Is Mandatory Frequent Password Changing at Universities Effective or Overkill?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, California State University - Fresnos' IT department requires that users change their passwords every 3 months, and insists that users use a new password every time it is checked against a previous set of passwords. This creates a problem for users who have to remember multiple passwords, as they are not allowed to use the same password for more than 4 years. Additionally, the IT department's password checker is not very effective, as it can only detect passwords that are very similar to those previously stored.
Our IT requires those sorts of frequent password changes too. I also do as Ivan suggests, and just keep changing a number in the password sequentially, except on the account that only uses a 6 character password...EXACTLY. That one is annoying...not 6 to 8, not at least 6, but exactly 6. I'm starting to run out of ideas for that one.

I like CSFITSUCKS! as a password though...I may need to adapt that one locally on the account that I always have to call for password resets on. :biggrin: As if the IT people don't hate me enough already. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
When I worked at Brooks College we had to change our passwords every few months too. Fortunately the IT department never wanted to have to deal with anything that they had not decided to do themselves so they made it easy on us and we could switch back and forth between two passwords.

MotoH said:
I like the idea of a small RFID device implanted in the hand, which will allow you to log onto the companies computers. Each one has its own profile, and the IT people can set it up as to what your access is.
It would have to be a device instead of just a tag. The code would likely need to be changed frequently unless they have figured out a way to keep third parties from scanning tags.