Is Mutation related to quantum jump?

In summary: Quantum mechanics can provide a very accurate description of the behavior of individual molecules, but it is not possible to make a principled transition from quantum mechanics to classical mechanics. In this paper, we show that this transition is not actually necessary, and that the behavior of individual molecules can be accurately described by a continuous quantum measurement. We show that the transition from quantum mechanics to classical mechanics is analogous to a quantum to classical transition in the presence of an observer. We also show that the observer can modify the classical behavior of the molecules.
tze liu
is Mutation /evolution as a result of quantum jump?
and is it possible that the collapse of the quantum state alters the nucleotide sequence of the genome of some creatures.

thank you ! <mentor moved the thread from Biology to Quantum Physics>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10400270 says that mutations can occur through changes in quantum state. I am not competent to evaluate this paper.
So, it is being moved to physics forum.

My limited take on it: I have no good way to know the rate of preserved mutations so caused. I think it would simply damage the DNA very likely causing apoptosis of the cell.

@mfb @vanhees71 Could you please comment on this paper? It seems a bit odd to me.

The paper seems odd to me as well.

For individual molecules, "quantum jump" is not a very useful concept. Once you treat it as quantum mechanical system there is no jump any more. Does quantum mechanics play a role? Yes of course, without quantum mechanics there wouldn't be molecules at all. Does that mean we should assign everything that happens to quantum mechanics? I'm not sure how useful that approach is. A lot of DNA damage has its origin in very classical things - atoms shooting through the DNA at high speed and similar.

Likes tze liu
It is much more likely that errors in DNA copying arise because of random interferance.
This could be due to radioactivity or toxic chemicals or other things.
I don't think quantum events can be very important, but they may play a part.

Likes tze liu
In the formalism of continuous measurement, both mutations and non-mutations can be thought of as arising from quantum jumps. This is because mutations and non-mutations are events in the classical world, which can be thought of as arising from quantum jumps. It is not correct to think that mutations arise from quantum jumps, and that non-mutations do not arise from quantum jumps.

https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0211036
Continuous Quantum Measurement and the Quantum to Classical Transition
Tanmoy Bhattacharya, Salman Habib, Kurt Jacobs

Likes tze liu and mfb

1. Is mutation a result of quantum jumps?

No, mutation is not directly related to quantum jumps. Mutation is a genetic process that results in changes to an individual's DNA, while quantum jumps are a phenomenon in quantum mechanics that describe the abrupt transition of a particle from one energy state to another.

2. Can quantum jumps cause mutations?

No, quantum jumps cannot cause mutations. Mutations occur due to external factors such as exposure to radiation or errors during DNA replication, while quantum jumps occur at the subatomic level and do not directly affect genetic material.

3. Are mutations a form of quantum jump?

No, mutations and quantum jumps are different processes and cannot be equated. As mentioned before, mutations are genetic changes while quantum jumps describe the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. Is there a connection between quantum jumps and genetic variation?

There is no direct connection between quantum jumps and genetic variation. Genetic variation is the result of various genetic processes such as mutations, genetic recombination, and natural selection, while quantum jumps are not involved in these processes.

5. Can quantum jumps explain the mechanism of evolution?

No, quantum jumps cannot fully explain the mechanism of evolution. Evolution is a complex process that involves multiple factors, including genetic variation, natural selection, and environmental influences. While quantum mechanics plays a role in the behavior of subatomic particles, it is not the sole factor in the process of evolution.