Is it harder for Canadian undergrads to get into US grad schools?

In summary, the conversation discusses an application profile of a Canadian student with a 4.30 GPA, high test scores, and research experience, who was rejected from several top US schools but accepted to the University of Toronto. Some speculate that there may be a bias against Canadian applicants, while others suggest that the student's letters of recommendation may have played a role in the rejections. It is also mentioned that McGill University in Canada may have a different grading scale with A+ grades, and that letters of recommendation are important in the application process.
Sean1218
I was looking over some application profiles, and one caught my eye.

He was a Canadian from a decent Canadian university. 4.30/4.30 gpa (1st in his graduating class), GRE: 800 Q, 710 V, 5.0 W, and 980 physics. He also had four summers of research (two with a very well respected professor (fairly big name), 1 4th author pub accepted, 1 1st author pub that hasn't been accepted yet). A few physics awards and scholarships as well, but no other jobs or extra-curriculars.

He was rejected at all his US schools (included Harvard, Princeton, MIT, Cornell, Columbia, U of Chicago, Caltech, Stanford, Berkeley, UCSB), and an acceptance to University of Toronto.

I was really surprised by this. His GPA and test scores were almost perfect, and the research seemed fairly solid.

Do Canadians just have the odds against them to begin with? or is this application not as good as I thought it was?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sean1218 said:
I was looking over some application profiles, and one caught my eye.

He was a Canadian from a decent Canadian university. 4.30/4.30 gpa (1st in his graduating class), GRE: 800 Q, 710 V, 5.0 W, and 980 physics. He also had four summers of research (two with a very well respected professor (fairly big name), 1 4th author pub accepted, 1 1st author pub that hasn't been accepted yet). A few physics awards and scholarships as well, but no other jobs or extra-curriculars.

He was rejected at all his US schools (included Harvard, Princeton, MIT, Cornell, Columbia, U of Chicago, Caltech, Stanford, Berkeley, UCSB), and an acceptance to University of Toronto.

I was really surprised by this. His GPA and test scores were almost perfect, and the research seemed fairly solid.

Do Canadians just have the odds against them to begin with? or is this application not as good as I thought it was?

Thanks for the help.

In my senior year in Physics, my Physics teacher (he came from the States, i think he was Californian) told me one of his students got into Berkeley. Then Berkeley asked him if he was planning to stay in the U.S., so the student thought "hey that isn't a bad idea", he was dead wrong. He immediately got refused because my Physics teacher told me that they [U.S.] do not want foreigners to get into their country that easily.

Now that story is for undergraduate and I do not know if it is factual. For Graduate school, I don't think they will care where are you from and especially the prestige of your undergrad. Maybe it was because a lack of letters of recommendation? I am not sure. I am still an undergrad (partly...). I am a Canadian myself and I like to know.

Well I know a few Canadians (from McGill) with less or equal qualification than the one mentioned in the OP who got into Harvard, so it's not impossible.

nicksauce said:
Well I know a few Canadians (from McGill) with less or equal qualification than the one mentioned in the OP who got into Harvard, so it's not impossible.

McGill is like the MIT of Canada...

You have no idea what the letters of recommendation said. 4.3 on a 5 point scale is 3.3 on a 4 point scale, which is not strong - irrespective of how well his peers did. I think it's premature to jump to any conclusions about an anti-Canadian conspiracy.

True, he didn't mention the letters of recommendation, but he made it sound like he had good relationships with his PIs. Also, I meant 4.3 on a 4.3 scale (straight As), not 5 point.

I have never heard of a 4.3 scale. But letters are critical in the process.

Yea, I guess it's just the letters. And there are a few Canadian universities on the 4.3 scale (with A+), mainly in BC I think -- maybe it's a Canadian only thing, no idea :)

gretun said:
McGill is like the MIT of Canada...

It's not exactly hard to get into though.

Related to Is it harder for Canadian undergrads to get into US grad schools?

1. What is the process for Canadian undergrad students to apply for US graduate programs?

The process for Canadian undergrad students to apply for US graduate programs is similar to that of US students. You will need to research and select the graduate programs you are interested in, complete the necessary application materials (such as transcripts and letters of recommendation), and take any required standardized tests (such as the GRE). You will also need to obtain a student visa to study in the US.

2. Are there any specific requirements for Canadian undergrad students applying to US graduate programs?

The requirements for Canadian undergrad students applying to US graduate programs may vary depending on the specific program and university. However, most programs will require a minimum GPA, standardized test scores, and letters of recommendation. Some programs may also have specific course prerequisites or additional materials, such as a personal statement or writing sample.

3. Is there financial aid available for Canadian undergrad students attending US graduate programs?

Yes, there is financial aid available for Canadian undergrad students attending US graduate programs. Many universities offer scholarships, grants, and assistantships for international students. You can also research external funding opportunities, such as government scholarships or private foundations.

4. How does the cost of attending US graduate programs compare to Canadian universities?

The cost of attending US graduate programs can vary greatly depending on the university and program. In general, tuition for US graduate programs may be higher than in Canada, but there are also more opportunities for financial aid and scholarships. It is important to research and compare the costs of different programs to find the best fit for your budget.

5. Are there any cultural or academic differences between Canadian undergrad and US graduate programs?

While there may be some cultural and academic differences between Canadian undergrad and US graduate programs, they are generally similar in terms of academic rigor and expectations. However, some US universities may have a more competitive or individualistic academic culture compared to Canadian universities. It is important to research and understand the specific culture and expectations of the program you are interested in.