Is life just a matter of physics and chemistry

In summary, the topic of free will and whether humans are merely chemical machines without souls has been brought up in a tutorial session. Experiments show that our decisions are made by unconscious activity in our brains, but for all practical purposes, we are assumed to have free will. The concept of free will serves a social purpose and is necessary for our legal systems to function. Ultimately, the discussion of free will falls into the realm of philosophy rather than science. The thread on this topic has been locked for moderation as it is against the rules of the forum to discuss non-scientific topics.
John Pang
Recently, in a tutorial session, my professor raises this question.
Experiments show that humans don't have free will. Decisions are made by us through unconscious activity of our brain. We are just conscious about the decisions our brain make. We are not actually controlling ourselves.
I feel really uncomfortable about this. What are your opinions over this topic? Are we humans merely chemical machines without souls?

Biology news on Phys.org
jerromyjon said:
There was another thread on this topic recently:https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-life-a-matter-of-evolving-chemistry.849997/
Which was locked for moderation and there it remains. Be careful not to lead into philosophy! Due to the non-scientific nature, PF rules does not allow discussion of topics which do not have scientific merit.

Good find, Jerro!

John Pang said:
Experiments show that humans don't have free will. Decisions are made by us through unconscious activity of our brain. We are just conscious about the decisions our brain make. We are not actually controlling ourselves.
I feel really uncomfortable about this. What are your opinions over this topic? Are we humans merely chemical machines without souls?

Here's the bottom line on this subject: for all practical purposes, YOU are making all the decisions in your life of your own free will. Now, you might say, what if I'm under the influence of phenobarbital or alcohol or hypnotic suggestion, etc., etc.,? I don't know, you tell me. Are there parallel universes rubbing their ass against our galaxies and posing as "Dark matter" and making us wonder if WIMPS exist while all the time it's just some big multiverse sham?

Whether or not we as humans have a genuine sense of "free will" is immaterial. The concept of free will is built into our psyche because it serves a social purpose. That social purpose is designed to compel the individual human to express an opinion as to some issue in the social discourse so as to create a chaotic condition whereby a consensus could lead to some stable limit cycle attractor which manifests as a sitting president, everybody waking up in the morning and going to work and tuning into the "Bachelor" at 7pm sharp. That's how it works.

So the issue as to whether we truly have free will or not is not really important nor relevant. Again, for all practical purposes we are assumed to and DO have free will. Most of the common law courts around the world assume this. If we were to eschew or question this, the legal systems would not be able to operate, and this would be a bad thing. My personal opinion is that it will be impossible to prove that we don't have free will as much as it will be impossible to prove that Jesus isn't the son of God or that a parallel universe isn't sucking us over to a great attractor on the left side of the screen

We are what we are. If feeling special, spiritual or human is something you do, then that is something that is the nature of the chemical machine we are. Why isn't a 'mere chemical machine' not special enough?

We aren't some illusion in the mind of god. We are actual chemical machines that can do all that we can thanks to our machinery.Free will doesn't mean anything.

Your "professor"? That implies someone with a doctorial degree and that you are in college? Wow. I would hope that any such nonsence was from someone without much of a science background. As already said, this seems to be a question of philosophy rather than science / technology. First, please define the term "free will" clearly precisely and consistently. We can continue the discussion once you've done that. I won't hold my breath. To answer your question (operating under the assumption that you will be unable to clearly articulate any sensible objective definition of the term), there is *nothing* known to require "supernatural" influences to explain the physical world. Based on our inability to find any evidence which stands up to examination to support non-physical aspects of existence, I am quite confident to predict that we will *never* establish the existence of anything "supernatural" (God, our souls, etc.) . Is a sunset just the diffusion of light thru our planet's atmosphere?

jerromyjon said:
Which was locked for moderation and there it remains
We do not allow philosophical discussions such as these. This thread is closed.

1. What is the basis for the idea that life is just a matter of physics and chemistry?

The idea that life is solely determined by physics and chemistry comes from the belief that all living organisms, including humans, are made up of atoms and molecules that interact with each other according to the laws of physics and chemistry. This means that all biological processes, such as metabolism and reproduction, can be explained by chemical reactions and physical forces.

2. Can life be reduced to purely physical and chemical processes?

While it is true that all living organisms are made up of physical and chemical components, life is much more complex and cannot be fully reduced to these processes. There are certain aspects of life, such as consciousness and emotions, that cannot be explained by physics and chemistry alone. Additionally, the emergence of life from non-living matter is still a mystery and cannot be fully explained by these principles.

3. What role do genetics play in the concept that life is just a matter of physics and chemistry?

Genetics, which is the study of how traits are inherited from parents to offspring, is a fundamental part of the concept that life is determined by physics and chemistry. This is because genetic information is stored in the form of DNA, which is a molecule made up of chemical building blocks. The interactions between DNA and other molecules in the cell are governed by physical and chemical principles.

4. Is there any evidence to support the idea that life is just a matter of physics and chemistry?

Yes, there is a lot of evidence to support the idea that life is determined by physics and chemistry. Scientists have been able to explain many biological processes, such as photosynthesis and cellular respiration, using principles of physics and chemistry. Additionally, advancements in genetics and biochemistry have further solidified this concept.

5. Can the concept of life as just a matter of physics and chemistry be applied to all living organisms?

While the principles of physics and chemistry can be applied to most living organisms, there are some exceptions. For example, viruses can only replicate and carry out biological processes within a host cell, which challenges the idea that they are fully independent living organisms. Additionally, some organisms, such as extremophiles, have adapted to survive in extreme environments that would be deadly for most other forms of life, making them difficult to explain solely through the laws of physics and chemistry.