Is seeing believing in physics?

In summary, the speaker has been in the automotive field for almost 40 years and came across an unusual circuit with their research partner. They spent 3 years trying to understand it and then had it looked at by 2 PhDs from different universities. One said it was impossible based on a computer simulation, while the other couldn't explain it with their equipment. The speaker wants to know if something is really happening if it can't be explained. However, the discussion turns to the topic of hoaxes and the need for a clear topic for the conversation.
Wattif
I am new here and I am not going to say I have any formal schooling in physics or electrical engineering. I have been in the automotive field for almost 40 years.
What I am getting at is, myself and my research partner came across a very unusual circuit about 4 years ago. We spent about 3 years trying to understand what we were seeing.
Last year we decided to have it looked at by 2 different PhD's from 2 different university's.
Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and USF in Tampa.
Both admitted to seeing what is believed to be impossible, using their own equipment. One did a computer simulation and said what he saw was not real because the computer said it could now happen. The other did believe it was happening but then started to question his equipment after a while because he could not make sense of any readings he saw.
Before I go any farther about this I wanted to see what type of response I get here.
It seems no one believes that electricity can be applied in a circuit other than the way its been done sense the mid 1800's
So, if you see something happen but can't explain it, is it really happening?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wattif said:
Before I go any farther about this I wanted to see what type of response I get here.
You are not going to get any meaningful answer with such a meaningless question. Give the specifics.

Wattif said:
So, if you see something happen but can't explain it, is it really happening?
The scientific approach is:
  1. "You see", i.e. there is a certain change in the configuration of your brain
    Now you have to eliminate all possibilities but the one, that actually the information from your eyes caused the effect.
  2. "Is it"
    Obviously did something happen by the first part of the examination. However, there is still the physical process of light from 3D objects fell somehow on your 2D retina. So the process of "seeing" which internal part we already considered has now to be considered by its external part in the reality.
  3. "happening"
    If the first two points are cleared, then we can start to reflect about all possibilities which led to the information transport. There will be usually various possibilities: from magic tricks, over illusions, to some others. E.g. a light in the sky can have really many explanations. All these have to be ruled out one by one in order to find the one, which explains what really did happen.
The common treatment, however, is to skip all of them and sell this solution as truth which fits best the personal intention. Understandable, because there are really many unknowns to be considered in the above process. And as long as they are unknowns, no conclusion must be drawn.

Likes russ_watters
Wattif said:
It seems no one believes that electricity can be applied in a circuit other than the way its been done sense the mid 1800's
This is a bit silly, both saying there is only one way to apply electricity to a circuit and that people believe it is the only way possible -- neither of which are true.

So please; just tell us what this thread is about. There is no need for a discussion on philosophy (not is this the place for it).

You should study the history of James Randi. He has exposed numerous hoaxes that fooled well qualified experts. Note that @fresh_42 mentioned magic.

You might say that exposing hoaxes is a separate and rare skill, and it is not explicitly taught in college.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi

This topic is not about science or engineering, and the question is poorly formed, so I'm going to close this thread.

Likes russ_watters

1. What does "seeing is believing" mean in physics?

In physics, "seeing is believing" refers to the concept that scientific theories and laws are based on observable evidence. In other words, in order for a theory to be accepted as true, it must be supported by experimental data that can be observed and measured.

2. Can we trust our senses in physics?

In general, our senses can be reliable in physics, but they can also be deceiving. Our eyes, for example, can easily be tricked by optical illusions. That's why scientists use instruments and conduct experiments to gather reliable data and validate their theories.

3. How does the concept of "seeing is believing" apply to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the concept of "seeing is believing" is more complex. The behavior of subatomic particles can be unpredictable and cannot always be directly observed. Instead, scientists use mathematical models and indirect evidence to understand and explain the quantum world.

4. Is seeing always necessary for believing in physics?

No, seeing is not always necessary for believing in physics. While observation and experimentation are crucial in the scientific method, there are also other ways of obtaining knowledge, such as mathematical reasoning and logical deductions.

5. How do scientists ensure that what they see is truly what is happening in the physical world?

Scientists use various methods to ensure that their observations accurately reflect the physical world. These include controlling variables, repeating experiments, and peer review. Additionally, advances in technology have allowed for more precise and accurate measurements, reducing the margin of error in observations.