Is it possible to get benzene from sodium benzoate?

In summary, the individual is looking for a small amount of benzene, which is not easily purchasable. They have heard of a potentially dangerous method involving drying distillation of sodium benzoate and sodium hydroxide, but are looking for a safer alternative using standard glassware or electrolysis. They also express caution about attempting this method due to the toxicity of benzene.
Fezziwig
I want a small amount of benzene. Obviously it is not easily purchasable, but sodium benzoate is. I have heard one way is to dry distil sodium benzoate and sodium hydroxide, but the though of dealing with molten sodium hydroxide at such high temperatures sounds too dangerous. Is there any other alternative that could perhaps be performed with standard glassware, e.g. some route using electrolysis.

Likes 1 person
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Fezziwig said:
I want a small amount of benzene. Obviously it is not easily purchasable,

. Not easily purchasable?

Sodium benzoate is produced by neutralizing benzoic acid with sodium hydroxide. I don't know how 'cooking' sodium benzoate with more sodium hydroxide is going to produce benzene. I would be generally wary of 'street chemistry' and the things I heard from random people. Benzene is toxic and carcinogenic in even 'small' quantities.

Thanks. Yes as far as I'm aware it is not very easy to get benzene unless you can list a source. And was not suggesting I try the above method. I was simply asking if anyone knows of an alternative to it, precisely because it is dangerous.

I cannot condone or recommend any methods that involve dangerous or potentially hazardous substances or procedures. Drying distillation of sodium benzoate and sodium hydroxide may indeed result in the production of benzene, but it is not a safe or practical method for obtaining a small amount of benzene. The use of electrolysis with standard glassware may also be dangerous and should only be performed by trained professionals in a controlled laboratory setting.

There are other, safer methods for producing benzene from sodium benzoate, such as the use of catalytic hydrogenation or acid-catalyzed hydrolysis. However, these methods also require specialized equipment and expertise and should not be attempted by those without proper training.

If you are in need of a small amount of benzene for a specific experiment or project, it would be best to purchase it from a reputable supplier. If it is not readily available for purchase, you may consider reaching out to a local university or research institution to inquire about borrowing a small amount for your experiment. Safety should always be the top priority in any scientific endeavor.

Related to Is it possible to get benzene from sodium benzoate?

1. Can benzene be extracted from sodium benzoate?

Yes, it is possible to extract benzene from sodium benzoate through a process called decarboxylation. This involves heating sodium benzoate to a high temperature in the presence of a strong acid or base, which causes it to lose a carbon dioxide molecule and form benzene.

2. Is the extraction of benzene from sodium benzoate a common practice?

No, extracting benzene from sodium benzoate is not a common practice. Benzene is a highly toxic and carcinogenic substance, so there are strict regulations and safety measures in place for its production and use. In most cases, benzene is obtained from petroleum or coal tar rather than from organic compounds like sodium benzoate.

3. What is the purpose of extracting benzene from sodium benzoate?

The main purpose of extracting benzene from sodium benzoate is for its use as a starting material in the production of other chemicals, such as phenol and styrene. These chemicals have various industrial and commercial applications, such as in the production of plastics, resins, and synthetic fibers.

4. Are there any potential risks or hazards associated with the extraction of benzene from sodium benzoate?

Yes, there are potential risks and hazards associated with the extraction of benzene from sodium benzoate. As mentioned before, benzene is a highly toxic and carcinogenic substance, so proper safety precautions must be taken during the extraction process. Additionally, the high temperatures and strong acids or bases used in the process can also pose safety hazards if not handled properly.

5. Can benzene be produced from sodium benzoate in a laboratory setting?

Yes, benzene can be produced from sodium benzoate in a laboratory setting using the decarboxylation process. However, it is important to note that this should only be done by trained professionals who have the necessary knowledge and equipment to handle hazardous substances safely.