Is taking AP Chem and both Physics C's a good idea?

In summary, the speaker has been accepted into their state's residential high school and plans on taking a challenging course load for their junior and senior years. They are taking several AP courses to fulfill prerequisites for their desired senior year classes and have concerns about managing their workload while also participating in extracurricular activities. They estimate 1-2 hours of homework per night for each AP class, with a maximum of 3-4 hours on a bad day. They also mention the possibility of homework from sports or other activities. They seek advice from others who have taken a similar course load.
MegaAmpharos
I got accepted into my states's residential high school and am going there next year for my junior and senior years. For my junior year I am doing:

AP English Lang
AP US History
AP Calc BC
AP Chemistry
AP Physics C M and EM (combined)
AP Comp Sci

I am taking these courses to satisfy prereqs for the classes I want to take senior year, and the course catalog for my school seemed to make Physics C appear accessible to those who had never taken a physics class/calculus class before. My senior year I am interested in taking:

AP English Lit
Multivariate Calc/Abstract Algebra
Research/Honors Gov & Econ
Modern Physics/Fluids, Thermodynamics and Optics
AP Bio
Robotics/Artificial intelligence

(A / separates semesters)

I am in two AP classes this year, AP Stat and World, though between my other classes I still get about 1-2 hours of HW a night, maybe 3-4 on a bad day :P.

For anybody who has taken a similar course load, was this manageable for you? I plan on doing sports and extracurriculars as well.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
MegaAmpharos said:
I am in two AP classes this year, AP Stat and World, though between my other classes I still get about 1-2 hours of HW a night, maybe 3-4 on a bad day :P.

For anybody who has taken a similar course load, was this manageable for you? I plan on doing sports and extracurriculars as well.

Thanks!

Okay, let's assume a half hour of homework per AP class per night minimum, and 1.5 hours of homework per AP class per night maximum, on average. So you would have between 3 and 9 hours of homework per night. Are you okay with getting home at 4PM and working until 7PM or 1AM? You say you want to do sports, are you okay with getting home from a baseball game (or whatever) at 9PM and working until midnight or 6AM?

It completely depends on the teacher and the school, AP courses are in no way standardized.

1. Is it necessary to take AP Chemistry and both Physics C courses?

It ultimately depends on your academic and career goals. AP Chemistry and Physics C are rigorous courses that can help you prepare for college-level science courses and potentially earn college credit. If you are interested in pursuing a STEM career or attending a competitive university, taking these courses may be beneficial.

2. Are AP Chemistry and Physics C difficult?

These courses are known to be challenging, as they cover advanced concepts in chemistry and physics. However, with strong study habits and dedication, many students are able to succeed and even excel in these courses.

3. Are there any prerequisites for AP Chemistry and Physics C?

It is recommended to have taken introductory chemistry and physics courses before enrolling in AP Chemistry and Physics C. Additionally, having a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry is helpful for understanding the mathematical concepts in these courses.

4. How can taking AP Chemistry and Physics C benefit me?

Aside from potentially earning college credit, taking these advanced science courses can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in any career. Additionally, these courses can demonstrate to colleges and universities that you are capable of handling challenging coursework.

5. What are some tips for success in AP Chemistry and Physics C?

Some tips for success include staying organized, actively participating in class, seeking help when needed, and consistently reviewing material. It can also be beneficial to form study groups with classmates and utilize practice tests and review materials to prepare for exams.