Is it really a bad idea to do a Masters before doing graduate in the U.S?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of pursuing a master's degree in Europe before applying to a graduate program in the US. The speaker is unsure if this would harm their chances of getting into a program or if it is simply not necessary. They also question if it would be beneficial to start research early or if they should find something else to do in the meantime. The other person reassures them that a master's degree may actually improve their chances of admission, especially if it includes research experience. However, they may not be able to apply for the same year and it may be difficult to get research experience as an undergrad in the EU. The possibility of international students participating in American REUs is also mentioned.
icma
Hi,
I've read and been told that it's not a good idea to do a masters (in Europe) before doing a graduate course in the U.S. Is it really a bad idea? would it reduce the chances of getting a place in a graduate program or is it just that it's not required? I understand that it might be repeating some stuff but surely if I've already covered it I can find something else to do? or even start the research early?
Also since my BA results will come in a considerable while after application deadlines in the U.S will I still be able to apply for that year?
If not is there any harm in doing a masters in that extra year or should I find something else to do?
Sorry for asking so many questions,
Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it reduces your chances at all, in fact it may improve them if your grades are decent during the msc. I see a lot of graduate students from the EU and India often get admitted into US grad programs with a MS. under their belt, just look through department webpages. If a MS can expose you to research then it is a really, really good idea, as in the EU it's pretty hard to get research experience as an undergrad.

You probably wouldn't be able to apply for the same year though.

Lavabug said:
in the EU it's pretty hard to get research experience as an undergrad.

+1. There are no such things of REUs 'round here.

Darth Frodo said:
+1. There are no such things of REUs 'round here.
Although they aren't so popular I've come across some, also it seems a few American REUs (http://www.surf.caltech.edu/index.html) take international students.

I cannot provide a definitive answer as it ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and the specific graduate program you are interested in. However, I can offer some general advice and considerations to help you make an informed decision.

Firstly, it is important to understand the differences between a Masters degree and a graduate program in the U.S. A Masters degree is a postgraduate program that typically takes 1-2 years to complete and focuses on a specific subject or area of study. A graduate program, on the other hand, is typically a research-based program that leads to a higher degree, such as a PhD. In the U.S., it is common for students to enter a graduate program directly after completing their undergraduate degree.

One potential concern with doing a Masters before a graduate program in the U.S. is that it may not fully prepare you for the rigors of a research-based program. However, this may not be the case if your Masters program has a strong research component and you are able to gain relevant experience and skills. Additionally, if you are able to start your research early during your Masters program, this could potentially give you an advantage in your graduate program.

Another consideration is the admissions process for graduate programs in the U.S. Some programs may prefer applicants who have completed their undergraduate degree and have not yet pursued a Masters, as they may be seen as more focused and committed to their research interests. However, this may not be the case for all programs and it is important to research the specific requirements and preferences of the programs you are interested in.

Regarding your question about applying for the same year as your BA results, it is possible that some programs may allow for this, but it is best to check with the individual programs to confirm their deadlines and requirements.

In terms of whether it is harmful to do a Masters in that extra year, it ultimately depends on how you use that time. If you are able to gain valuable experience and skills, it could strengthen your application for a graduate program. However, if you are unable to do so, it may not be as beneficial as gaining experience in a different field or pursuing other opportunities.

In summary, it is not necessarily a bad idea to do a Masters before a graduate program in the U.S., but it is important to carefully consider your individual circumstances, the requirements and preferences of the programs you are interested in, and how you can use your time effectively to strengthen your application. I would also recommend speaking with advisors or

Related to Is it really a bad idea to do a Masters before doing graduate in the U.S?

1. Is it necessary to do a Masters before pursuing graduate studies in the U.S?

No, it is not necessary to do a Masters before pursuing graduate studies in the U.S. Many students enter graduate programs directly after completing their undergraduate degree.

2. What are the advantages of doing a Masters before graduate studies in the U.S?

One advantage is that a Masters degree can provide students with a stronger foundation and more specialized knowledge in their field, which can be beneficial for their graduate studies. Additionally, a Masters degree can make students more competitive when applying for graduate programs.

3. Are there any disadvantages to doing a Masters before graduate studies in the U.S?

One potential disadvantage is the additional time and financial commitment required to complete a Masters degree before pursuing graduate studies. Additionally, some graduate programs may prefer students with a diverse educational background, rather than two degrees in the same field.

4. Will doing a Masters before graduate studies in the U.S affect my job prospects?

This depends on the field and specific job opportunities. In some industries, a Masters degree may be preferred or required for certain positions. However, in other fields, work experience and skills may be more important than having a Masters degree.

5. Can I apply for funding or scholarships for both my Masters and graduate studies in the U.S?

Yes, you can apply for funding and scholarships for both your Masters and graduate studies in the U.S. However, it is important to research and carefully consider the financial implications of pursuing two degrees before making a decision.