Is meat broth really nutritious?

• Thread starter PainterGuy
  • Start date
In summary, meat broth is often recommended as a soft and nutritious meal for those who have had surgery or are sick. However, the boiling process does extract some nutrients from the meat, but it also helps sanitize and improve the taste of the food. Boiling vegetables before cooking them in oil may not have a significant impact on nutrient content, but it is more about the texture of the food. To determine the transfer of nutrients from meat to broth, qualitative and quantitative inquiries should be made.
PainterGuy
Hi,

Could you please help me with the queries below?

Q1:
It's said that meat broth is really nutritious. Does the boiling process extract the nutrients from the meat? If it does, I'd say that the boiling process cannot still extract all the nutrients from the meat.

Q2:
Assuming the answer to my query above is 'yes'. I've seen many people boil vegetables, beans, etc., before properly preparing them using oil. If the boiling process can really extract the nutrients then boiling the vegetables etc., before cooking them in oil is a really bad idea. What do you say on this?

Biology news on Phys.org
PainterGuy said:
It's said that meat broth is really nutritious. Does the boiling process extract the nutrients from the meat?
Cooking food of any type tends to break down some portion of the nutrients in it. But it also helps sanitize the food and to make it easier to chew and digest along with improving taste and making it so that different types of food can be combined together and come out tasty.
PainterGuy said:
If it does, I'd say that the boiling process cannot still extract all the nutrients from the meat.
No, proper preparation of food typically leaves plenty of nutrients intact.

PainterGuy said:
If the boiling process can really extract the nutrients then boiling the vegetables etc., before cooking them in oil is a really bad idea. What do you say on this?
I'd say not to worry about it. If you're healthy, the small loss of nutrients from cooking is not harmful as long as you're eating a balanced diet.

Likes russ_watters, pinball1970, BillTre and 1 other person
Thank you!

I think that I didn't state it clearly.

I wanted to say that if you stew/boil meat and then drink that liquid (without any meat), is that liquid going to contain as many nutrients as there are in 'solid' meat? Personally, I don't think so.

PainterGuy said:
I wanted to say that if you stew/boil meat and then drink that liquid (without any meat), is that liquid going to contain as many nutrients as there are in 'solid' meat? Personally, I don't think so.
I don't think so either.

Likes PainterGuy
PainterGuy said:
Thank you!

I think that I didn't state it clearly.

Opinions are opinions.

You should be asking "What is it that could be transferred from the meat to the liquid when stewing or boiling?"
You would end up with a qualitative answer.

Next would be to ask " How much of each constituent is in the water?"

And how does this relate to the amount in the meat - you would have to base that upon some measurable system - ie per mass, per volume, per serving, per calorie consumed, per price/cost, ...

Likes Lnewqban and PainterGuy
PainterGuy said:
It's said that meat broth is really nutritious.
As far as I know, it is not.

It's often used/recommended as soft/starting meal after surgery, serious sickness, gut upset or such and it's recommended due being 'nutritious': but in fact what matters is that it's easy to digest, rehydrating due the high water content and it's kind of naturally isotonic (well: close enough).

But if you need nutrients for a whole day physical activity, workout or such, you should pick a stew in which you can stick a spoon straight. That is nutritious o0)

SC-Erwtensoep-HERO.jpg

PainterGuy said:
I've seen many people boil vegetables, beans, etc., before properly preparing them using oil. If the boiling process can really extract the nutrients then boiling the vegetables etc., before cooking them in oil is a really bad idea. What do you say on this?
Making a decent meat broth takes hours. A few minute/second boiling won't affect nutrient content too much: it's about the texture of the food.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban, PainterGuy, russ_watters and 1 other person
Rive said:
As far as I know, it is not.

It's often used/recommended as soft/starting meal after surgery, serious sickness, gut upset or such and it's recommended due being 'nutritious': but in fact what matters is that it's easy to digest, rehydrating due the high water content and it's kind of naturally isotonic (well: close enough).

But if you need nutrients for a whole day physical activity, workout or such, you should pick a stew in which you can stick a spoon straight. That is nutritious o0)

View attachment 317585Making a decent meat broth takes hours. A few minute/second boiling won't affect nutrient content too much: it's about the texture of the food.
That looks great

Its 13.24pm here and I have not had lunch yet…

• Haha
Likes russ_watters and Rive
I tried the spoon test with a tin kindly donated by one of my colleagues. The brand is high end. It does not look as chunky in the bowl as the image on the tin.

I added spinach and pepper, increase viscosity, confidence high.

IMG_20221123_143912.jpg

Close enough.

IMG_20221123_143921.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Astronuc, PainterGuy, Drakkith and 1 other person
256bits said:
Opinions are opinions.

You should be asking "What is it that could be transferred from the meat to the liquid when stewing or boiling?"
You would end up with a qualitative answer.

Next would be to ask " How much of each constituent is in the water?"

And how does this relate to the amount in the meat - you would have to base that upon some measurable system - ie per mass, per volume, per serving, per calorie consumed, per price/cost, ...

Thank you!

I agree that that would be the right way to do a scientific inquiry. When I asked the question, I was just thinking about it and needed some opinions. On the other hand, I don't think I would have been able to frame my query so nicely the way you did. Thanks!

Likes 256bits
Rive said:
It's often used/recommended as soft/starting meal after surgery, serious sickness, gut upset or such and it's recommended due being 'nutritious'

That's exactly what I had in mind. Mostly when someone has surgery or get sick, that person is mostly given meat broth so I was under the impression that it should be really nutritious.

This is not as straightforward a question as it looks at first blush.

While food preparation often destroys or decreases the concentration of some nutrients compared to raw ingredients (e.g., vitamin C exposed to high heat), it increases the bioavailability of other nutrients (e.g., heat breaks down starches into smaller poly- and mono-saccharides, also nixtamalization greatly increases bioavailability of vitamin B3 in corn over unprocessed corn).

As for meat broth specifically, it’s certainly easier to access nutrients that have been leached from bones or gristle using boiling water than by gnawing on the bones directly. So you probably get nutrients from broth that you wouldn’t get from eating the meat directly. But if you boil meat in water and then throw out the meat, you obviously lose a large amount of proteins and fats. So the answer to your question is probably yes and no.

Likes PainterGuy and Lnewqban
Let's start from the top. This is the legal and scientific US data for nutrition labels. Example: To see what happens to raw versus cooked carrots look here:
https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/
Or almost any other food is in here...

1. cooking vegetables changes many ,but not all, nutrients.

Example: Vitamin C (ascorbates) can be removed/reduced either by heat or boiling for more than a few minutes. Boiled kale (a leafy green) has 17.mg of Vitamin C per 100g of kale. Much less than raw kale: which is 94mg/100g

Example: Vitamin A levels in carrots (as beta carotene) is not decreased very much and bioavailability is greatly increased from cooking
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14673607/

2. cooking foods kills parasites, bacteria

3. Humans evolved to eat cooked foods,
Example: biochemistry: browning of foods:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction - humans can detect very low quantities of the output of the browning reaction. Smells very good!

4. Due to the increased digestibility of most cooked foods, the energy budget for digestion of these foods is a big win over digesting raw.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/14/world/earliest-evidence-of-cooking-with-fire-scn/index.html
780kya

Bottom line - nutrient values of cooked foods versus uncooked foods is not remotely simple.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes PainterGuy, Lnewqban, pinball1970 and 6 others
TeethWhitener said:
This is not as straightforward a question as it looks at first blush.

While food preparation often destroys or decreases the concentration of some nutrients compared to raw ingredients (e.g., vitamin C exposed to high heat), it increases the bioavailability of other nutrients (e.g., heat breaks down starches into smaller poly- and mono-saccharides, also nixtamalization greatly increases bioavailability of vitamin B3 in corn over unprocessed corn).

As for meat broth specifically, it’s certainly easier to access nutrients that have been leached from bones or gristle using boiling water than by gnawing on the bones directly. So you probably get nutrients from broth that you wouldn’t get from eating the meat directly. But if you boil meat in water and then throw out the meat, you obviously lose a large amount of proteins and fats. So the answer to your question is probably yes and no.

Thanks a lot! I find your post very helpful.

jim mcnamara said:
Let's start from the top. This is the legal and scientific US data for nutrition labels. Example: To see what happens to raw versus cooked carrots look here:
https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/
Or almost any other food is in here...

1. cooking vegetables changes many ,but not all, nutrients.

Example: Vitamin C (ascorbates) can be removed/reduced either by heat or boiling for more than a few minutes. Boiled kale (a leafy green) has 17.mg of Vitamin C per 100g of kale. Much less than raw kale: which is 94mg/100g

Example: Vitamin A levels in carrots (as beta carotene) is not decreased very much and bioavailability is greatly increased from cooking
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14673607/

2. cooking foods kills parasites, bacteria

3. Humans evolved to eat cooked foods,
Example: biochemistry: browning of foods:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction - humans can detect very low quantities of the output of the browning reaction. Smells very good!

4. Due to the increased digestibility of most cooked foods, the energy budget for digestion of these foods is a big win over digesting raw.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/14/world/earliest-evidence-of-cooking-with-fire-scn/index.html
780kya

Bottom line - nutrient values of cooked foods versus uncooked foods is not remotely simple.

Thank you very much! All those links and data are really helpful.

1. Is meat broth a good source of protein?

Yes, meat broth is a good source of protein. It contains amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein, and can help with muscle growth and repair.

2. Are there any other nutrients in meat broth besides protein?

Yes, meat broth also contains essential vitamins and minerals, such as iron, zinc, and B vitamins. These nutrients are important for maintaining a healthy immune system and metabolism.

3. Is meat broth healthier than vegetable broth?

It depends on your dietary needs. Meat broth tends to be higher in protein, while vegetable broth is lower in calories and fat. Both can be nutritious options, but it's important to consider your individual nutritional needs.

4. Can meat broth help with digestion?

Yes, meat broth contains gelatin, which is known to improve digestion and gut health. It also contains collagen, which can help with joint and bone health.

5. Is homemade meat broth healthier than store-bought?

It can be. Homemade meat broth allows you to control the ingredients and cooking process, which can result in a more nutritious broth. However, store-bought broth can still be a healthy option, as long as it is low in sodium and does not contain any unhealthy additives.