Do I need to learn more math as a physics autodidact?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Ahmed1029
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, from now on, you should focus on mastering physics and only learn math when you need to. Specialized math textbooks may be helpful for specific topics, but they are not always applicable to physics.
Ahmed1029
I managed to master the single variable, multivariable, and vector calculus, linear algebra, and some ordinary differential equations. After that, I studied advanced advanced introductions to classical mechanics and electrodynamics. I'm currently studying waves and oscillations and don't intend to stop somewhere. My question then is whether from now I should only study the physics textbooks and learn the math I need through physics, or learn math from specialized math textbooks.
Is the answer the same for both undergraduate and graduate level books?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahmed1029 said:
My question then is whether from now I should only study the physics textbooks and learn the math I need through physics,
In general, now you have all the basics, this is probably the better approach.
Ahmed1029 said:
or learn math from specialized math textbooks.
Only now and again if it's something you need to nail down thoroughly. Note, however, that it's often difficult to relate the material in specialized maths books (e.g. Lie Groups and Lie Algebras) to the application of that mathematics to physics.

Likes Ahmed1029
Ahmed1029 said:
I managed to master the single variable, multivariable, and vector calculus, linear algebra, and some ordinary differential equations. After that, I studied advanced advanced introductions to classical mechanics and electrodynamics. I'm currently studying waves and oscillations and don't intend to stop somewhere. My question then is whether from now I should only study the physics textbooks and learn the math I need through physics, or learn math from specialized math textbooks.
Is the answer the same for both undergraduate and graduate level books?
If your primary interest is physics, then you should view math as a tool for physics. Learn the math you need from physics books, supplemented by books geared towards "math for physicists (scientists, engineers)" rather than books geared towards math for mathematicians. This holds for undergrad and grad.

Likes phinds and Ahmed1029
Thank you guys your answers are such a relief!

Likes berkeman

1. Do I need to have a strong foundation in math to learn physics on my own?

Yes, having a strong foundation in math is crucial for understanding physics. Physics is heavily based on mathematical concepts and equations, so having a good grasp of math will make it easier to understand and apply these concepts.

2. What specific areas of math should I focus on as a physics autodidact?

As a physics autodidact, it is important to have a strong understanding of algebra, calculus, and trigonometry. These are the fundamental mathematical concepts used in physics and will be necessary for solving equations and understanding concepts.

3. Can I learn physics without being proficient in advanced math topics?

While having a strong foundation in advanced math topics such as differential equations and linear algebra can be beneficial, it is not necessary to learn physics. As long as you have a good understanding of the fundamental math concepts, you can still learn and understand physics.

4. How can I improve my math skills as a physics autodidact?

One way to improve your math skills is to practice regularly. You can also find online resources, such as tutorials and practice problems, to help you strengthen your math skills. Additionally, seeking out a tutor or joining a study group can also be helpful.

5. Is it possible to learn physics on my own without any formal education in math?

While it may be more challenging, it is possible to learn physics on your own without any formal education in math. With dedication and persistence, you can still grasp the fundamental math concepts and apply them to understand physics. However, it may be beneficial to seek out additional resources and support to help you along the way.