Is it possible to be infected by the same cold virus twice?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of reinfection with a virus after recovering from it, especially in regards to the common cold. It is revealed that rhinoviruses are highly variable and that subsequent infections are usually caused by a different version of the virus. The duration of virus germs on surfaces and infected mucous is also mentioned, with primary transmission being through aerosols. The speaker also mentions their own efforts to prevent the spread of germs through self-quarantine and cleaning with tools such as a HEPA vacuum and bleach.
ElliotSmith
I am just getting over a relatively minor headcold, and I was curious if it was possible to get infected by the same bug you just got over.

My keyboard, computer desk, and other objects are covered in these germs as I have touched them and sneezed on them countless times in the past 5-6 days.

Do these exact same germs pose any actual risk of reinfection?

And what if you get somebody else sick, can you catch it back from them after you get well?

Biology news on Phys.org
Getting over a virus means that your immune system has learned to identify and defeat it. The cold rhinoviruses are among the most variable known.

No, if you were indeed over version one, then your subsequent infection was with a different version.

The example of the less variable influenza viruses may be illustrative.

Likes audire
So I am immune to my own germs?

How long do virus germs like from the common cold, stay alive and active on surfaces and infected mucous like phlegm?

Primary transmission is by aerosols. Surface contact is certainly possible. Rhinovirus viron survival up to 18 hours in an hospitable external environment is possible .

Immune from your own germs? In general, no, just not feeling sickly. There are estimated to be vastly more foreign cells in your body than yours.

I/we self-quarantine/isolate to the extent possible, we live on a small remote Island. I am a meticulous housekeeper/cleaner. My favorite tools are my HEPA vacuum and jug of NaClO bleach.

1. Can I get the same cold virus more than once?

Yes, it is possible to be infected by the same cold virus more than once. The common cold is caused by a large group of viruses, and there are many different strains that can cause the same symptoms. This means that even if you have had a cold caused by one strain of virus, you can still be infected by a different strain in the future.

2. How long does immunity to a cold virus last?

The length of immunity to a cold virus varies for each person and depends on the specific strain of virus. Some people may have immunity for a few months, while others may have immunity for several years. Additionally, viruses can mutate and change, making it possible to be re-infected by a slightly different version of the same strain.

3. Can I catch a cold from someone with the same virus?

Yes, it is possible to catch a cold from someone who has the same virus as you. This is because there are many different strains of the cold virus, and even if you have the same one, your body may not have developed immunity to it yet. Additionally, the virus can mutate and change, making it slightly different than the one you were previously infected with.

4. Does having a cold once make you immune to all cold viruses?

No, having a cold once does not make you immune to all cold viruses. As mentioned before, there are many different strains of the cold virus, and your body may not develop immunity to all of them after being infected with just one. It is important to continue practicing good hygiene and staying away from sick individuals to reduce your chances of getting a cold.

5. Can I get a cold from the same virus again if I am already sick with a cold?

It is possible to be infected by the same cold virus again while you are still sick with a cold. This can happen if the virus mutates and changes, making it different enough for your body to not recognize it as the same virus. Additionally, your immune system may be weakened while you are already fighting off a cold, making it easier for another strain of the virus to infect you.