Is it impossible to prove that some functions are periodic?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of proving periodic intersections between two functions, G(s) and F(s), defined as the moving average of all previous values of f(s) and the summation term from 1 to infinity, respectively. The functions intersect at some points, but it is unclear if they intersect periodically. There is also ambiguity in the definition and range of the moving average, which may affect the results. It is mentioned that the problem may be unanswerable due to the complexity of the functions involved.
mustang19
Heres an example.
AyDL3ws.jpg

Let G(s) be the moving average of all previous values of f(s).

G(s) and F(s) intersect at multiple points. Is it possible to prove that the intersections happen periodically?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Could you explain what the 1 over infinity is supposed to be?

Likes mustang19
That's the summation term from 1 to infinity. The software garbled it.

Like this?$$F(s) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{s i +2}}$$
What do you mean by "moving average over all previous values", and does f(s) mean F(s)?
Do you have a proof that they intersect at all? With complex numbers this is not trivial.

Likes mustang19
mfb said:
Like this?$$F(s) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{s i +2}}$$
What do you mean by "moving average over all previous values", and does f(s) mean F(s)?
Do you have a proof that they intersect at all? With complex numbers this is not trivial.

I just graphed the functions. If you don't know what a moving average is then look it up.

As I suspected this problem seems very difficult or impossible to solve.

mustang19 said:
If you don't know what a moving average is then look it up.
I know what a moving average is, but the definition is not unique (average over which range?), and your description doesn't make sense.

Did you plot both the real and imaginary part?

Currently the problem is not even well-defined.

Likes mustang19
mfb said:
I know what a moving average is, but the definition is not unique (average over which range?), and your description doesn't make sense.

Did you plot both the real and imaginary part?

Currently the problem is not even well-defined.

I plotted both the real and imaginary parts.

The range is over the entire function, or if your software does not support that, then try from the origin to S.

mustang19 said:
The range is over the entire function
That doesn't make sense either.
How did you define G(s), can you show the formula?
mustang19 said:
I plotted both the real and imaginary parts.
And they had intersections at the same point?

Likes mustang19
mfb said:
That doesn't make sense either.
How did you define G(s), can you show the formula?And they had intersections at the same point?

I don't have the formula handy. You just average all the previous points.

They intersected at different points. I want to know if either or both of the graphs are periodic.

Im not too concerned about the specifics. If you can answer anything related to this question then that would be interesting. I am just asking if its always possible to prove whether a function is periodic.

mustang19 said:
You just average all the previous points.
That would work as description if there would be a finite set of those points, but you don't have that. Average from 0 to s? Is your function defined for negative s? Make some limit procedure to "average" from -infinity to s? Something else?
mustang19 said:
They intersected at different points.
Which means the functions do not intersect. Only their real and imaginary parts.
mustang19 said:
I am just asking if its always possible to prove whether a function is periodic.
A clear no. You can construct functions that are periodic if and only if some turing machine halts, and there is no algorithm that can determine this for all turing machines (halting problem). Those function definitions will look weird, however (like "f(x)=sin(x) if this turing machine halts, f(x)=x if it does not").

Likes mustang19
mfb said:
That would work as description if there would be a finite set of those points, but you don't have that. Average from 0 to s?

Yes

Is your function defined for negative s?
Yes

Which means the functions do not intersect. Only their real and imaginary parts.A clear no. You can construct functions that are periodic if and only if some turing machine halts, and there is no algorithm that can determine this for all turing machines (halting problem). Those function definitions will look weird, however (like "f(x)=sin(x) if this turing machine halts, f(x)=x if it does not").

Is that a proof? Are you sure they never intersect?

You seem to be claiming I claimed they always intersect at different points. No, I said they intersected at some points and the parts intersected at others.

Anyway you basically answered my questions to a good enough level with your last paragraph.

Last edited:
mustang19 said:
Are you sure they never intersect?
No, but you claimed they would intersect, and I don't see evidence for that so far.
mustang19 said:
G(s) and F(s) intersect at multiple points.
An intersection of two functions requires that the function values are identical - for complex numbers, this means both real and imaginary part have to be identical.

mfb said:
No, but you claimed they would intersect, and I don't see evidence for that so far.An intersection of two functions requires that the function values are identical - for complex numbers, this means both real and imaginary part have to be identical.

I really don't see how that helps. If you have any more questions about the function let me know, but it seems pretty well defined for me. Cant you just use the moving average feature in matlab? I really don't see where the ambiguity was, I am able to graph the function fine.

It is well-defined now, after 10 posts with multiple rounds of questions how it is defined.
mustang19 said:
I really don't see where the ambiguity was, I am able to graph the function fine.
The range of definition and the range you average over.

In addition, the first post had the (probably wrong, but certainly not backed by evidence) claim that the functions intersect.

Likes mustang19
So basically, the example problem is well defined and unanswerable.

mustang19 said:
So basically, the example problem is well defined and unanswerable.
Nothing in this thread has indicated that the example problem (as clarified in #11) is unanswerable. Only that it is unanswered and that it might be unanswerable.

Likes mustang19
jbriggs444 said:
Nothing in this thread has indicated that the example problem (as clarified in #11) is unanswerable. Only that it is unanswered and that it might be unanswerable.

So its unanswerable, as far as anyone knows.

mustang19 said:
So its unanswerable, as far as anyone knows.
And it's answerable, as far as anyone knows. Might be answerable, might not be. We do not know. Trying to spin it one way or the other does not change that.

Last edited:
mustang19 said:
If you don't know what a moving average is then look it up.
Please dial back the attitude.
People give help here out of the kindness of their hearts -- none of us gets paid for this. Also, I guarantee that @mfb knows what a moving average is, but that's not what he asked:
mfb said:
What do you mean by "moving average over all previous values"?
Your question was unclear from the start, and it took 11 posts to figure out what you were asking. It's not the responsibility of responders to go "look it up" -- it's your responsibility to ask a question that makes sense, and with as much information as you can provide.

Likes mfb

1. What does it mean for a function to be periodic?

A periodic function is a mathematical function that repeats its values at regular intervals. This means that the function's output repeats itself after a certain interval of input values. For example, a sine wave is a periodic function because its values repeat every 360 degrees.

2. How can we prove that a function is periodic?

In most cases, we can prove that a function is periodic by showing that it satisfies a specific mathematical formula. For example, a function f(x) is periodic with period p if f(x+p) = f(x) for all values of x. This means that if we shift the input by the period p, the output values will remain the same.

3. Is it possible to prove that all functions are periodic?

No, it is not possible to prove that all functions are periodic. There are many non-periodic functions, such as exponential functions and logarithmic functions, that do not repeat their values at regular intervals. Furthermore, proving that a function is not periodic can be just as difficult as proving that it is periodic.

4. Can a function be both periodic and non-periodic?

No, a function cannot be both periodic and non-periodic. A function is either periodic or non-periodic, but not both. If a function satisfies the definition of a periodic function, then it is considered periodic. However, if a function does not satisfy the definition, then it is considered non-periodic.

5. Why is it impossible to prove that some functions are periodic?

It is impossible to prove that some functions are periodic because there are infinitely many functions and it is not possible to analyze and prove the periodicity of all of them. Additionally, some functions may have a repeating pattern that is not easily recognized or described mathematically, making it difficult to prove their periodicity.