Is it possible to build a Telescope the Size of Half the Solar System size using all Lagrange Points?

Mukhtar
If all the Lagrange Points(L1, L2, L3 and L4) are utilized to depart telescopes like JWST, Luvoir and Habex then is it possible to have a Telescope aperture with a half size of Solar System?

Likes FactChecker
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Lagrange Points are specific to a two-body gravitationally-interacting system. So I guess the question is: which Lagrange points are you referring to? If you are thinking of Earth-Sun Lagrange points, then yeah, maybe you could start to build up through interferometry an aperture approaching the AU scale (not the scale of the entire solar system). There are some glaring problems I can think of:
  • You need to actually fill in the space with dishes/apertures to get good resolution. The more inteferometry baselines (pairwise separations of dishes) you have, the better you will do. But you're not going to get much advantage with only handful of baselines.
  • You need to combine signals from the telescopes very precisely in order to do interferometry: either in real time, or after the fact using precise phase information about the EM waves measured by each telescope. Precisely measuring the phase information at optical (UV/vis/IR) wavelengths (compared to radio) is very challenging due to the short wavelength. Combine that with the fact that your spacecraft move around (changing your baselines continuously) and it's not obvious to me that we have precise enough positioning/stationkeeping and timekeeping ability to pull this off.

Likes Mukhtar, ohwilleke, berkeman and 1 other person
LastScattered1090 said:
Lagrange Points are specific to a two-body gravitationally-interacting system. So I guess the question is: which Lagrange points are you referring to? If you are thinking of Earth-Sun Lagrange points, then yeah, maybe you could start to build up through interferometry an aperture approaching the AU scale (not the scale of the entire solar system). There are some glaring problems I can think of:
  • You need to actually fill in the space with dishes/apertures to get good resolution. The more inteferometry baselines (pairwise separations of dishes) you have, the better you will do. But you're not going to get much advantage with only handful of baselines.
  • You need to combine signals from the telescopes very precisely in order to do interferometry: either in real time, or after the fact using precise phase information about the EM waves measured by each telescope. Precisely measuring the phase information at optical (UV/vis/IR) wavelengths (compared to radio) is very challenging due to the short wavelength. Combine that with the fact that your spacecraft move around (changing your baselines continuously) and it's not obvious to me that we have precise enough positioning/stationkeeping and timekeeping ability to pull this off.
The glaring issues can maybe removed by AI to some extent.

Mukhtar said:
I don't see how. AI is not a more stable clock, nor is it higher speed electronics. AI does not reduce positional drift from micrometeorite impacts, nor does it give you extra sensors. What did you have in mind?

Likes russ_watters, LastScattered1090 and DaveE
Ibix said:
I don't see how. AI is not a more stable clock, nor is it higher speed electronics. AI does not reduce positional drift from micrometeorite impacts, nor does it give you extra sensors. What did you have in mind?
Actually I was trying to mean the prediction of positions of planets and stars with their distance differences taken into account along with the size of stars and planets(if real image cannot be captured of such bodies then can be prepared through AI with all the information)

Mukhtar said:
Actually I was trying to mean the prediction of positions of planets and stars with their distance differences taken into account along with the size of stars and planets(if real image cannot be captured of such bodies then can be prepared through AI with all the information)

How, specifically, might this facilitate the quality of the observational data received? AI is not a magic bullet.

Astronomy is about getting new data we don't have. If AI gets hold of it and interpolates stuff - and even merely makes assumptions - then it pollutes not only our data, but the underpinnings of that data.

What if, say, Jupiter isn't where AI thinks it is? (I know, just a dumb example, but still...) And therefore all our subsequent calculations are wrong? Now we have to analyze and verify the AI's predictions in addition to our own work.

Last edited:
Mukhtar said:
This is way off topic for both this thread and this forum. Your original question has been answered. Thread closed.

Likes topsquark

1. Can a telescope be built the size of half the Solar System using all Lagrange Points?

Building a telescope the size of half the Solar System using all Lagrange Points is currently not feasible due to technological limitations. Lagrange Points are areas in space where the gravitational forces of a two-body system produce enhanced regions of attraction and repulsion. However, constructing a telescope of such immense size would require an enormous amount of resources and advanced technology that we do not currently possess.

2. What are the challenges of building a telescope the size of half the Solar System using all Lagrange Points?

The challenges of building a telescope of such a massive scale using all Lagrange Points include the difficulty of coordinating and maintaining such a complex system spread out over vast distances in space. Additionally, the cost of constructing and operating such a telescope would be astronomical, making it impractical with our current level of technology.

3. Would a telescope the size of half the Solar System using all Lagrange Points provide significant scientific benefits?

While a telescope of that size would theoretically have an unprecedented level of resolution and sensitivity, it is unlikely that the scientific benefits would outweigh the immense costs and technical challenges of building and operating such a telescope. There are more practical and cost-effective ways to achieve similar scientific goals using smaller telescopes and innovative technologies.

4. Are there any proposed plans or concepts for building a telescope the size of half the Solar System using all Lagrange Points?

There are currently no serious proposals or concepts for building a telescope of that scale using all Lagrange Points. The challenges and limitations of such a project make it unlikely to be pursued in the near future. Scientists and engineers are focusing on more achievable and practical approaches to advancing observational astronomy.

5. What are some alternative approaches to building large telescopes for astronomical observations?

Alternative approaches to building large telescopes for astronomical observations include using interferometry to combine the signals from multiple smaller telescopes to achieve the resolution of a larger telescope. Ground-based observatories and space telescopes like the Hubble Space Telescope also provide valuable data for astronomers. Advances in technology, such as adaptive optics and new telescope designs, continue to improve the capabilities of telescopes for scientific research.