Showing that the the closure of a closure is just closure

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    closure
In summary, the homework statement states that if there exists a sequence of points in a metric space such that for all, then the limit point of the sequence is also in the space.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let ##M## be a metric space. Prove that ##\overline{\overline{S}} = \overline{S}## for ##S\subseteq M##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First we know that ##\overline{S} \subseteq \overline{\overline{S}}## is true (just take this for granted, since I know how to do it and it's the other direction that I am interested in).

Second, we want to show that ##\overline{\overline{S}} \subseteq \overline{S}##. So let ##x## be a closure point for ##\overline{S}##. So there exists a sequence ##\{x_n\} \subseteq \overline{S}## such that ##\lim_{n\to\infty}x_n = x##. So by the definition of convergence there exists ##N_1## such that ##d(x_{N_1},x) < \epsilon /2##, where ##\epsilon## is an arbitrary positive real number. Note that in particular that ##x_{N_1}\in \overline{S}##, so there exists a sequence ##\{y_m \}\subseteq S## such that ##\lim_{m\to\infty}y_m = x_{N_1}##. So by the definition of convergence there exists ##N_2\in \mathbb{N}## such that ##m\ge N_2## implies ##d(y_m,x_{N_1}) < \epsilon /2##. So if ##m \ge N_2## then ##d(y_m,x) \le d(y_m,x_{N_1}) + d(x_{N_1},x) < \epsilon /2 + \epsilon /2 = \epsilon##. Hence ##\lim_{m\to\infty}y_m = x##, and so that ##x## is a limit point for ##S##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see any flaw. Looks solid. Was that your question?

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##M## be a metric space. Prove that ##\overline{\overline{S}} = \overline{S}## for ##S\subseteq M##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First we know that ##\overline{S} \subseteq \overline{\overline{S}}## is true (just take this for granted, since I know how to do it and it's the other direction that I am interested in).

Second, we want to show that ##\overline{\overline{S}} \subseteq \overline{S}##. So let ##x## be a closure point for ##\overline{S}##. So there exists a sequence ##\{x_n\} \subseteq \overline{S}## such that ##\lim_{n\to\infty}x_n = x##. So by the definition of convergence there exists ##N_1## such that ##d(x_{N_1},x) < \epsilon /2##, where ##\epsilon## is an arbitrary positive real number. Note that in particular that ##x_{N_1}\in \overline{S}##, so there exists a sequence ##\{y_m \}\subseteq S## such that ##\lim_{m\to\infty} x_{N_1}##.
I think you mean ##\lim_{m\to\infty}y_m=x_{N_1}##.
So by the definition of convergence there exists ##N_2\in \mathbb{N}## such that ##m\ge N_2## implies ##d(y_m,x_{N_1}) < \epsilon /2##. So if ##m \ge N_2## then ##d(y_m,x) \le d(y_m,x_{N_1}) + d(x_{N_1},x) < \epsilon /2 + \epsilon /2 = \epsilon##
... for ##m > \max\{\,N_1,N_2\,\}.##
Hence ##\lim_{m\to\infty}y_m = x##, and so that ##x## is a limit point for ##S##.

fresh_42 said:
I think you mean ##\lim_{m\to\infty}y_m=x_{N_1}##.

... for ##m > \max\{\,N_1,N_2\,\}.##
Why does ##m > \operatorname{max}\{ N_1,N_2 \}##?

While it may be correct, it is instructive to look for a proof where you don't use the metric: the statement is true in general topological spaces.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Mr Davis 97 said:
Why does ##m > \operatorname{max}\{ N_1,N_2 \}##?
You need ##m > N_1## for ##d(x,x_{N_1}) < \varepsilon /2## and ##m > N_2## for ##d(y_m,x_{N_1}) < \varepsilon /2\,.##

I'd like to explicitly support @Math_QED's suggestion to prove it without metric.

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
You need ##m > N_1## for ##d(x,x_{N_1}) < \varepsilon /2## and ##m > N_2## for ##d(y_m,x_{N_1}) < \varepsilon /2\,.##

I'd like to explicitly support @Math_QED's suggestion to prove it without metric.
I will consider that.

One more question though. Why does ##m> N_1## need to be the case for ##d(x,x_{N_1}) < \epsilon /2## if the latter statement does not depend on ##m## at all?

Mr Davis 97 said:
I will consider that.

One more question though. Why does ##m> N_1## need to be the case for ##d(x,x_{N_1}) < \epsilon /2## if the latter statement does not depend on ##m## at all?
I haven't analyzed whether it is actually needed or not. In case of doubt, simply increase ##N##. We only consider elements which are surely close, so why bother any others? If ##x_{N_1}## is close to both, ##y_m## and ##x##, I just thought "take no risk", because otherwise I would had to draw some pictures and analyze whether it comes automatically or not. And then again, why bother? We can chose ##N## as large as we like. But if you want to do the work ... go ahead; I don't think it's obvious, at least not to me.

1. What does it mean for a closure to be "just closure"?

A closure is a set of all limit points of a set. "Just closure" means that the closure of a set is the smallest closed set that contains all the limit points of the set.

2. Why is it necessary to show that the closure of a closure is just closure?

Showing that the closure of a closure is just closure is important in order to understand the properties of closures and their relationship to closed sets. It also helps to prove theorems and solve problems involving closures.

3. How do you prove that the closure of a closure is just closure?

The proof involves showing that the closure of a set is closed and contains all the limit points of the set. Then, the closure of the closure must also be closed and contain all the limit points of the original closure. Therefore, the closure of a closure is just closure.

4. Can you give an example to illustrate the concept of showing the closure of a closure is just closure?

Consider the set of rational numbers between 0 and 1, denoted as Q. The closure of Q is the set of real numbers between 0 and 1, denoted as [0,1]. The closure of [0,1] is also [0,1], since it is already a closed set that contains all the limit points of Q. Therefore, the closure of a closure is just closure.

5. Is the concept of showing the closure of a closure is just closure applicable to all sets?

Yes, the concept applies to all sets in a topological space. It is a fundamental property of closures that is used in many mathematical proofs and applications.