Is it normal for a student to get frustrated learning a coding language?

In summary: I'm not sure what you mean by "PITA!! I literally can not code due to this disorder hahahaha... ". It sounds like you're dyslexic, and that dyslexia can make it difficult to learn to code. It's not always a problem, but it can be challenging.
Eclair_de_XII
... after many failed attempts at figuring it out? Is it normal for him to soon after declare himself done trying to figure out the solution and the language, only to return to it after only a short period of distancing himself from it by a short walk or some number of hours goofing off? Is it normal for a student to do this with any challenge that will inevitably come his way during his academic career?

Physics news on Phys.org
What coding language are you trying to learn? Is this for a paid university course (or maybe High School), or general interest?

I find a break from whatever has your attention good. It gives time to refresh. Rather than concentrate on the task and not achieve much, whereas giving my mind a break and coming back can make things seem clearer.

Likes rbelli1
Perhaps you are finding that some things take time for your brain to organize them into something coherent.

In my professional career I would often get up from my desk and walk around the office just to take a break from the deep concentration often required to solve a problem. Sometimes a few minutes were adequate, sometimes I would do something else for a day or two.

For me, finding a solution was the reward. Though I realize that not everyone thinks that way, it does seem more present in the creative technical fields.

Hang In There!
Tom

StevieTNZ said:
What coding language are you trying to learn? Is this for a paid university course (or maybe High School), or general interest?
I'm trying to learn Python for a university course. That being said, I've done what I've described in my opening post many times when I was still going to college.

Hi, @Eclair_de_XII, as I see, it is a very difficult programming language. Courage, and don't be afraid to look for others help.

If we say "no. this is not normal" what is your next step?
If we say "yes. this is normal" what is your next step?

Likes PhDeezNutz, Rive, Tom.G and 1 other person
Eclair_de_XII said:
Is it normal for a student to do this with any challenge that will inevitably come his way during his academic career?
I think the academic career is, where it's most accepted as simply eccentric or absentminded character o0)

Of course, you need to be able to walk the walk first.

Well, it was kind of a post and run thread. A lack of follow-through is definitely a theme, and it's definitely a problem.

Last edited:
Eclair_de_XII said:
... after many failed attempts at figuring it out? Is it normal for him to soon after declare himself done trying to figure out the solution and the language, only to return to it after only a short period of distancing himself from it by a short walk or some number of hours goofing off? Is it normal for a student to do this with any challenge that will inevitably come his way during his academic career?
Yes!

Learning, especially programming, requires a phase of internalizing the lessons. The next time you come back to it, it will feel less alien.

in a nutshell YES. especial when you get syntax after syntax error. quite common as a beginner. im speaking from experience here lol

Likes Tom.G
Learning to code can be a bit of a bugger, you might say.

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz and DennisN
brianhurren said:
in a nutshell YES. especial when you get syntax after syntax error. quite common as a beginner. im speaking from experience here lol
If your spelling and punctuation are generally sloppy, then I'm not surprised you struggled with programming!

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and vela
try to learn to code when your dyslexic.... PITA!!!!!! I literally can not code due to this disorder hahahaha

Eclair_de_XII said:
It seems to me that there is often frustration involved with learning anything, even stuff that seems easy once learned.

Likes mcastillo356
I cannot tell you how happy I was to get to the career point where hiring people to actually code my algorithms and calculations made economic sense. I love to design but coding is an immense chore because I am not a "detail" orientated thinker. The ideal coder will check my calculation/design for sign errors produce numbers and graphs. It is like a gift from the Almighty.

Sounds like you want to be a Manager! :wink:

I wish to be an idea person who is viscerally constrained by the engineering requirements. I do not think that describes most Management.

1. Is it normal to feel frustrated while learning a coding language?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel frustrated while learning a coding language. Learning a new skill can be challenging and frustrating at times, especially when it involves complex concepts and syntax.

2. How can I overcome frustration while learning a coding language?

One way to overcome frustration while learning a coding language is to break down the material into smaller, more manageable chunks. This can help make the learning process less overwhelming. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also provide support and guidance.

3. Why do I keep making mistakes while learning a coding language?

Making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process, especially when it comes to coding. Coding requires attention to detail and even small errors can cause issues in the code. Instead of getting discouraged by mistakes, use them as learning opportunities to improve your skills.

4. How long does it take to become proficient in a coding language?

The amount of time it takes to become proficient in a coding language can vary depending on the individual's learning style, dedication, and prior experience. It is important to remember that learning a coding language is an ongoing process and proficiency comes with practice and experience.

5. Is it normal to feel overwhelmed while learning a coding language?

Yes, it is normal to feel overwhelmed while learning a coding language. There is a lot of information to absorb and it can be overwhelming at times. It is important to take breaks and not put too much pressure on yourself. With time and practice, the concepts will become more familiar and less overwhelming.