Is it worth going to lectures and tutorials in engineering?

In summary: It's a "two-way street." Students don't show up, why should faculty bother to make an effort? You're there to learn --- some of them are there to teach --- give them a chance.
Engineering student here. Last semester I didn't go to most lectures or tutorials because they were too slow and too boring. However, I see a lot of people say that going to lectures/tutorials is very important. Should I go to them this semester? I averaged an A- last semester (with one A+) taking a full course load, to classes/tutorials I skipped. Ironically, the one class I went to (lectures and tutorials) got me a B.

Science news on Phys.org
Students are generally expected to attend class, particularly to discuss homework. Class participation is important.

It is also a matter of discipline. And, one might be looking for recommendations some day.

Well, I can't say I recommend that. But if it works for you then that's what matters.

Personally, I would just suck it up and go to keep up appearances with your professors. It's only 45 minutes, and you're paying for it, it works out to something like $50-$100 an hour if you ever do the math. Even though attendance might not be graded in the syllabus, it's going to matter if you ever need those professors on your good side: if you want recommendations, or if you want an 89 B+ bumped up to a 90 A-, or if you ever need help on something (sooner or later, there will be something you can't do on your own, and the first thing they will ask is if you have class notes or remember the lecture).

Plus, you might find that some of your professors actually host rather enjoyable lectures.

Last edited:
It's a "two-way street." Students don't show up, why should faculty bother to make an effort? You're there to learn --- some of them are there to teach --- give them a chance.

Always go to the lectures. I know boring,boring, boring BUT YOU ARE GOING TO SCHOOL, remember? To learn presumably, remember? You also happen to be paying for it so why not get your moneys worth? If on the other hand, you can challenge the class in question and still get the credits for it. then go for it. Highly dangerous move by the way.

I think Jack476 is spot on.

jack476 said:
Well, I can't say I recommend that. But if it works for you then that's what matters.

Personally, I would just suck it up and go to keep up appearances with your professors. It's only 45 minutes, and you're paying for it, it works out to something like $50-$100 an hour if you ever do the math. Even though attendance might not be graded in the syllabus, it's going to matter if you ever need those professors on your good side: if you want recommendations, or if you want an 89 B+ bumped up to a 90 A-, or if you ever need help on something (sooner or later, there will be something you can't do on your own, and the first thing they will ask is if you have class notes or remember the lecture).

Plus, you might find that some of your professors actually host rather enjoyable lectures.

1. Is attending lectures and tutorials beneficial for engineering students?

Yes, attending lectures and tutorials is highly beneficial for engineering students. These sessions provide students with a deeper understanding of the course material, help clarify any doubts or misconceptions, and allow for interactive learning experiences. Additionally, lectures and tutorials often cover important topics that might not be included in the course readings or textbooks.

2. Can I skip lectures and tutorials if I study the course material on my own?

While self-study is important for academic success, it is not a substitute for attending lectures and tutorials. These sessions offer a structured learning environment and allow for real-time discussions and feedback from professors and peers. Skipping lectures and tutorials may result in missing out on important information and may also impact your grades.

3. How can attending lectures and tutorials help me in my engineering career?

Attending lectures and tutorials not only helps in understanding the course material, but it also prepares students for their future engineering careers. These sessions provide opportunities for students to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills, which are essential in the engineering field. Additionally, attending lectures and tutorials allows students to network with professors and peers, which can be beneficial for future career opportunities.

4. Are lectures and tutorials the same thing?

No, lectures and tutorials are not the same thing. Lectures are usually delivered by professors, where they present the course material and provide explanations and examples. Tutorials, on the other hand, are smaller group sessions where students can apply the concepts learned in lectures through hands-on activities, discussions, and problem-solving exercises. Both are important for a comprehensive understanding of the subject.

5. Are lectures and tutorials mandatory?

The attendance policy for lectures and tutorials may vary depending on the university or professor. However, it is highly recommended that students attend these sessions regularly to get the most out of their education. Additionally, some professors may take attendance or provide participation grades, which can impact a student's overall grade in the course. It is best to check with your specific professor or university for their attendance policy.