Is nano metal plating commercially available yet?

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metal Nano
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of nano-plating and its potential availability for commercial use. The speaker is interested in using gold and silver plating for multiple applications, but is looking for more information on the process and potential costs. They mention specifications for the plating such as substrate material, budget, and film quality. The conversation also mentions a previous post that may have been deleted.
Topher925
Not to long ago there was a lot of hubbub about nano plating and the low costs that comes with it. I was curious if anyone knows whether or not nano plating is commercially available yet or if its still in the research phase? I've got a lot of applications for gold and silver plating and would love to be able to make parts that didn't cost a small fortune.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Details please?

You want to coat Au/Ag (how thick?), on some substrate (what material, what dimensions, how many of them?). What's your budget, and what specs do you have for the film quality - allowed porosity, surface roughness, film thickness variation, compositional purity, crystallinity, anything else?

Also, do you have a reference for the kind of nano-plating that you'd heard about?

I replied to this last week but apparently my post disappeared. Weird.

You want to coat Au/Ag (how thick?), on some substrate (what material, what dimensions, how many of them?). What's your budget, and what specs do you have for the film quality - allowed porosity, surface roughness, film thickness variation, compositional purity, crystallinity, anything else?

Preferably Au but Ag might work as well. Thickness doesn't really matter. A few nanometers would be sufficient if done at a good enough quality. Substrate material would be aluminum, either 6061 or 7076. Budget would be around $300 for 10 or so 5x5x0.5cm aluminum blocks. The porosity would need to be relatively low, I don't have an numbers off the top of my head. Surface roughness, film thickness variation, and crystallinity don't really matter. Compositional purity depends on the impurities that are in the plating material.

1. What is nano metal plating?

Nano metal plating is a process in which a thin layer of metal is deposited onto a surface using nanoparticles. This allows for a more precise and uniform coating compared to traditional plating methods.

2. Is nano metal plating a new technology?

Nano metal plating has been around for several decades but has gained more attention and advancements in recent years due to advancements in nanotechnology and its potential applications in various industries.

3. How is nano metal plating used commercially?

Nano metal plating is commonly used in industries such as electronics, automotive, aerospace, and medical devices. It can be used for corrosion protection, improved conductivity, and to enhance surface properties such as hardness and lubricity.

4. Is nano metal plating commercially available yet?

Yes, nano metal plating is commercially available. Many companies offer nano metal plating services and products for various applications. However, the availability and accessibility of this technology may vary depending on location and industry.

5. What are the benefits of using nano metal plating?

Some of the benefits of using nano metal plating include improved corrosion resistance, enhanced surface properties, reduced friction and wear, and increased conductivity. It also allows for more precise and uniform coating compared to traditional plating methods.