Is Loop Quantum Multiverse a Viable Theory?

In summary, Bojowald suggests that a multiverse can arise in a different way than is usually suggested in the eternal inflation scenario. He has found a paper that suggests this mechanism may be able to give rise to a multiverse. Has anyone read this paper? Is this correct? Any thoughts?
skydivephil
Some time ago I was doing my dissertation on inflation and wrote to Martin Bojowald to ask if loop quantum cosmology was compatible with eternal inflation or not. He said at the time that no work had been done on the subject but it might be something to look at in the future.
I have now found a paper entitled "Loop quantum multiverse?" he gave a seminar on it a few days ago, but it seems that paper went to the arxiv a few months ago:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1212.5150v1.pdf

i think he is suggesting a multiverse might arise in a rather different way than is usually suggested in the eternal inflation scenario. Has anyone read this paper? Is this correct? Any thoughts?

Space news on Phys.org
You are probably posting in the wrong forum. I was told here that "We strive to teach mainstream physics, not develop new ideas"

Thank God all the greats, like Einstein and Newton didn't do this... (where is the sarcastic emoticon?)

Actually I found the article fascinating. It does seem to suggest that the bounce mechanism can give rise to a multiverse scenario. My understanding of LQG is to poor to truly understand the details of the mechanism.

micky_gta said:
You are probably posting in the wrong forum. I was told here that "We strive to teach mainstream physics, not develop new ideas"

LQC is mainstream. Check this listing of quantum cosmology research since 2009
http://inspirehep.net/search?ln=en&...2y=2013&sf=&so=a&rm=citation&rg=50&sc=0&of=hb
It is ordered by number of cites, so the first 100 papers are the most-cited among the roughly 500 listed.
The majority of these most-cited QC papers are LQC.

Springer Press publishes a series of very mainstream handbooks they sell to university libraries. This year Springer will bring out one called the Handbook of Spacetime. The editor and some of the chapters' authors would be people you'd see in that listing of highly cited QC papers. Google "Springer handbook of spacetime" with the quotes---should get over 60 hits some of which will give an idea of the people asked to contribute chapters.

One can't expect mainstream to be monolithic though. Not all the LQC folks would want to sign on to a paper like the one Bojowald just posted. That's no reason to say Bojowald is not mainstream however.

Last edited:
First off i think this is the correct place to post the paper for discussion. Bojowald is a well respected theorist who publishes in mainstream journals (Nature, Physical review etc). I'm sure physics forums discourages wacky ideas from outsiders that seek to bypass scientific review. That's not the same as discouraging all new ideas.

Marcus I know you are not a fan of the multiverse,so that Is why I would love your feedback on this paper. Always go to the biggest skeptic to review a new idea.
As I understand the proposed mechanism here it is different to eternal inflation. What I think is that Bojowald is proposing is that when a universe collapses it doesn't just form one ultra dense region but several disconnected regions that then bounce. I think he is thus claiming a multiverse can form even if the eternal inflation mechanism turns out to be false. Have I understood this correctly?
What problems do you see with this paper?

That was the same conclusion I had reached on the mechanism. I don't necessarily buy any of the current multiverse theories. Including Chaotic eternal inflations bubble univeses. However I don't deny the possibility of a multi-verse. The problem I have with multi-verse theories is the mechanisms that are often used. However multiverse theories are popular among many of the biggest names in cosmology. So it would be easy to consider multiverse as a possibility to be a mainstay science.

1. What is the loop quantum multiverse theory?

The loop quantum multiverse theory is a scientific hypothesis that suggests the existence of multiple universes, or a multiverse, that are created through quantum fluctuations in the fabric of space and time. This theory is based on the principles of loop quantum gravity, which combines the theories of quantum mechanics and general relativity.

2. How does the loop quantum multiverse theory differ from other multiverse theories?

The loop quantum multiverse theory differs from other multiverse theories in that it is based on the principles of loop quantum gravity, which provides a different way of understanding the structure of space and time. It also suggests that the universes in the multiverse are connected through tiny quantum loops, rather than being completely separate entities.

3. Can the loop quantum multiverse theory be tested or proven?

At this point, the loop quantum multiverse theory is still a hypothesis and has not been proven or tested. However, scientists are currently working on ways to test this theory using advanced technology and mathematical models.

4. What implications does the loop quantum multiverse theory have for our understanding of the universe?

The loop quantum multiverse theory has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. If proven to be true, it would suggest that our universe is just one of many, and that there are potentially infinite other universes with different physical laws and properties. This could change our perspective on the origins and nature of our own universe.

5. Is the loop quantum multiverse theory widely accepted by the scientific community?

The loop quantum multiverse theory is still a controversial topic in the scientific community, and there is currently no consensus on its validity. While some scientists find the theory intriguing and believe it has potential, others criticize its lack of empirical evidence and argue that it goes beyond the boundaries of current scientific understanding.