Is it possible to get 90% average in your final year exams?

In summary, the speaker is a new member entering their final year of university and is wondering if it is possible to achieve a GPA of 90% or above in their final year modules. They mention that in their first year, one student got an average of 89% and question if this can be replicated despite the difficulty of the courses. The response suggests that it is possible, but it depends on the policies of the professors and the effort put in by the student. The speaker also mentions that in the UK, it is rare to see grades above 80% and that professors may intentionally lower grades to avoid too many high achievers.
aNewBeginning
Hi guys, new member here.

I am entering my final year of university and really want to give it my best shot. Have people on here or anywhere else ever got 90% or above average in their module marks for final year? My final year involves optics, solid state physics, statistical mechanics, advanced quantum physics, fundamentals of biophysics and nanotechnology and medical imaging.

In the first year someone in my year got an average of 89% but I was wondering if this can be replicated in the final year too, despite it being much harder, and if anyone has done it before?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would it not be possible?

A lot has to do with the detail of your school and your professors. Usually such grades aren't handed out easily, but unless your professors all have policies of never assigning a grade above 89% then sure it's possible.

I suspect the greater question you're really interested in is what you have to do to achieve such a GPA. And the answer to that lies in taking a lard look at what you've had success with up until this point. If you've been pulling down marks in the 80s then pulling yourself up over the 90 line is likely possible with more effort on the stuff that's worked before. If you're down in the 60s, you've got a much larger chasm to cross and holes in your foundation to fill, which make such a goal less realistic.

It sounds like you are in the UK. I did an MSc there and from what I could tell, 70% is considered the highest grade level that you can achieve (70-100 is grouped into the same category). What I experienced was that the professors would try to find small errors in your work to bring the grade significantly down so that there weren't lots of people with 80+%. I think the top one or two students in my class may have gotten 90+% only on two or three assignments throughout the entire MSc, and never on the exams. I am not even sure if it is possible to get a 100% in a UK module.

1. Can I get a 90% average in my final year exams?

While it is possible to achieve a 90% average in your final year exams, it depends on a variety of factors such as your previous grades, study habits, and the difficulty of the exams. It is important to set realistic goals and put in the necessary effort to achieve them.

2. Is a 90% average necessary for success in my field?

While a high average can certainly be beneficial, it is not the only factor that determines success in a field. Other factors such as experience, skills, and networking can also play a significant role. It is important to focus on developing a well-rounded set of skills rather than solely aiming for a high average.

3. How can I improve my chances of getting a 90% average?

To increase your chances of achieving a 90% average, it is important to start early and consistently put in effort throughout the year. Make a study plan, stay organized, and seek help from professors or tutors if needed. It is also important to take care of your physical and mental health, as these can greatly impact your academic performance.

4. What if I don't get a 90% average in my final year exams?

It is important to remember that grades do not define your worth or potential for success. If you do not achieve a 90% average, it does not mean you cannot be successful in your field. Reflect on your strengths and areas for improvement, and use this as a learning experience for future endeavors.

5. Is aiming for a 90% average realistic?

This depends on your personal capabilities and the difficulty of your courses. While a 90% average may be achievable for some, it may not be realistic for others. It is important to set goals that are challenging yet attainable for you, and to focus on continuous improvement rather than comparing yourself to others.