Is Osmosis a Phenomenon of Thermodynamics?

In summary, osmosis involves a pressure gradient caused by chemical potential and can be considered a phenomenon of thermodynamics. This is based on the ideal gas equation and osmotic pressure equation.
larsa
I have read that osmosis " works like a machine ". It lifts weight ( this is obvious ) on the expense of thermal energy.

Does anyone has any thoughts about how it consumes thermal energy?
Thank you in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
larsa said:
I have read that osmosis " works like a machine ". It lifts weight ( this is obvious ) on the expense of thermal energy.
Could you give a reference for that?

larsa said:
I don't see how this can be correct. Osmosis is based on a difference of chemical potential, not temperature. I wouldn't know how to qualify the kind of energy it consumes, but it is not thermal, nor chemical (in the usual sense of that word).

Likes larsa
DrClaude said:
Could you give a reference for that?I don't see how this can be correct. Osmosis is based on a difference of chemical potential, not temperature. I wouldn't know how to qualify the kind of energy it consumes, but it is not thermal, nor chemical (in the usual sense of that word).

Thanks for your answer. I don't remember the text where i met this expression but per example the hyperphysics article defines osmosis as a diffusion process driven by internal energy and internal energy is defined as energy associated with random motion of molecules.

That is something like thermal energy if i understand what i read.

Osmosis is a pressure gradient, caused by chemical potential. Think potassium and sodium.

Likes larsa
Kevin McHugh said:
Osmosis is a pressure gradient, caused by chemical potential. Think potassium and sodium.
When you have time, could you explain what you mean?

larsa said:

Thank you in advance.
I don't know what you mean by "consumes thermal energy."
But anyways, yes osmosis can be considered as being a phenomenom of thermodynamics.

If you take the ideal gas equation, PV=nRT, and arrange it just a bit, you get,
P=(n/V)RT

Replace P with π, and n/V and you get the osomotic pressure equation
π = cRT, where c is the concentration of the solute in moles per liter.

You can read some discussion here,
http://urila.tripod.com/osmotic.htm

Likes larsa
256bits said:
I don't know what you mean by "consumes thermal energy."
But anyways, yes osmosis can be considered as being a phenomenom of thermodynamics.

If you take the ideal gas equation, PV=nRT, and arrange it just a bit, you get,
P=(n/V)RT

Replace P with π, and n/V and you get the osomotic pressure equation
π = cRT, where c is the concentration of the solute in moles per liter.

You can read some discussion here,
http://urila.tripod.com/osmotic.htm
Thank you for your answer and especially for the link

1. What is osmosis?

Osmosis is the movement of a solvent (such as water) through a semipermeable membrane from an area of lower solute concentration to an area of higher solute concentration.

2. What is a thermal machine?

A thermal machine is a device that converts heat energy into mechanical work.

3. How is osmosis related to thermal machines?

Osmosis can be considered a type of thermal machine because it involves the movement of water molecules due to differences in temperature and energy.

4. Can osmosis be classified as a thermal machine?

Yes, osmosis can be classified as a thermal machine because it involves the transfer of thermal energy to drive the movement of water molecules.

5. What are some real-life examples of osmosis as a thermal machine?

One example is the process of reverse osmosis, where water is forced through a semipermeable membrane using thermal energy to purify it. Another example is the movement of water in plants, where thermal energy from the sun drives osmosis to transport water and nutrients throughout the plant.