Is it possible to make your metallic glass

• Thread starter Mustafa Umut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary: I know you can injection mold certain metallic alloys, but they are not amorphous and would not have the same properties.In summary, it is possible to produce metallic glass through rapid solidification processes, but not through thermoplastic injection. The technology for producing amorphous metals is mainly used in industrial applications, and it is unlikely that it can be replicated at home.
Mustafa Umut
I need metallic glass for my hobbies and crafts.
I learned that its possible to thermoplastic injection of metallic glass.
Is it possible to produce such a lumb of metal and how ?

Best regards ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

Engineering news on Phys.org
If by "metallic glass" you mean a clear metal, no it can't be done through any process I've heard of. However, I'm sure there is some research being done in the area of rapid prototyping/manufacturing to make composite parts using glass and metal. I doubt it would end up being clear however, and probably not as strong as either.

It doesn't make sense that you'd be able to make a metallic glass through a thermoplastic injeciton process, since by definition a thermoplastic injection process is made to be used with thermoplastics, not glass and metal.

I meant with metallic glass , amorph metal.
Some companies produce these materials for to make golf clubs to guns.
And it is possible to inject it.
I am asking is there any researcher , home maker produced his own amorph metal ?

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

Mustafa

The idea of metallic glass is to have metals that are amorphous that are stronger than crystalline metals as there are no dislocations to overcome. To achieve this state the metals must be supercooled ie, after the molten metal alloys have been added they are quenched pretty fast at superlow temperatures giving no time for the crystalline structures to form.

If you require papers on this I will be glad to pass them on to you. I am not sure though if one can inject it.

Darkelf ,

US military thinks to inject amorph metals into the shape of rifle barrels.
I think nobody knows to do at home.
mustafaumutsarac@ g mail com is my e mail address.
If you pass the papers , I will be happy.
I read something pouring the metal to the copper molds.
I think there are many formulas but I read there is % 80-90 aluminium content formulas.
I think they will be easy to make.
I need to learn this cooling technology.

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

Mustafa,

You talking about casting here. As in casting the metal into the shape you want it then cooling it. Most of the technology for this is done in switzeland and its used for laptops. I don't think the metal alloy composition is much in question as the aim is to avoid crystal structures in the metal so most metal alloy compositions will do.
Now about millitary applications, I have no idea on that and leave that to the miltary.

Amorphous metals are prepared by rapid solidification processes.

Mustafa Umut said:
I need metallic glass for my hobbies and crafts.
I learned that its possible to thermoplastic injection of metallic glass.
Is it possible to produce such a lumb of metal and how ?

Best regards ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul
I have a little experience with melt-spinning, but you can only make thin ribbons using this technique. And for most metals/alloys you would need liquid nitrogen to cool the wheel.

But I am not aware of thermoplastic injection of amorphous/glassy materials.

Related to Is it possible to make your metallic glass

1. Can you explain what metallic glass is?

Metallic glass, also known as amorphous metal or glassy metal, is a type of alloy that has a disordered atomic structure, similar to that of glass. This structure gives metallic glass unique properties such as high strength, good corrosion resistance, and high elasticity.

2. Is it possible to make metallic glass?

Yes, it is possible to make metallic glass through a process called rapid solidification or melt spinning. This involves quickly cooling a molten metal alloy at a rate of millions of degrees per second, preventing the atoms from arranging themselves in a regular crystalline structure and resulting in an amorphous structure.

3. What are the advantages of metallic glass?

Metallic glass has several advantages over traditional crystalline metals, including higher strength and hardness, better corrosion resistance, and the ability to be molded into complex shapes. It also has a higher strength-to-weight ratio, making it ideal for use in aerospace and automotive industries.

4. What are the limitations of metallic glass?

The main limitation of metallic glass is its brittleness, which can make it prone to cracking or shattering under certain conditions. It also tends to have a lower ductility, meaning it is less able to deform without breaking. Additionally, the process of making metallic glass can be expensive and challenging, limiting its widespread use.

5. What are some current and potential uses of metallic glass?

Currently, metallic glass is used in a variety of applications, including electronics, sporting goods, and medical devices. It also has potential uses in structural materials, such as in buildings and bridges, due to its high strength and corrosion resistance. Researchers are also exploring ways to improve the ductility of metallic glass, which could open up even more possibilities for its use.