Is overcharging of mobile battery real ?

In summary, keeping a mobile battery connected to a high voltage after it has reached 100% charge used to be damaging for older types of batteries. However, modern battery systems have built-in intelligent charging circuitry that allows for indefinite charging without risk. While keeping a battery cool and not fully charged all the time can slightly increase its lifespan, it is not necessary to worry about it. The batteries and chargers are designed for convenient charging.
Frenemy90210
I think max. voltage of a mobile battery is 4.3 V and voltage of a USB charger is 5 V; My question is , if we keep the charging process on even after mobile battery is 100 % charged, is it true that it will damage the battery ? Does it reduce the life of a battery or does it reduce the charge holding capacity ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey Frenemy90210,

Some older types of batteries could indeed be damaged by keeping them connected to a high voltage even after they had reached 100% charge. Some older batteries would simply lose capacity. It was even possible for a battery's electrolyte to decompose, causing gases to be generated. The gases could physically damage the structure of the battery, and make it deform or explode.

The answer is very different for modern battery systems -- the kind you would charge over USB. Modern battery systems have intelligent charging circuitry built directly into the battery cells, and there are microcontrollers in both the charger and device that constantly monitor the charging process. These systems are really smart! You can leave a USB charger connected to your device indefinitely with no risk.

It is true that batteries experience the greatest stress when they are hot, and when they are fully charged. You can keep your battery healthy for more charge cycles if you keep it cool and don't leave it 100% charged all the time. This effect is fairly small, though -- you might get 650 charge cycles instead of 600.

My best advice? Charge your device whenever it is convenient, and don't worry about it. The batteries and chargers were designed for that kind of use.

Likes NascentOxygen and Greg Bernhardt

1. What is overcharging of mobile battery?

Overcharging of mobile battery refers to the phenomenon of leaving your phone plugged in to charge after it has reached 100% battery capacity. This can potentially damage the battery and decrease its overall lifespan.

2. Is overcharging of mobile battery real?

Yes, overcharging of mobile battery is a real concern. Lithium-ion batteries, which are commonly used in mobile devices, can suffer from overcharging, leading to decreased battery life and potential safety hazards.

3. How does overcharging affect the battery?

Overcharging can cause the battery to overheat, which can lead to irreversible damage. It can also cause the battery to lose its ability to hold a charge, resulting in decreased battery life. In extreme cases, overcharging can even lead to battery explosions.

4. What can I do to prevent overcharging my mobile battery?

To prevent overcharging, it is recommended to unplug your phone from the charger once it reaches 100% battery. You can also use a smart charger that automatically stops charging once the battery is full. It is also important to use the correct charger and cable for your device, as using incompatible or cheap chargers can increase the risk of overcharging.

5. Can I leave my phone plugged in overnight?

Leaving your phone plugged in overnight can increase the risk of overcharging, especially if it reaches 100% battery capacity before you go to bed. It is best to unplug your phone once it is fully charged to avoid potential damage to the battery.