Is it more energy efficient to evaporate water or boil it?

In summary, the equations show that it takes less energy to evaporate water compared to boiling it and then turning it into gas. However, the book suggests that it takes more energy to evaporate water immediately, even at lower temperatures.
Drizzy

Homework Statement

If I have a pot of water that I want to bowl so that there won't be any water left then the energy that I have to add is:

E=c*m*delta T
E=l(vaporization) * m

But if I have wet clothes and want the water to evaporate then the energy needed is:

E=l(vaporization)m

So from the equations it would take ess energy to evaporate water than to boil it and then make it into a gas. But my book is saying that it takes more energy to evaporate water right away

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
"L," latent heat, is larger for the lower temperature.

Word-for-word, what exactly does your book say?

Chet

the book is in another language so I have to translate it.

"The clothes will dry even if it is near 0 degrees celsius, it just requires a little more energy.

Drizzy said:
the book is in another language so I have to translate it.

"The clothes will dry even if it is near 0 degrees celsius, it just requires a little more energy.
See Bystander's answer in post #2.

1. What is enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property of a system that represents the total energy of the system, including its internal energy and any external work that has been done.

2. How is enthalpy related to water?

In the context of water, enthalpy is a measure of the heat energy that is released or absorbed during a chemical reaction or physical change, such as vaporization or condensation.

3. What is the enthalpy of vaporization?

The enthalpy of vaporization is the amount of energy required to transform a liquid into a gas at a constant pressure and temperature.

4. Why is the enthalpy of vaporization important?

The enthalpy of vaporization is important because it is a key factor in determining the boiling point of a substance. It can also be used to calculate the amount of energy required to convert a given amount of liquid into vapor.

5. How does the enthalpy of vaporization affect the water cycle?

The enthalpy of vaporization plays a crucial role in the water cycle. As liquid water is heated and reaches its boiling point, it absorbs energy and undergoes a phase change into water vapor. This vapor then rises into the atmosphere, cools and condenses into clouds, and eventually falls back to Earth as precipitation, completing the water cycle.