Is it Normal to Take Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus Together in High School?

In summary, it is not uncommon for students to take both trigonometry and pre-calculus classes at the same time, with two different teachers. However, it is recommended to speak with the teachers directly to ensure that this sequence makes sense. Some schools may have a different approach, such as teaching trigonometry in one semester and pre-calculus in the other, or integrating trigonometry into the pre-calculus class. Ultimately, it is important to ensure that your son has all the necessary information for both classes.
virgosminx92
My son is a sophomore this year and his counselor put him in a Trig. class this year and a pre-calc class. Is this normal to take both classes at the same time? and with 2 different teachers who teach differently? Help. thanks. He has already taken Alg. I and II and Geom.

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually trig is taken before pre-calc. I'd recommend talking directly to the two math teachers about whether this makes sense. They may not be aware of the other classes your son is taking to notice a potential problem. Or, they may be able to assure you that the sequence at that school doesn't matter as much as in others because of the content of their classes.

In my high school, trigonometry is a 1 semester course, while the trig "review" done in precalculus in usually during the 2nd semester. The 1st semester topics on precalculus doesn't really require trigonometry. So other students take it concurrently, trigonometry for the 1st semester, and precalculus for the full year.

There is also another option where students take trigonometry 1st sem, and they take a class called Math Analysis (pre calc minus the trig) during the 2nd semester, both semester-long classes.

A lot of schools don't even teach a trigonometry class it's simply integrated into the pre-calculus class, so it probably won't make much of a difference. Chances are by the time you son needs any trig in pre-calculus he will all ready have all the information.

Related to Is it Normal to Take Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus Together in High School?

1. What are the benefits of taking high school courses?

High school courses provide students with a strong foundation of knowledge and skills that are necessary for success in college and beyond. These courses also help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as time management and organization skills.

2. How do I choose which high school courses to take?

It is important to choose high school courses that align with your interests, future career goals, and college requirements. Consult with your guidance counselor or academic advisor for guidance on which courses to take.

3. Can I take advanced or college-level courses in high school?

Yes, many high schools offer advanced or college-level courses, such as Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB). These courses can help you earn college credit and stand out on college applications.

4. What are the differences between honors and regular high school courses?

Honors courses typically cover the same material as regular courses, but at a faster pace and with more challenging assignments. These courses may also have a higher workload and more rigorous grading criteria.

5. How can I get help with my high school courses?

There are many resources available for students who need help with their high school courses. You can seek assistance from your teachers, attend after-school tutoring sessions, form study groups with classmates, or access online resources and study materials.