creating backups and duplicates of digital data. Other methods include using specialized storage materials and implementing proper storage and handling techniques.

What challenges are associated with preservation of information?

One of the main challenges of preservation of information is technological obsolescence, where data or documents become inaccessible due to changes in technology. Other challenges include limited resources for preservation, copyright and ownership issues, and ensuring the long-term sustainability of preservation efforts.

How can individuals contribute to the preservation of information?

Individuals can contribute to the preservation of information by properly storing and handling documents and data, supporting organizations and institutions that specialize in preservation efforts, and advocating for the importance of preserving information for future generations.