Is it possible to shift the fermi level?

In summary: I think my question is incomplete. I ll get back soon with clear question.In summary, shifting the Fermi level changes the energy level of electrons within a metal, and it also changes the band gap within the rigid-band assumption.
Anoop MD
I know we can shift the fermi level by doping the material with other elements. In case of semiconductors doping with the pentavalent or trivalent will change the fermi level. But my question is ''can we shift the fermi level, without altering the position of valence band and conduction band?" Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anoop MD said:
I know we can shift the fermi level by doping the material with other elements. In case of semiconductors doping with the pentavalent or trivalent will change the fermi level. But my question is ''can we shift the fermi level, without altering the position of valence band and conduction band?" Thank you.

This is rather vague. The location of the valence and conduction band are often indicated with respect to the Fermi energy, i.e. in many instances, the Fermi energy is referenced to be "zero". Even if it isn't, when you talk about position of the valence and conduction band, what would be your reference point? Are you talking about simply shifting them simultaneously up and down, keeping their positions relative to each other constant (i.e. keeping the gap the same)? Isn't this similar to just shifting the Fermi level under the rigid band assumption?

Zz.

thank you for your explanation, I think my question is incomplete. I ll get back soon with clear question.

You can shift the chemical potential which is the same as the Fermi energy at T=0 but differs at T>0.

There are methods which I read to change the fermi level, one is doping another is applying pressure but I can't understand how these things change the fermi level. Please explain. Thank you

Anoop MD said:
There are methods which I read to change the fermi level, one is doping another is applying pressure but I can't understand how these things change the fermi level. Please explain. Thank you

1. Figure out the EXACT definition of "Fermi level".

2. Take a bunch of electrons, and force it into a metal.

3. What just happened to the those electrons? Where did they go as far as the energy level that they occupy in the metal is concerned?

4. What just happened to the Fermi level?

5. How is this different if the metal is replaced by a semiconductor? Will it change the band gap, within the rigid-band assumption?

Zz.

1. Can the fermi level be shifted in a material?

Yes, the fermi level can be shifted in a material through various methods such as doping, applying an electric field, or changing the temperature.

2. What is the significance of shifting the fermi level?

Shifting the fermi level can affect the electrical and optical properties of a material, such as its conductivity, band gap, and absorption spectrum. This makes it an important factor in designing and understanding electronic devices and materials.

3. Is it possible to control the amount of fermi level shift in a material?

Yes, the amount of fermi level shift can be controlled by adjusting the concentration or type of dopants, the strength of the electric field, or the temperature of the material. However, the exact amount of shift may also depend on the specific characteristics of the material.

4. Can the fermi level be shifted in all types of materials?

Yes, the fermi level can be shifted in all types of materials, including semiconductors, metals, and insulators. However, the ease and effectiveness of shifting the fermi level may vary depending on the material's properties and composition.

5. What are the potential applications of shifting the fermi level in materials?

Shifting the fermi level in materials has many potential applications, such as in the development of electronic devices, solar cells, and sensors. It can also be used to control the behavior of materials in various environments, such as in chemical reactions or in the presence of external stimuli.