Unraveling the Mysteries of Gravity: From Light Bulbs to Spiral Galaxies

• I
  • Thread starter Dan Nixon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of gravity needed to dim a light bulb and the possibility of creating an experiment to test it. It is mentioned that any amount of mass can cause gravitational redshift, but the redshift from the mass of a light bulb would not be detectable with current technology. The conversation also touches on the effects of a supermassive black hole on the structure of a spiral galaxy and the feasibility of creating a device to artificially produce gravity. The conversation ends with a discussion on the type of light bulb and its impact on the experiment.
Dan Nixon
How much gravity is needed to dim a light bulb?
Could this exsperiment ever actuly be created?

Also is the shape of a spiral galaxy like ours due to the effect of the supper massive black hole at its center has on all the other stuff in the galaxy ? Or is it because of the effect the black hole has on spacetime all the other stuff is just falling inwardly?
From an observatinal stand point since we are in a spiral gallixy looking outwardly under the abouves inplyed effect wouldn't from our perspective the univurs seem to be expanding ?? Woulnt we need to be in a place in the univurs that is as far away from any mass as possible in order to make an observatinal messurment of exspantion and time dielation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dan Nixon said:
How much gravity is needed to dim a light bulb?
Could this exsperiment ever actuly be created?

By "dim" do you mean red shift? Any amount of mass (including the light bulb) causes some gravitational redshift. The redshift from the mass of a lightbulb would not be detectable with current tech.

If the bulb is inside the event horizon of a black hole then none of the photons escape. If a very tiny black hole existed the hawking radiation could be brighter than the bulb. P= 3.562×1032 W kg2/M2 = 100W so M = 1.9 x 1015 kg. Any black hole smaller than 1.9 x 1015 kg will be brighter than the light bulb.

Dan Nixon said:
Also is the shape of a spiral galaxy like ours due to the effect of the supper massive black hole at its center has on all the other stuff in the galaxy ? Or is it because of the effect the black hole has on spacetime all the other stuff is just falling inwardly?...

The mass of the galaxy effects its structure much more than the black hole. The Milky Way has a relatively small black hole. There is 1012 solar mass in the galaxy and at most 4.5 x 106 in the black hole. 1/200,000 is not enough to dominate the structure.

Likes Dan Nixon
I was thanking if I built a device that could create artificial mass/ gravity as strong or as weak as I needed .. Put a bright light bulb on top. And from some distance away how much gravity would it take for from my prospective I could no longer see the lightbuld light??
And any thoughts on how such an exsperiment could be pulled off??

Dan Nixon said:
...how much gravity would it take for from my prospective I could no longer see the lightbuld light??
And any thoughts on how such an exsperiment could be pulled off??

Does shifting the visible light to infrared count. You would not be able to see infrared with your eyes. It can be detected.

The type of light bulb makes a difference. The light from a standard incandescent (Edison type) bulb is not the same as a compact fluorescent or LED bulb. Typical street lights in the United States are high pressure sodium bulbs. Halogen bulbs and mercury vapor are also common. Wikipedia has a list of light sources.

Incandescent bulbs can be tungsten, carbon or others. The power of a bulb effects the filament temperature and therefore it's light output. HPS bulbs give off a lot of 590 nm radiation which makes it easier for this question[assuming I understood the question]. Most human eyes cannot see 750 nm red.
z = (750-590)/590 = 0.27
So maybe you want to know how to "cause a red-shift of 0.27"?

"How much gravity?" is more complicated than it sounds. Earth has a fairly constant mass but force of gravity changes with altitude. But you can plug that into the equation:
32281ba5d64b16f8f2379257d6c1182af6c7481e

2GM/(rc2) = (1+z)-2-1 = 0.38
GM/r = 1.7 x 1016
M/r= 2.5 x 1026
r = 2.5 x 1026/M

G is gravitational constant
M is mass of object creating gravity. (probably what was meant by "amount of gravity")
c is speed of light
r is radius from center of mass of bulb

So, for example, at 1 meter radius from an object with 2.5 x 1026 kg mass the light from sodium vapor bulb will to redshift to infra red. Not likely to find an object with that mass and a radius less than 1 meter. If the Sagitarius A* black hole has mass 8.6 x 1036 kg then a 400 watt HPS bulb at 3.4 x 1010 m or 34 million km will shine in infrared and would not be visible to human eyes.

[check arithmetic, is late and i am tired]

stefan r said:
Does shifting the visible light to infrared count. You would not be able to see infrared with your eyes. It can be detected.

The type of light bulb makes a difference. The light from a standard incandescent (Edison type) bulb is not the same as a compact fluorescent or LED bulb. Typical street lights in the United States are high pressure sodium bulbs. Halogen bulbs and mercury vapor are also common. Wikipedia has a list of light sources.

Incandescent bulbs can be tungsten, carbon or others. The power of a bulb effects the filament temperature and therefore it's light output. HPS bulbs give off a lot of 590 nm radiation which makes it easier for this question[assuming I understood the question]. Most human eyes cannot see 750 nm red.
z = (750-590)/590 = 0.27

"How much gravity?" is more complicated than it sounds. Earth has a fairly constant mass but force of gravity changes with altitude. But you can plug that into the equation:

GM/r = 1.7 x 1016
M/r= 2.5 x 1026
r = 2.5 x 1026/M

M is mass of object creating gravity. (probably what was meant by "amount of gravity")
c is speed of light

So, for example, at 1 meter radius from an object with 2.5 x 1026 kg mass the light from sodium vapor bulb will to redshift to infra red. Not likely to find an object with that mass and a radius less than 1 meter. If the Sagitarius A* black hole has mass 8.6 x 1036 kg then a 400 watt HPS bulb at 3.4 x 1010 m or 34 million km will shine in infrared and would not be visible to human eyes.

stefan r said:

z = (750-590)/590 = 0.27

GM/r = 1.7 x 1016
M/r= 2.5 x 1026
r = 2.5 x 1026/M

c is speed of light

Sure it counts becouse you just made my random thought interesting thank you..

Dan Nixon said:
Sure it counts becouse you just made my random thought interesting thank you..
Besides gravitational lensing is there any other proof that gravity can effect light to the exstreem that it can not escape? Is there any other process that can be directly observed .. Is there any possible way to prove that a black hole can't be seen becouse gravity? And not another process that dousnt allow light escape?

Dan Nixon said:
Besides gravitational lensing is there any other proof that gravity can effect light to the exstreem that it can not escape? Is there any other process that can be directly observed .. Is there any possible way to prove that a black hole can't be seen becouse gravity? And not another process that dousnt allow light escape?
There's the Pound-Rebka experiment confirming gravitational redshift.

Likes Dan Nixon
No such machine exists, as far as I know, to create artificial gravity.

1. How does gravity work?

Gravity is a force that exists between any two objects in the universe. It is caused by the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This is why planets have a stronger pull than smaller objects like rocks. Gravity also decreases as the distance between objects increases.

2. Why do objects fall towards the ground?

Objects fall towards the ground because of the force of gravity. When an object is dropped, the Earth's gravitational pull causes it to accelerate towards the ground. This is because the Earth has a larger mass than the object, so its gravitational pull is stronger.

3. What did Isaac Newton discover about gravity?

Isaac Newton discovered that gravity is a universal force that affects all objects in the universe. He also developed the law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity is directly proportional to the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. How does Einstein's theory of relativity explain gravity?

Einstein's theory of relativity explains gravity as the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass. According to this theory, objects with mass cause a distortion in the fabric of space-time, creating a gravitational field that affects the motion of other objects.

5. Can we manipulate or control gravity?

Currently, we do not have the ability to manipulate or control gravity. However, scientists are constantly researching and experimenting with ways to harness gravity for various purposes, such as space travel or generating energy. Some theories, such as anti-gravity, propose the possibility of manipulating gravity in the future, but more research is needed to fully understand and utilize this force.