Is it possible that Higgs is a force carrier?

In summary: I think we just call it the Higgs field because that's what it is.Vanadium explained exactly sense the Higgs exerts a force. Like he said, you can look at the first order interaction between, say, electrons mediated by the Higgs and then work out the classical limit. When you do this with the photon to first order, you get Coulomb's law. You'd get a similar classical force between electrons due to the Higgs, but as has been pointed out, it's very, very weak.
Bruce Wallman
Every gauge boson is within a field and carries a force. Higgs is a scalar (spin 0) boson. I am not sure which category a graviton (spin 2) would fit into, but it surely would carry a force. Is it possible that Higgs carries a force that we have not recognized yet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not all bosons are gauge bosons. Just all gauge bosons are elementary bosons. But we have composite bosons too. Now Higgs is a fundamental boson but not a gauge boson.By definition, its gauge bosons which are the carriers of forces.

The Higgs does carry a force but it is weak and short ranged. The Higgs component of the force between two electrons an Angstrom apart will be much smaller that 10-one million of the electromagnetic force. You'll never measure it.

Vanadium 50 said:
The Higgs does carry a force but it is weak and short ranged. The Higgs component of the force between two electrons an Angstrom apart will be much smaller that 10-one million of the electromagnetic force. You'll never measure it.
That's very strange to me. I always thought that only the particles that come from the quantization of gauge fields, are carriers of forces, and also thought that all forces in SM are thought to be consequences of symmetries. But I never heard of Higgs field as a gauge field coming from demand of symmetry w.r.t. a particular kind of transformation. I'm really surprised and confused. Can you give some references?

Shyan said:
That's very strange to me. I always thought that only the particles that come from the quantization of gauge fields, are carriers of forces, and also thought that all forces in SM are thought to be consequences of symmetries. But I never heard of Higgs field as a gauge field coming from demand of symmetry w.r.t. a particular kind of transformation. I'm really surprised and confused. Can you give some references?

The higgs field is coupled to a bunch of stuff in the standard model. I guess the coupling constants are just small or something. Not too sure myself.

Just write down the Feynman diagram ee -- H -- ee, take a look at the amplitude, and write down the equivalent classical force. This is essentially what Yukawa did.

Vanadium 50 said:
Just write down the Feynman diagram ee -- H -- ee, take a look at the amplitude, and write down the equivalent classical force. This is essentially what Yukawa did.
Of course, when you say force, you don't mean the same thing as in the four fundamental forces, right? In fact, I don't see in what sense you say Higgs exerts a force.

Shyan said:
Of course, when you say force, you don't mean the same thing as in the four fundamental forces, right? In fact, I don't see in what sense you say Higgs exerts a force.

Vanadium explained exactly sense the Higgs exerts a force. Like he said, you can look at the first order interaction between, say, electrons mediated by the Higgs and then work out the classical limit. When you do this with the photon to first order, you get Coulomb's law. You'd get a similar classical force between electrons due to the Higgs, but as has been pointed out, it's very, very weak.

Shyan said:
Of course, when you say force, you don't mean the same thing as in the four fundamental forces, right?

By "force" I mean the thing you would measure if you used a very, very accurate spring scale. As far as whether this is part of the electroweak force or gets its own name, well, those are just words.

1. Is the Higgs boson considered a fundamental force carrier?

Yes, the Higgs boson is considered one of the four fundamental force carriers in the Standard Model of particle physics. It is responsible for giving particles their mass through the Higgs mechanism.

2. How was the existence of the Higgs boson confirmed?

The existence of the Higgs boson was confirmed in 2012 by the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. Scientists analyzed data from particle collisions and observed a signal consistent with the predicted properties of the Higgs boson.

3. Could there be more than one type of Higgs boson?

According to current theories, there is only one type of Higgs boson. However, some theories suggest the possibility of additional types of Higgs bosons, but this has not yet been confirmed by experiments.

4. Can the Higgs boson interact with other fundamental particles?

Yes, the Higgs boson can interact with other fundamental particles, such as quarks and leptons, through the Higgs field. This interaction is what gives particles their mass.

5. How does the Higgs boson relate to the Higgs field?

The Higgs boson is a manifestation of the Higgs field, a quantum field that permeates the universe. The Higgs field is responsible for giving particles their mass, and the Higgs boson is the particle associated with this field.