Is Obama's Tax Plan Really Tax-Free?

• News
  • Thread starter porums
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Taxes
In summary, the conversation discusses Obama's plan to cut taxes and the suggestion to instead close loopholes for corporations who often pay little to no corporate income tax. The article posted by Gokul43201 on the Physics Forums thread addresses this issue and highlights the difficulty in determining the true tax rates for corporations due to various perks and subsidies they receive. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement that taxes can be a burden for individuals.
porums
Obama -- tax free ?

:cool: [coughing]
He said he would cut down tax

Physics news on Phys.org

Is there a point to this thread?

I heard that part of the speech. What he actually said was "I will cut Texas."

This is what I was excited about :biggrin:

porums said:
What are you talking about? Is there some specific event you are referring to? What is your point? It's not clear at all.

I think he means Obama will cut taxes. Which is true for people making less than $250,000 a year.

Closing loopholes would be better. Apparently about two-thirds of corporations pay no corporate income tax, because they can use accounting tricks to write off expenses that are not really expenses. I'll have to dig up the article.

porums said:

Please elaborate your question/point so we know what the purpose of this discussion is.

Astronuc said:
Closing loopholes would be better. Apparently about two-thirds of corporations pay no corporate income tax, because they can use accounting tricks to write off expenses that are not really expenses. I'll have to dig up the article.

I agree. And Gokul43201 posted an article about it on page 5 of the "What GOOD has George W. Bush done for the USA..." thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=249101&page=5

article:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/08/12/national/main4342535.shtml

As Gokul notes it's really hard to determine the tax rates of the corporations with all the perks, subsidies and corporate welfare they receive.

I only read the newspaper's article :smile:
True, tax may be a pain for people

With that, the thread is done.

1. What is "Obama - tax free"?

"Obama - tax free" refers to a proposal made by President Barack Obama in 2015 to eliminate taxes on certain investments for middle-class Americans.

2. How would "Obama - tax free" benefit middle-class Americans?

The proposal aimed to provide tax relief for middle-class Americans by allowing them to invest in tax-free savings accounts, which would help them save for retirement and other expenses without being taxed on their earnings.

3. Was "Obama - tax free" ever implemented?

No, the proposal was not implemented. It was part of President Obama's 2016 budget plan, but it did not pass in Congress.

4. What were the arguments for and against "Obama - tax free"?

The main argument for the proposal was that it would provide much-needed tax relief for middle-class Americans and encourage them to save for the future. The main argument against it was that it would decrease government revenue and potentially widen income inequality.

5. Are there any similar policies in place currently?

Yes, there are similar policies in place currently, such as Roth IRAs and Health Savings Accounts, which allow individuals to invest in tax-free accounts for certain expenses. However, these policies have eligibility requirements and contribution limits.