Is it more prudent to get a a second Bachelors or a Masters?

In summary, the speaker is a senior studying Biochemistry but has been doing research in environmental remediation and wants to specialize in this field. However, their school does not offer any environmental chemistry or engineering courses. They are considering getting a Masters in Environmental engineering but are concerned about not having a Bachelors in Engineering and whether they will be able to get licensed in some states. They have looked into local Bachelor's programs and think they could finish in 2.5-3 years, which may be the same amount of time needed for the Masters. They are advised to check with their Professional Engineering Organization and the acceptance requirements for the Masters program they are interested in.
T-Marked
Hi Y'all,

Hope all is well for the holidays.

I am a senior and headed toward a BS in Biochemistry. But I have been doing research with a guy who does environmental remediation for 2 years. I think that that is where my heart lies. I want to develop more specialization especially because my school does not offer any environmental chemistry or engineering.

I would want to get the Masters in Environmental engineering but I heard in some states you cannot be licensed if you do not have a Bachelors in Engineering. Is that a real hinderance?

I looked at some local Bachelors of Environmental Engineering in my area and I think that I could finish in 2.5 or 3 years tops, which might be how long I would need for the Master's anyway since I don't have all the pre-reqs. Is this worthwhile?

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
T-Marked said:
I would want to get the Masters in Environmental engineering but I heard in some states you cannot be licensed if you do not have a Bachelors in Engineering. Is that a real hinderance?

You might want to check with your Professional Engineering Organization's requirements to become licensed.

Depending on the school your applying for, the MASc. program may only require you obtain a BASc. degree (not necessarily in Environmental engineering). It is best to check program acceptance requirement for your school.

1. Is a second Bachelor's degree or a Master's degree more valuable for my career?

Both a second Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree can be valuable for your career, but it ultimately depends on your specific career goals and industry. A Master's degree is typically seen as more advanced and specialized, while a second Bachelor's degree may provide a broader foundation in a different field. Consider researching job postings in your desired field to see which level of education is more commonly required or preferred.

2. Will a second Bachelor's degree or a Master's degree take longer to complete?

Typically, a Master's degree takes longer to complete than a second Bachelor's degree. A second Bachelor's degree can take around 2-3 years to complete, while a Master's degree can take 1-2 years. However, this can vary depending on the specific program and your course load. It's important to research the specific requirements and timelines for each degree.

3. Which degree is more expensive - a second Bachelor's or a Master's?

The cost of a second Bachelor's degree or a Master's degree can vary depending on the institution and program. Generally, a Master's degree is more expensive than a second Bachelor's degree, as it is a more advanced and specialized degree. However, there are also many scholarship and financial aid opportunities available for both degrees, so it's important to research and compare the costs for each program.

4. Can I apply my credits from my first Bachelor's degree towards a second Bachelor's or a Master's?

If you are pursuing a second Bachelor's degree in a different field, it is unlikely that your credits will transfer over. However, some institutions may allow a limited number of transfer credits. On the other hand, if you are pursuing a Master's degree in a related field, it is more likely that some or all of your credits from your first Bachelor's degree will transfer over. It's important to check with the specific institution and program for their transfer credit policies.

5. Will a second Bachelor's degree or a Master's degree make me more competitive in the job market?

Both a second Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree can make you more competitive in the job market, but it depends on the industry and job market demand. A Master's degree is generally seen as more advanced and specialized, which can make you stand out among other candidates. However, a second Bachelor's degree in a different field can also showcase a diverse skill set and make you a well-rounded candidate. It's important to research the job market in your desired field to see which degree may be more advantageous.