Is it possible to build a laser from a light bulb?

In summary, the conversation discusses a drawing depicting a generic bulb covered by a mirrored hollow ball with a small hole in the center. It is suggested that the complete light from the bulb will go through this small hole and be bundled by a lens to a distant focal point. However, it is noted that this may be difficult to achieve and the resulting light would not be like a laser. It is also mentioned that most of the light would bounce around and get absorbed, making it not feasible. The idea of using a parabolic mirror and converging lens is proposed, but it is ultimately concluded that it would require a lot of energy and not work as a laser due to the differences in frequency and phase between a light bulb and a laser.
somega
In my drawing you can see:
A generic bulb covered by a mirrored hollow ball.
The hollow ball has a small hole (1 mm diameter).
So the complete light will go through this small hole.
The lens will bundle the light in a very distant (100 km) focal point.

I guess it might be hard to create such a lens. But I don't know.
Is this possible? IMG_1032.JPG

Engineering news on Phys.org
The resultant light would not be anything like a laser (I suggest you look up how they work and what they produce), it would be a diffuse glow, not a collimated beam.

somega said:
No it won’t. Most of it will bounce around and eventually get absorbed, heating up the enclosure.

Laser light is coherent. Light from an incandescent bulb is not.

Likes Vanadium 50
When I was a kid I tried to make a planetarium star projector by making numerous tiny holes in a piece of aluminum foil that I then draped around a 100W light bulb. I didn't get a star pattern on the ceiling. And it didn't take long for the bulb to melt.

Likes Dr_Nate, anorlunda and hutchphd
somega said:
If you want to do this, I think you have to make a parabolic mirror with a converging lens in the focus.

Nevertheless, you just will take a lot of energy and it won't work as a laser.
The converging lens will give you a point where all beams come together, while the laser is a punctual emission that just goes straight ahead, with all beams parallels (so you can consider it as a single beam).
lenses-sections-forms-Refraction-light-f-length.jpg

More info:
The laser emits light only in one frequency (thus the monochromatic light) while the light bulb emits in all frequencies (white light). Besides, every wave in the light bulb has a phase shift respect to the others, in the laser all waves are in phase.

1. Can a regular light bulb be used to build a laser?

No, a regular light bulb cannot be used to build a laser. Lasers require specialized components and precise engineering to produce a highly focused and coherent beam of light.

2. What is the difference between a light bulb and a laser?

The main difference between a light bulb and a laser is the way they produce light. A light bulb emits light in all directions, while a laser produces a narrow and focused beam of light. This is due to the different methods of light amplification used in each device.

3. Is it possible to modify a light bulb to create a laser?

Technically, it is possible to modify a light bulb to produce a laser-like beam. However, this would require significant knowledge and expertise in laser technology and could be potentially dangerous. It is not a recommended or practical method for building a laser.

4. Can a laser pointer be made from a light bulb?

No, a laser pointer cannot be made from a light bulb. Laser pointers use a small semiconductor laser diode to produce a focused beam of light, while light bulbs use a filament and gas to produce light. These are two fundamentally different technologies.

5. Are there any DIY methods for building a laser from a light bulb?

There are many tutorials and guides available online for building a laser from a light bulb using household materials. However, these methods are not reliable or safe, and the resulting "laser" would not have the same properties or capabilities as a professionally built laser. It is not recommended to attempt building a laser from a light bulb on your own.