Is ln(x) differentiable at negative x-axis

In summary, the natural log function, ln(x), is only defined for positive values of x. Therefore, its derivative is also only defined for positive x. However, the function y = 1/x, which is equal to the derivative of ln(x), is defined for any x ≠ 0. This means that ln(x) is not differentiable for all x, as its domain is limited to positive values. In the complex field, ln(x) can be defined for negative values of x, but this is a different story.
Miraj Kayastha
Since lnx is defined for positive x only shouldn't the derivative of lnx be 1/x, where x is positive. My books does not specify that x must be positive, so is lnx differentiable for all x?

Physics news on Phys.org
Miraj Kayastha said:
Since lnx is defined for positive x only shouldn't the derivative of lnx be 1/x, where x is positive. My books does not specify that x must be positive, so is lnx differentiable for all x?
No. If a function isn't defined on some interval, its derivative isn't defined there, either. The real function ln(x) is defined only for x > 0, as you are aware, so the domain for the derivative is x > 0, as well.

As it turns out, the function y = 1/x is defined for any ##x \ne 0##, but the left-hand branch does not represent the derivative of the natural log function.

Miraj Kayastha said:
I assume you are referring to real numbers (you use "x" for the ind. variable and you say that lnx is defined for positive x only) because in the complex field it's all another story...

--
lightarrow

ln(x) can be defined for x < 0, using [itex]x=-xe^{\pi i}[/itex]. Therefore [itex]ln(x)=ln(-x)+\pi i[/itex].

In fact, [itex]\frac{d}{dx}ln(\lvert x \rvert)=\frac{1}{x} [/itex].

1. Is ln(x) continuous at negative x-axis?

Yes, ln(x) is continuous at negative x-axis. This means that the function has no breaks or jumps in its graph at any point on the negative x-axis.

2. What is the domain of ln(x)?

The domain of ln(x) is all positive real numbers, including 0. This means that the function is not defined for any negative values of x.

3. Is the derivative of ln(x) defined at negative x-axis?

No, the derivative of ln(x) is not defined at negative x-axis. This is because the function is not defined for any negative values of x, and the derivative requires the function to be defined at the point where it is being evaluated.

4. What is the limit of ln(x) as x approaches 0 from the negative side?

The limit of ln(x) as x approaches 0 from the negative side is undefined. This is because the function is not defined for any negative values of x, so it does not exist at x=0.

5. Can we extend the domain of ln(x) to include negative values of x?

No, we cannot extend the domain of ln(x) to include negative values of x. This is because ln(x) is a logarithmic function and the logarithm of a negative number is undefined.