Is RFID the Best Choice for Long-Range Device Communication?

In summary: RFID or a similar technology is probably the best option for what you are looking for - it's very small, wireless, and has a long range.
G30RG3
RFID or better alternative??

I want to be able to transmit and receive a signal from one device to another; the devices need to be very small and very inexpensive.. I'm hoping for it to work over quite a long distance; definitely more than just 10m.. also if a battery or energy source is required that's fine, i can work to sort that out..

any suggestions? rfid seems to be quite useful; but what about bluetooth and any others? could i also not just use a simple radio wave?

i don't need to transmit any data, only a signal that can be sent and receivedd

Engineering news on Phys.org

RFID is the smart version of what you want (or so it seems) in that it usually transmits some kind of data (hence the "ID" moniker). Does the signal have to be omnidirectional? It seems like you could achieve the same thing with a light source and circuitry to tell whether it is "on" or "off."

primarily the signal needs to be transmitted wirelessly; hence rfid or an alternative is preferable
for the purpose of easier explanation; call the transmitter "A" and the receiver "B"

We don't know the location of "B" but we are holding "A"; I want to be able to stand in a room and find out the location of "B". It could be anywhere.
The location could be determined either by a signal sent form "A" to "B" and then a signal released from "B" (eg. sound); or the signal could be transmitted from "A" to "B" back to "A" and thus determining the location in this method. Simply, it is which ever is more efficient.
The receiver device is required to be very small and very cheap; the transmission does not require any data transfer, rather that when the signal is received at "B" it can cause a sound to be emitted; ie. like an on/ off switch yet activated with RFID (or alternative).

G30RG3 said:
primarily the signal needs to be transmitted wirelessly; hence rfid or an alternative is preferable
for the purpose of easier explanation; call the transmitter "A" and the receiver "B"

We don't know the location of "B" but we are holding "A"; I want to be able to stand in a room and find out the location of "B". It could be anywhere.
The location could be determined either by a signal sent form "A" to "B" and then a signal released from "B" (eg. sound); or the signal could be transmitted from "A" to "B" back to "A" and thus determining the location in this method. Simply, it is which ever is more efficient.
The receiver device is required to be very small and very cheap; the transmission does not require any data transfer, rather that when the signal is received at "B" it can cause a sound to be emitted; ie. like an on/ off switch yet activated with RFID (or alternative).

There used to be a product that let you find your lost keys. It was a fob that you attached to the keys, and when it received an RF signal, it beeped. Clever idea, but it never caught on. I suppose because you always had to be able to find the transmitter box, and if you couldn't remember where you kept leaving your keys, well then where did you leave the transmitter box?

You might look at garage door opener technology. The RF part is pre-licensed for you, and I would think that the receiver circuits are pretty jellybean and inexpensive. Beeping at the receiver is the right idea, if you are trying to find the receiver.

RFID generally needs a large antennae because it's also radiating the power for the transmitter.
Another possible approach is zigbee - a low power alternative to bluetooth, it also has a simple to implement 'device present' and 'device wakeup' protocol that you could use.

Related to Is RFID the Best Choice for Long-Range Device Communication?

What is RFID and why is it used?

RFID stands for Radio Frequency Identification, and it is a technology that uses radio waves to identify and track objects. It is commonly used for inventory management, supply chain management, and access control.

What are the main limitations of RFID technology?

One limitation of RFID technology is its short range, which typically ranges from a few centimeters to a few meters. It is also susceptible to interference from other radio frequency devices. Additionally, RFID tags can be expensive, making it impractical for some applications.

Are there any privacy concerns with RFID?

There have been concerns about the potential invasion of privacy with RFID technology, as it can be used to track individuals without their knowledge or consent. However, there are measures in place, such as encryption and access control, to protect sensitive information.

What are some potential alternatives to RFID?

Some potential alternatives to RFID include barcode technology, which is less expensive but requires line-of-sight scanning, and GPS tracking, which has a longer range but is less precise. Other emerging technologies, such as sensors and IoT devices, may also offer alternative solutions.

What are the benefits of using a better alternative to RFID?

A better alternative to RFID may offer improved functionality, such as longer range or higher precision, at a lower cost. It may also address privacy concerns and have a wider range of applications. Additionally, using a better alternative can lead to increased efficiency and productivity.