Starting from Scratch and learning Advanced Math

In summary, if someone wanted to learn maths to a high level starting basically from scratch (knowing little more than basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division), it is generally recommended that they learn these concepts in the following order: Calculus and Linear Algebra, followed by Basic Maths for Dummies.
Information Overload
If someone wanted to learn maths to a high level starting basically from scratch (knowing little more than basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) which order would you recommend that they learn things in? Is there a generally accepted/recommended order?

I'm interested in learning more about maths but I haven't really done much since school (a long time ago) and I've forgotten most of that. I'm hoping that at least some of it will come back to me as I go along. I have tried a couple of times to learn by myself in the past but, without a plan, I tend to fall off the wagon pretty quickly which is a shame because I really would love to learn more.

Also, can anyone recommend any good materials for self teaching maths? Classes aren't an option for me right now, so I'll have to rely on books or YouTube. I have a couple of math books (things like 'Basic Maths for Dummies') and I'm aware of the Khan Academy but are there any others that are worth a look?

Physics news on Phys.org
Information Overload said:
If someone wanted to learn maths to a high level starting basically from scratch (knowing little more than basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) which order would you recommend that they learn things in? Is there a generally accepted/recommended order?
Of course there is a "natural" order given by the order it is learned at school and then college. Here it starts (after school) with Calculus and Linear Algebra as basic tools. The crucial point is that mathematics at school hasn't a lot to do with mathematics itself. School math is more or less a description of how to do calculations rather than to bother about the fundamental concepts underneath this surface.
I'm interested in learning more about maths but I haven't really done much since school (a long time ago) and I've forgotten most of that. I'm hoping that at least some of it will come back to me as I go along. I have tried a couple of times to learn by myself in the past but, without a plan, I tend to fall off the wagon pretty quickly which is a shame because I really would love to learn more.
In my opinion you should first ask yourself where you intend to end up. Which questions do you want to be answered? Do you want to learn math as a tool for physics, e.g., or as a science of its own? Are there any specifics that drives your motivation? The answer you'll have to these questions are suited to get a better and more specific advise. Plus a better path towards these goals.
Also, can anyone recommend any good materials for self teaching maths? Classes aren't an option for me right now, so I'll have to rely on books or YouTube. I have a couple of math books (things like 'Basic Maths for Dummies') and I'm aware of the Khan Academy but are there any others that are worth a look?
I'll leave this point to more qualified (and native speakers) than me.

fresh_42 said:
In my opinion you should first ask yourself where you intend to end up. Which questions do you want to be answered? Do you want to learn math as a tool for physics, e.g., or as a science of its own? Are there any specifics that drives your motivation? The answer you'll have to these questions are suited to get a better and more specific advise. Plus a better path towards these goals.
I haven't really thought that far ahead yet. I don't know enough about maths to say that any particular area interests me. I just want to get a general grounding in the subject and see where it takes me. I am interested in physics as well but I have the same problem there; I just don't know enough to say where I want to go with it, just that I'd like to find out more about what's out there. I also think that having a decent grounding in maths is a good idea before I try tackling physics. One thing at a time and all that. :)

That's probably not very helpful I know, but it's all I have at the moment. I don't see myself ever having a career in a maths or science related field, so I guess you could say that this is going to be a hobby for me but I take my hobbies seriously. I want to go as far as I can go and learn as much as I can learn.

Then start with a cheap paperback on linear algebra, e.g. https://www.amazon.com/dp/8184896336/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It will get you an impression on how mathematics is different from the version taught at school and simultaneously contains what will be needed as well in physics as in mathematics. It would be a first step. Alternatively or additionally choose a textbook on calculus I. This way you can also get an impression on how far spread the entire adventure can develop.

The UK school maths syllabus is covered online at Exam Solutions, if you Google for that.

It covers both GCSE and the more advanced A levels.

PeroK said:
The UK school maths syllabus is covered online at Exam Solutions, if you Google for that.

It covers both GCSE and the more advanced A levels.

Here's the link. It's a worth a look at least to establish what you know and where you are starting from.

http://www.examsolutions.net/

1. What does it mean to start from scratch and learn advanced math?

Starting from scratch and learning advanced math means starting with the basics and building a strong foundation in mathematical concepts before moving onto more complex and advanced topics.

2. Is it necessary to start from scratch in order to learn advanced math?

While it is not necessary to start from scratch, it is highly recommended in order to have a solid understanding of fundamental mathematical concepts before tackling more advanced topics. This will make it easier to grasp and apply advanced concepts.

3. How long does it take to start from scratch and learn advanced math?

The time it takes to start from scratch and learn advanced math varies depending on the individual's learning pace and dedication. It can take anywhere from a few months to a few years to build a strong foundation in math and move onto advanced topics.

4. What are some effective ways to start from scratch and learn advanced math?

Some effective ways to start from scratch and learn advanced math include taking introductory courses, working through textbooks and practice problems, seeking out online resources and tutorials, and seeking guidance from a tutor or mentor.

5. What are the benefits of starting from scratch and learning advanced math?

Starting from scratch and learning advanced math can lead to a deeper understanding and appreciation for math, improved problem-solving skills, and the ability to tackle more complex mathematical problems. It can also open up opportunities for higher education and careers in fields such as science, engineering, and finance.