Is it possible that there is a 220 volts but low current?

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where a meter has detected 220 volts at a power outlet, but a split-type AC unit does not work when a backup generator is used. The responder inquires about the electrical service and generator being used, and suggests the possibility of an open circuit situation due to lack of details. They also mention the importance of having an "Anti-Islanding" switch over circuit for safety purposes.
Sevs evans
I read at the power outlet,the meter detect 220 volts but the split type AC doesn't work.it happens when I used the back up generator.

Engineering news on Phys.org
To answer the question in your title line, yes, you can have 220 v potential but no current. This is simply an open circuit situation.

Sevs evans said:
I read at the power outlet,the meter detect 220 volts but the split type AC doesn't work.it happens when I used the back up generator.
Welcome to the PF.

We need more details in order to be of help. What country are you in? What is the electrical service to your house? For example, here in the US it is commonly 2-phase, with 240V between the outer phases and 120V from each phase to Neutral. Is that what your house is fed from the distribution pole outside?

And what kind of generator do you have? Can you post a link to the datasheet or description? How do you connect the generator to your house? Do you have an approved "Anti-Islanding" switchover circuit? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islanding

Likes OCR

1. Is it possible for a circuit to have 220 volts but low current?

Yes, it is possible for a circuit to have 220 volts but low current. The voltage of a circuit refers to the potential difference between two points, while the current refers to the flow of electric charge. These two are independent of each other and can vary in a circuit.

2. Why is the voltage of a circuit important?

The voltage of a circuit is important because it determines the amount of potential energy available to move electric charges. This potential energy is necessary for electrical devices to function properly.

3. Can a circuit with low current cause damage?

No, a circuit with low current is not likely to cause damage. Current is the measure of the rate of flow of electric charge, and low current means there is less charge flowing per unit time. However, it is always important to follow safety precautions when working with electricity.

4. What factors can affect the current in a circuit?

The current in a circuit can be affected by the resistance of the circuit components, the voltage applied, and the type of material the circuit is made of. Other factors such as temperature, length of the circuit, and presence of external magnetic fields can also impact the current.

5. How can I increase the current in a circuit with 220 volts?

To increase the current in a circuit with 220 volts, you can either decrease the resistance in the circuit or increase the voltage applied. This will allow for more electric charges to flow through the circuit, resulting in a higher current.

Resources for: Is it possible that there is a 220 volts but low current?