Is my proof correct for lim_(n-> infty) |z_n| = |z| ? Complex Analysis

In summary: Which shows that the sequence of norms converges to the norm of the limit of the sequence.In summary, the proof shows that if the sequence of complex numbers z_n converges to a complex number z, then the sequence of their norms also converges to the norm of z. This is demonstrated by using the triangle inequality and the convergence of the real and imaginary parts of the complex numbers.
laura_a
Is my proof correct for lim_(n-> infty) |z_n| = |z| ? Complex Analysis

Homework Statement

Show that if lim_{n-> infty} z_n = z

then

lim_{n-> infty} |z_n| = |z|

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this correct:

lim_{n-> infty} |z_n| = |z|

iff

Assume that the conditions hold;
lim_{n-> infty} |x_n| = |x| and lim_{n-> infty} |y_n| = |y|

According to these conditions there exist, for each positive number \epsilon, positive integers n_1 and n_2 such that:

||x_n| - |x|| < epsilon/2 whenever n > n_1

and

||y_n| - |y|| < epsilon/2 whenever n > n_2

Hence, if n_0 is the larger of the two integers n_1 and n_2

||x_n| - |x|| < epsilon/2 and ||y_n| - |y|| < epsilon/2 whenever n > n_0

Since

|(|x_n| + i|y_n|) - (|x| + i|y|) =
|(|x_n| - |x|) + i(|y_n|-|y|) <= ||x_n| - |x|| + ||y_n| - |y||

Then

||z_n| - |z|| < epislon/2 + epsilon/2 = epsilong whenver n > n_0

Thus it holds that

lim_(n-> infty) |z_n| = |z| because for every epsilon > 0 there exists N > 0 such that | |z_n| - |z|| < epsilon

I am using a proof from the textbook to draw this from so just wanted to check to see if I've left anything out and if it makes sence!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, being lazy, I'd be tempted to use the triangle inequality for complex numbers:
[tex]|z-z_n| \geq ||z|-|z_n||[/tex]
Then take the limit of both sides as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex]

What you seem to be doing is splitting the original convergence into the convergence of the real part, and the imaginary part, and then using those to show the convergence of the norm, which is also works. You could make it clearer by making that explicit:

Given [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there is [itex]N[/itex] so that [itex]n>N \Rightarrow |z-z_n| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}[/itex] from the hypothesis that [itex]z_n[/itex] converges to [itex]z[/itex].

Then we know that
[tex]|\rm{Real}(z)-\rm{Real}(z_n)|<\frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex]
and
[tex]|\rm{Imaginary}(z)-\rm{Imaginary}(z)|<\frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex]
and the triangle inequality gives:
[tex]||z|-|z_n|| \leq |\rm{Real}(z)-\rm{Real}(z_n)|+|\rm{Imaginary}(z)-\rm{Imaginary}(z_n)|< |\frac{\epsilon}{2}+\frac{\epsilon}{2}|=\epsilon[/tex]
so
[tex]n>N \Rightarrow ||z|-|z_n|| < \epsilon[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Is my proof correct for lim_(n-> infty) |z_n| = |z| ? Complex Analysis

1. What is the definition of a limit in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, the limit of a sequence of complex numbers is defined as the value that the sequence approaches as the index of the sequence approaches infinity. This means that for a given sequence of complex numbers {z_n}, the limit is a complex number z if for any positive real number ε, there exists a positive integer N such that for all n ≥ N, the distance between z_n and z is less than ε.

2. What does it mean for a limit to exist in complex analysis?

A limit exists in complex analysis if the sequence of complex numbers converges to a single point in the complex plane. This means that as the index of the sequence approaches infinity, the distance between each term in the sequence and the limit point becomes smaller and smaller, eventually reaching a value of 0.

3. How do I prove that lim_(n-> infty) |z_n| = |z| ?

To prove that the limit of |z_n| is equal to the absolute value of the limit of z, you will need to use the definition of a limit in complex analysis. This means showing that for any given positive real number ε, there exists a positive integer N such that for all n ≥ N, the distance between |z_n| and |z| is less than ε. This can typically be done by manipulating the terms in the sequence and using algebraic properties of complex numbers.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving this limit?

One common mistake to avoid is assuming that the limit of a sequence of complex numbers is equal to the limit of the absolute values of those numbers. This is not always true and must be proven. Another mistake to avoid is assuming that the limit of the absolute values of a sequence is equal to the absolute value of the limit of that sequence. This also must be proven and is not always true in complex analysis.

5. Are there any useful theorems or techniques that can help in proving this limit?

One useful theorem is the triangle inequality, which states that the absolute value of the sum of two complex numbers is less than or equal to the sum of the absolute values of those numbers. This can be helpful in manipulating terms in the sequence to prove the desired limit. Additionally, techniques such as using the squeeze theorem or proof by contradiction can also be useful in proving this limit.