Is nuclear fusion of Jupiter possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of fusing all the hydrogen in Jupiter into helium in one instant or a short period of time. It is deemed practically impossible, even for advanced humans in the far future. It is estimated that the energy released from such an event would be equivalent to 10^33 tons of TNT, and if it were to occur, Jupiter would become a star. The energy released from hydrogen-1 to helium-4 fusion is about 6*1014 J/kg, so fusing all the hydrogen in Jupiter would release approximately 1042 J, which is equivalent to the energy the sun emits in 70 million years.
Nivek Writer
Hello everyone,

I have a question about nuclear fusion.
The simplest form of nuclear fusion is the fusion of 4 hydrogen atoms
into 1 helium atom. Jupiter has a mass close to 1.9 * 1027 kg and around 90%
of its mass consists out of hydrogen -> 0.9 * 1.9 * 10 27 = 1.71 * 1027 kg.
I know that it is practically impossible to achieve, but is it theoratically possible to fuse all that hydrogen
into helium in one instant or in a very short time? If it is possible, how much energy would be released during
such an event? It would probably be extremely dangerous, but is there a way far more advanced humans could create such an event in the far, far future?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nivek Writer said:
Hello everyone,

I have a question about nuclear fusion.
The simplest form of nuclear fusion is the fusion of 4 hydrogen atoms
into 1 helium atom. Jupiter has a mass close to 1.9 * 1027 kg and around 90%
of its mass consists out of hydrogen -> 0.9 * 1.9 * 10 27 = 1.71 * 1027 kg.
I know that it is practically impossible to achieve, but is it theoratically possible to fuse all that hydrogen
into helium in one instant or in a very short time? If it is possible, how much energy would be released during
such an event? It would probably be extremely dangerous, but is there a way far more advanced humans could create such an event in the far, far future?

I think it isn't possible, given what we now know. Even in the most massive stars fusion is very slow.

If it were to occur I'd roughly estimate the energy would be equivalent to the explosion of an onzillion tons of TNT. That 10^33. I can't imagine what would happen.

The 90% are only true for the upper atmosphere, overall about 75% of its mass is hydrogen.

It is not possible. If it would, Jupiter would be a star. It might be possible to induce some fusion if you dump a medium-sized black hole into it. You can also collect deuterium (hydrogen-2, a very rare isotope of hydrogen) from Jupiter and use it in fusion bombs, but that is probably not the idea behind the question.

Hydrogen-1 to helium-4 fusion releases about 6*1014 J/kg, fusing all the hydrogen in Jupiter would release about 1042 J, roughly the energy the sun emits in 70 million years.

Likes Fizica7 and Imager

1. Can Jupiter's immense gravity be used to create nuclear fusion?

Yes, Jupiter's gravity is strong enough to compress hydrogen gas to extremely high pressures, which can trigger nuclear fusion reactions.

2. Is it possible to replicate the fusion process happening in the sun on Jupiter?

No, the fusion process on Jupiter would be different than that of the sun. Jupiter's high pressure and temperature would cause fusion reactions between hydrogen atoms, while the sun's fusion reactions involve hydrogen isotopes.

3. What challenges would scientists face in attempting to achieve nuclear fusion on Jupiter?

One major challenge would be safely transporting and containing the necessary hydrogen gas to Jupiter's atmosphere. Additionally, the extreme conditions of Jupiter's atmosphere would require advanced technology and materials to create and sustain a fusion reaction.

4. Could nuclear fusion on Jupiter potentially provide a sustainable source of energy?

It is possible, but currently not feasible. The technology and resources needed to create and maintain nuclear fusion on Jupiter are far beyond our current capabilities. Additionally, the cost and risks involved would likely outweigh the potential benefits.

5. What are the potential benefits and drawbacks of achieving nuclear fusion on Jupiter?

Potential benefits could include a near-limitless source of energy and a better understanding of fusion processes. However, drawbacks could include the high cost and risks involved, as well as potential impacts on Jupiter's atmosphere and environment.