Is Khan Academy the Best Resource for Relearning Math from Scratch?

In summary: It's an online course, so it's accessible at any time. It teaches basic algebra, geometry, and calculus in a logical way, without resorting to rote memorization.In summary, would recommend getting a calculus book and starting with elementary arithmetic before progressing to more traditional approaches.
bobbdobbs
So a few years after school, I managed to forget most of what I learned in math class. I'm planning on reteaching myself from elementary arithmetic to calculus. I'm requesting a sequence of books to get me there. Looking for something rigorous, that actually explains why algorithms work, etc. Something that won't bore me when it comes to the basics. Should I learn set theory to start off with, or just go with the more traditional approach?

Also, apologies for not posting in the learning materials forum, PF won't let me for some reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend getting a calculus book. The one calculus book that I use for calculus covers Calculus 1, Calculus 2, and multivariable calculus all in one book. Most calculus books have a couple chapters in the back of the book, or the very first couple, that review basic arithmetic for those who haven't studied math in a while. If you learned the material already at one point in your life, you will most likely be bored with books that attempt to teach these topics as if they are presented to you for the very first time.

Last edited:
Why would you fail to mention the title and author of this wonderful book?

RGV

bobbdobbs said:
So a few years after school, I managed to forget most of what I learned in math class. I'm planning on reteaching myself from elementary arithmetic to calculus. I'm requesting a sequence of books to get me there. Looking for something rigorous, that actually explains why algorithms work, etc. Something that won't bore me when it comes to the basics. Should I learn set theory to start off with, or just go with the more traditional approach?
How would you describe your current math skills? I find it hard to believe you need to reteach yourself something like elementary arithmetic.

How would you describe your current math skills? I find it hard to believe you need to reteach yourself something like elementary arithmetic.

As far as basic math goes, I could do with a quick refresher. Some things I have forgotten, like some of the operations with fractions, but nothing that couldn't be recovered in about a week.

However, most of the books I was taught with taught by rote memorization of arithmetic algorithms without a deeper understanding of why those algorithms work, which probably explains why I forgot them in the first place. Same goes for early algebra.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to start by approaching mathematics as a logical framework, rather than simply a mechanical method for manipulating numbers.

I could probably wrap my head around elementary set theory and mathematical logic, so I'm wondering if there are any textbooks that teach from that perspective.

I have a set of notes which are posted here on this forum which starts off with basic properties of integer numbers and then derives the proper addition rule for fractions later on. It uses letters as representation of numbers straight away though.

1. How can I effectively learn math from scratch?

To effectively learn math from scratch, it is important to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. Practice regularly, seek help from a tutor or teacher, and use online resources such as instructional videos and interactive games. It is also helpful to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts and to review and practice regularly.

2. What are some common misconceptions about learning math from scratch?

One common misconception is that some people are just naturally good at math while others are not. In reality, anyone can learn and excel at math with enough practice and effort. Another misconception is that math is only useful for certain careers or fields, when in fact, it is a fundamental skill that can be applied to many aspects of daily life.

3. What are some effective study strategies for learning math from scratch?

Some effective study strategies for learning math from scratch include breaking down complex problems into smaller steps, practicing regularly, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, and using visual aids and interactive resources. It is also helpful to review and practice regularly, and to try to apply math concepts to real-life situations.

4. How can I overcome math anxiety when learning math from scratch?

To overcome math anxiety, it is important to understand that making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process and to not be too hard on yourself. Take breaks when needed and approach difficult concepts with a positive attitude. It can also be helpful to seek support from a tutor or teacher and to practice regularly.

5. Is it possible to learn math from scratch as an adult?

Yes, it is absolutely possible to learn math from scratch as an adult. In fact, many adults find that they have a better understanding and appreciation for math when they approach it with a growth mindset and a willingness to learn. With dedication and practice, anyone can improve their math skills at any age.