Is Mechanics in Physics Tougher Than in Mechanical Engineering or Mechatronics?

In summary: Some may find the practical applications in Mechatronics and Mechanical engineering easier to grasp, while others may find the theoretical concepts in Physics Mechanics more challenging. Ultimately, the difficulty level of mechanics in these fields is subjective and can vary depending on the individual.
Gogsey
I currently taking a mechanics course from the physics department at my university, and was wondering what is the difference between physics mechanics and Mechanical/Mechatronics/Robotics/Machine mechanics? Is there much if any difference?

I looking into mechatronics engineering probably at Waterloo, but I'm worried about the type of mechanics.

In the course I have right now were looking at, Newtonian mechanics, Linear momentum, Rocket motion, Energy.

But I have trouble with centre of mass, Moment of Inertia, and angular momentum. This is uasually done at the single or many particle level. The general idea is not to difficult, but in other coordinate systems I get quite confused. I know how to start the problem but have trouble solving it.

I was kind of hoping Mechatronics and Mechanical engineering would not have these areas, as my buddy who is in 3rd year Mech Eng couldn't solve some of the problems I showed him because he'd never seen things like Cm and M of I and AM before.

I know in Mechatronics and Mech Eng they look at macroscopic stuff where as in physics they look more on the microscopic scale. Is any scale less hard? Is mechanics in physics tougher than Mech Eng/Mechatronics? Even though Mech Eng has a ton more mechanical courses, and mechatronics has probably more than pure physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
The difference between Physics Mechanics and Mechanical/Mechatronics/Robotics/Machine Mechanics is that the latter are more focused on practical applications of physical principles. Physics Mechanics tends to focus more on the theoretical aspects of mechanics, such as Newtonian mechanics, linear momentum, rocket motion, energy, centre of mass, moment of inertia, and angular momentum. Mechatronics and Mechanical engineering typically involve the design and analysis of complex machines and systems, while Physics Mechanics is more focused on the underlying physical principles that govern such systems. Although Mech Eng has many mechanical courses, they tend to be more applied in nature, while Physics Mechanics is more focused on theoretical concepts. In terms of difficulty, it really depends on the individual and their level of understanding of the material.

I would like to clarify that the field of mechanics is a fundamental area of study in both physics and engineering. However, there are some differences in the approach and focus of mechanics in these two disciplines.

In physics, mechanics refers to the study of motion and the forces that cause it, at a fundamental level. This includes concepts such as Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, and the behavior of particles and systems in different coordinate systems. The emphasis in physics mechanics is on understanding the underlying principles and laws that govern the behavior of physical systems.

On the other hand, mechanics in engineering, specifically in the fields of mechanical engineering and mechatronics, is more focused on the design and analysis of mechanical systems and components. This includes concepts such as statics, dynamics, and materials science, which are used to design and optimize machines, structures, and other mechanical devices. The emphasis in engineering mechanics is on practical applications and problem-solving, rather than fundamental principles.

In terms of difficulty, it is subjective and depends on the individual's strengths and interests. Some people may find physics mechanics more challenging due to its focus on theoretical concepts, while others may struggle with the practical applications and problem-solving aspects of engineering mechanics. Mechatronics, being a combination of mechanical and electronic systems, may have a slightly different approach to mechanics compared to pure mechanical engineering.

In summary, while there may be some overlap in the topics covered, the differences in approach and focus make physics mechanics and engineering mechanics distinct fields of study. It is important to have a strong understanding of both theoretical principles and practical applications in order to excel in either discipline.

Related to Is Mechanics in Physics Tougher Than in Mechanical Engineering or Mechatronics?

1. What is "Mechanics for Mechatronics"?

"Mechanics for Mechatronics" is a branch of engineering that combines principles of mechanics and electronics to design and develop mechanical systems that are controlled by electronics. It is an interdisciplinary field that focuses on the integration of mechanical components with electronic control systems to create efficient and intelligent machines.

2. What are the main principles of mechanics used in mechatronics?

The main principles of mechanics used in mechatronics include statics, dynamics, kinematics, and control systems. Statics is the study of forces acting on stationary objects, while dynamics focuses on the motion of objects under the influence of forces. Kinematics deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces causing the motion. Control systems involve the use of sensors, actuators, and feedback to control the motion and behavior of mechanical systems.

3. How is mechatronics different from traditional mechanical engineering?

Mechatronics differs from traditional mechanical engineering in that it combines mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering principles to design and develop complex systems. Traditional mechanical engineering primarily focuses on the design and analysis of mechanical components and systems.

4. What are some real-world applications of mechatronics?

Mechatronics has a wide range of applications in various industries, including manufacturing, transportation, healthcare, and defense. Some examples of real-world applications of mechatronics include industrial robots, medical devices, autonomous vehicles, and smart appliances.

5. What skills are required to become a successful mechatronics engineer?

To become a successful mechatronics engineer, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They should also have excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, as well as be proficient in mechanical design, electronics, and programming. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are essential for working on interdisciplinary projects in the field of mechatronics.