Is moment of inertia only for rotating objects?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences in restoring torque and angular frequency between two cases where a rod attached to a ceiling and a disc perform simple harmonic motion. In case (1), the disc cannot rotate and acts as a single rigid body, while in case (2), the disc can rotate about its center and can be treated as a point mass. The moment of inertia is only relevant for rotating objects, and the restoring torque is the same in both cases. However, the frequency is different due to the additional moment of inertia in case (2).
Titan97
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A rod attached to a ceiling at one end and a disc on the other end is performing SHM. In case (1) the disc cannot rotate. In case (2) the disc can rotate about its centre. Compare the restoring torque and angular frequency in both cases.

Homework Equations

$$T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{I}{MgL}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the restoring torques are same. But my friend says there will be hinge forces that will affect the restoring torque in case (2) because of rotation of disc which causes centripetal force on disc.

In the second question, again we got different answers. Using the formula specified above, the frequency will be different because of an additional moment of inertia in case (2). My friend told that even if the disc is not rotating in case (1), it's moment of inertia is still ##\frac{Mr^2}{2}##. So he says the the frequency is same.
I am confused now. Is moment of inertia only for rotating objects?

(Both my answers match with the given solution)

Physics news on Phys.org
Friend has things mixed up: in case (2) disk can rotate and if there is no friction at the axis of rotation, disk does not rotate (since there is nothing that can make it do so). It behaves as a weight concentrated at its center.
Titan97 said:
I think the restoring torques are same.
So do I. You probably even have an expression for it from which that can be seen.
Titan97 said:
Using the formula specified above, the frequency will be different because of an additional moment of inertia in case (2).
Difficult to stay consistent here, eh ? In case (1) the disk rotates. In case (2) it does not. See above. Anyway, friend is wrong.

Likes Titan97 and gracy
So moment of inertia is only for rotating objects? Also, can you elaborate on hinge forces that act when the disc rotates? The hinge force can have a component along the perpendicular to the rod which can exert torque.

upload_2016-2-29_19-27-7.png

Case (1) requires the disk to rotate: pins or glue at the red dots exercise torque.

In case (2) that is not so

upload_2016-2-29_19-26-31.png

And I don't know about hinge forces. What's that :smile: ?

Likes Titan97
The wording of the question is a little unfortunate. I assume case 1 means the disc cannot rotate relative to the rod, and therefore it does rotate relative to the rod's pivot.
I believe a hinge force refers to the radial force when an object rotates about a hinge, i.e. the tension providing the centripetal force. If so, it has no relevance to this question.

Likes CrazyNinja and Titan97
@haruspex won't the moment of inertia be same in both cases?

No. That's the whole point of the exercise !

@BvU those diagrams are clear. Nice job. In the second case, the disc is not rotating. But even if it does not raotate, the moment of inertia of a disc is ##\frac{mr^2}{2}##

Titan97 said:
@BvU those diagrams are clear. Nice job. In the second case, the disc is not rotating. But even if it does not raotate, the moment of inertia of a disc is ##\frac{mr^2}{2}##
Not sure what point you are making. Yes, that's the moment of inertia of a disk about its centre, but if it is not going to rotate about its centre it might as well be a point mass.

So moment of inertia of an object that does not rotate about any point is zero?

Titan97 said:
So moment of inertia of an object that does not rotate about any point is zero?
No, that's not what I wrote. The moment of inertia (about a given axis) is an intrinsic property, regardless of the state of motion, somewhat like mass. But it is not of interest in an arrangement in which it never actually rotates. In such an arrangement, it might as well be a point mass.

Likes Titan97
Titan97 said:

Homework Statement

A rod attached to a ceiling at one end and a disc on the other end is performing SHM. In case (1) the disc cannot rotate. In case (2) the disc can rotate about its centre. Compare the restoring torque and angular frequency in both cases.

Homework Equations

$$T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{I}{MgL}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the restoring torques are same. But my friend says there will be hinge forces that will affect the restoring torque in case (2) because of rotation of disc which causes centripetal force on disc.

In the second question, again we got different answers. Using the formula specified above, the frequency will be different because of an additional moment of inertia in case (2). My friend told that even if the disc is not rotating in case (1), it's moment of inertia is still ##\frac{Mr^2}{2}##. So he says the the frequency is same.
I am confused now. Is moment of inertia only for rotating objects?

(Both my answers match with the given solution)
Moment of Inertia is useful for analyzing the motion of a rigid body. All portions of a rigid body have a single uniform value for angular velocity at all times.

In case 1, you do have a single rigid body.

In case 2 you have two rigid bodies, one of which (the disc) does not rotate. The disc does indeed have a Moment of Inertia, but its rotational energy and angular momentum don't change. (As I read it they're both zero.) In the end the disc can be treated as a point mass as haruspex pointed out.

Likes Titan97

What is moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

Is moment of inertia only for rotating objects?

Yes, the moment of inertia is a property that only applies to objects that are rotating around an axis. It is not applicable to objects that are not rotating.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by integrating the mass of each particle in an object with respect to the distance from the axis of rotation.

Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is important because it plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of rotating objects. It helps in determining how much torque is needed to accelerate or decelerate a rotating object and how it will respond to external forces.

Does moment of inertia depend on the shape of an object?

Yes, the moment of inertia depends on the shape of an object. Objects with more mass located farther away from the axis of rotation have a larger moment of inertia compared to objects with the same mass but different shapes. This is because the mass distribution affects how the object resists changes in its rotational motion.