Is Jupiter too big to orbit the Sun?

In summary, the conversation discusses the size of Jupiter and its orbit around the sun. It is mentioned that any two objects orbit their common center of mass, and for the Jupiter-Sun system, this is a point just outside the sun. It is also noted that a spacecraft named Juno is currently orbiting Jupiter.
Oganesson
I read the Jupiter is so big that it doesn't really orbit the sun. Is that true?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Tell that to Juno

DrSteve said:
Tell that to Juno
I'm a mere human with a small yamada how am I supposed to do that?

Likes russ_watters
Oganesson said:
I'm a mere human with a small yamada how am I supposed to do that?
Juno the spacecraft in orbit around Jupiter.

1. Is Jupiter's size the main factor in its ability to orbit the Sun?

No, Jupiter's size is not the main factor in its ability to orbit the Sun. Other factors such as its distance from the Sun, its orbital speed, and the gravitational pull of the Sun and other planets all play a role in its orbit.

2. How does Jupiter's size compare to the Sun's?

Jupiter is significantly smaller than the Sun, with a diameter of approximately 139,822 kilometers compared to the Sun's diameter of 1,391,684 kilometers.

3. Can Jupiter's large size affect the orbits of other planets?

Yes, Jupiter's large size and strong gravitational pull do have an impact on the orbits of other planets in the solar system. This is known as the "Jupiter effect" or "Jupiter's influence".

4. Would Jupiter's orbit be affected if it were closer to the Sun?

Yes, if Jupiter were closer to the Sun, its orbit would be affected. It would likely have a shorter orbital period and a faster orbital speed due to the stronger gravitational pull of the Sun.

5. Is Jupiter the only planet in the solar system that is too big to orbit the Sun?

No, there are other planets in the solar system that are larger than Jupiter, such as Saturn and Neptune. However, all of the planets in our solar system can orbit the Sun due to a delicate balance of factors such as their size, distance, and speed.