Is Supercooled Silicon Similar to the Anomalous Behavior of Water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the anomalous behavior of liquid water between 0 and 4 Celsius degrees, specifically how it expands while cooled and how this relates to the anomalous behavior of ice floating in water. The question is whether or not these behaviors are correlated and if there is a microscopic correlation between the two. The article referenced does not provide an answer to this question. The conversation also touches on the density of water and how it differs from other substances. Some diagrams are presented to illustrate the point, and the discussion delves into the coefficient of thermal expansion and the structure of water molecules. Additionally, there is a mention of other elements that expand on freezing. The conversation concludes with a reference to a study that shows supercooled silicon
jaumzaum
Does the anomalous behavior of liquid water between 0 and 4 Celsius degrees (i. e. expands while cooled) have something to do with the other anomalous behavior of ice (i.e. floats in water)? Are those behaviors correlated ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Likes BillTre
jaumzaum said:
Does the anomalous behavior of liquid water between 0 and 4 Celsius degrees (i. e. expands while cooled) have something to do with the other anomalous behavior of ice (i.e. floats in water)? Are those behaviors correlated ?
What do you think?

Does an expanding volume - such as, say, an inflatable life preserver - affect its buoyancy?

DaveC426913 said:
What do you think?

Does an expanding volume - such as, say, an inflatable life preserver - affect its buoyancy?

Of course ice will float in water because it is less dense. But for me, the fact that water at 4°C has a maximum density has nothing to do with the fact that ice is less dense than water, as I am comparing 2 different phases. I want to understand if there is any microscopic correlation between these 2 facts, i.e. if any substance that presents a liquid phase denser than the solid phase would also present a maximum density point (different from its melting point, off course)

jaumzaum said:
Of course ice will float in water because it is less dense. But for me, the fact that water at 4°C has a maximum density has nothing to do with the fact that ice is less dense than water, as I am comparing 2 different phases.
I don't understand why you think they have nothing to do with each other; they're the same thing, it seems to me.

(Of course, the reason ice is less dense is because its solid crystalline matrix occupies more space per unit molecule than the formlessness of its liquid, but you know that.)

jaumzaum said:
I want to understand if there is any microscopic correlation between these 2 facts, i.e. if any substance that presents a liquid phase denser than the solid phase would also present a maximum density point (different from its melting point, off course)
How can this not be?
If a substance has a liquid phase denser than its solid phase, then it must have a maximum density that is liquid (unless you posit a substance that continue to get less dense the colder it gets.)

But my comments are rhetorical; I assume I am missing the crux of your question - and thus merely muddying the waters - so I'll let someone else step in.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
(unless you posit a substance that continue to get less dense the colder it gets.)
And even more unlikely it would need to get continually more dense with increasing T to deny a minimum

Likes DaveC426913
DaveC426913 said:
If a substance has a liquid phase denser than its solid phase, then it must have a maximum density that is liquid (unless you posit a substance that continue to get less dense the colder it gets.)

I think I am probably the one who is not getting it right. I will try to illustrate, this is the density diagram for water:
1603423712463.png

My question is, why couldn't it be this way (ice still floats in water, but liquid water does not have a local maximum anymore)?
1603424018374.png

Or this way (ice is now denser than water, but water still have a maximum local density):
1603424248350.png

Likes Vanadium 50 and hutchphd
I liked that message, because it's now clear enough to start to answer.

Diagram 2 asks the question "why is water's coefficient of thermal expansion negative?" because both liquid and solid have positive coefficient of thermal expansions in that sketch Do you want an answer for that?

Diagram 3 has the density go up once the liquid is cooled past its phase transition - i.e. the molecules get closer together. Do you want an answer for that?

jaumzaum said:

It is actually something different. The anomaly of liquid water results from a transition from an irregular "structure" to a local tetrahedral structure with higher specific volume. The further reduction of density during cristallisation results from a transition from the local tetrahedral structure to a hexagonal structure with an even higher specific volume.

Last edited:
There are multiple elements that also expand on freezing: Ga, Si, Ge, Sb, Bi, Pu.
Do any of these display a density maximum within a single phase, as water does?

1. What is anomalous behavior of water?

The anomalous behavior of water refers to the unique and unexpected physical and chemical properties of water compared to other liquids. This includes its high boiling and melting points, high surface tension, and maximum density at 4 degrees Celsius.

2. What causes the anomalous behavior of water?

The anomalous behavior of water is caused by the strong hydrogen bonding between water molecules. This bonding allows water to form a network of interconnected molecules, resulting in its unique properties.

3. How does the anomalous behavior of water affect living organisms?

The anomalous behavior of water is crucial for the survival of living organisms. For example, the high surface tension of water allows insects to walk on its surface, and the maximum density at 4 degrees Celsius allows aquatic life to survive in cold temperatures.

4. Can the anomalous behavior of water be explained by the structure of water molecules?

Yes, the structure of water molecules, with its bent shape and polar nature, plays a significant role in the anomalous behavior of water. The arrangement of hydrogen bonds between water molecules contributes to its unique properties.

5. Are there any practical applications of the anomalous behavior of water?

Yes, the anomalous behavior of water has various practical applications, such as in the regulation of body temperature in living organisms, the transportation of nutrients in plants, and the functioning of cooling systems in cars and buildings.