Is it possible to find this without knowing it? (ingredients in bleach)

• Thread starter TT0
  • Start date
In summary: NaClO.In summary, the conversation discusses the active ingredient in common household bleach solutions and eliminates options A, D, and E. It is determined that the active ingredient must be a strong oxidizer, making option B (NaClO) the most likely choice. This is due to the fact that bleach works by oxidizing everything, making the strong oxidizing properties of NaClO highly suitable.
TT0

Homework Statement

An active ingredient in common household bleach solutions is most likely to be which of the following?

A)NaCl
B)NaClO
C)NaHCO3
D)Na2SO4
E)HC2H3O2

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

So bleach is a cleaning agent and most cleaning agents are basic so then the salt needs to be a basic salt (so formed from a weak acid). This eliminates A and D. E won't be it cause it is a weak acid. This leaves B and C. The weak acid is hypochlorous acid and carbonic acid respectively. But I can't choose between the 2. I only found out by googling bleach. Is there a way to solve it or do you just need to know that bleach contains sodium hypochlorite?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: the way bleach works is it oxidizes everything.

Likes TT0
I am guessing that ClO- is a better oxidising agent than HCO3- but I am not sure why...or how it helps me solve the problem...

Nothing to guess here - hypochlorite is highly reactive, after all its properties are related to chlorine with which it is in equilibrium:

Cl2 + H2O ↔ HOCl + HCl

Carbonic acid is just a weak acid, without oxidizing properties.

TT0 said:
how it helps me solve the problem

Well, question asks for

TT0 said:
An active ingredient

so a strong oxidizer sounds much better than an anemic acid, doesn't it?

Likes TT0
Thanks

1. Can ingredients in bleach be found without prior knowledge?

Yes, it is possible to find the ingredients in bleach without prior knowledge. This information is typically listed on the product label or can be found through online resources.

2. What are the main ingredients in bleach?

The main ingredients in bleach are sodium hypochlorite and water. Other ingredients may also be present, such as fragrance or stabilizers.

3. Is it safe to use bleach without knowing its ingredients?

Yes, it is generally safe to use bleach without knowing its ingredients. However, it is always recommended to read and follow the instructions and safety precautions listed on the product label.

4. Are there any harmful ingredients in bleach?

Bleach is a strong chemical and should be used with caution. Some people may be sensitive to the ingredients in bleach and experience irritation or allergic reactions. It is important to handle and use bleach according to the instructions to avoid any potential harm.

5. Can I find the specific concentrations of each ingredient in bleach?

The specific concentrations of each ingredient in bleach may vary between brands and products. These concentrations are not always listed on the product label, but can sometimes be found through online resources or by contacting the manufacturer directly.